Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I was leaving a parking lot the other day and accidently drove over the little median in the parking lot at 3-5mph and when I got onto the street and slowed down from around 40mph the steering shook violently almost like a warped rotors feeling. got on the freeway and tested a few times and it shook just a tiny bit when I braked lightly.
No the shake is totally gone, anybody know what might have caused it.
it's a 2007 Tundra 5.7 DC only mod is the front end lift spacers.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I can think of several things that could have caused it, but the only one that might go away is a tire problem. I suggest you check that tire over to see if there's a problem with the sidewall.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
If the problem came and went, it's a tire problem for sure. As said before, I'd look at the sidewalls (inside and outside) to make sure there's no visible separation in the tread.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i've had that same problem with my aftermarket wheels,except mine only lasted about 30 feet and went away,checked over the whole tire,couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.i'm starting to wonder if has something to do with the way the four wheel drive setup is on these trucks?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I've driven 200 miles since and nothing. I will look at the tire in the morning.
Any other suggestions besides the tire?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Could be you have warped front brake rotors if it only happens upon braking. After you went over that curb it may have made you take better notice to a already existing problem. My front rotors and brake pads were replaced at 5500 miles because of a steering wheel vibration i noticed while driving down hill and applying light brake pedal pressure.

Its hard to imagine that hitting a curb in a parking lot between 3-5 mph would have any ramification on these trucks, they are quite stout underneath. I don't understand why Toyota engineers would go from a 6 lug wheel bolt pattern on the 1 gen Tundra to a 5 lug pattern on 2 gen which is much more truck.

Should take it to the dealership and tell them steering wheel vibrates upon light braking, a friend had front rotors and brakes replaced for free at 22,000 miles under that one time customer satisfaction benefit they don't tell you about.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The rims have weights on them to balance them, maybe you knocked one of them off?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hitting curbs can cause numerous issues, just depends on how hard ya smacked it, my better 1/2 smacked a curb in a parking lot in her Camry and ruined both rt tires and wheels, bent front strut shaft 1/2" and had to do alignment after strut replacement and wheel and tire replacement! first thing i would do is a wheel balance on affected wheels and i would do the road force balance which checks tire & rim and go from there! Toyota rims have been noted for being almost perfectly round and no runout! Only a road force balance checks the rim runout and tire can be damaged on the inside from curbs and not be noticable from outside!If ya have substandard OEM tires you will be doing yourself a favor on upgrading to a better quality tire!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hitting curbs can cause numerous issues, just depends on how hard ya smacked it, my better 1/2 smacked a curb in a parking lot in her Camry and ruined both rt tires and wheels, bent front strut shaft 1/2" and had to do alignment after strut replacement and wheel and tire replacement! first thing i would do is a wheel balance on affected wheels and i would do the road force balance which checks tire & rim and go from there! Toyota rims have been noted for being almost perfectly round and no runout! Only a road force balance checks the rim runout and tire can be damaged on the inside from curbs and not be noticable from outside!If ya have substandard OEM tires you will be doing yourself a favor on upgrading to a better quality tire!
Wow that must have been a hard hit to create such damage:shocked:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Just a thought...maybe it had something to do with the VSC system and not the tire. Any change in wheel speed is sent to the computer and corrections are made in the VSC without driver input. I really noticed this only once when I had the right two wheels in the dirt and the two left wheels on blacktop and tried to brake pretty hard. The truck stopped OK, but there were a lot of funny noises and a shudder throughout the truck.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Wow that must have been a hard hit to create such damage:shocked:
not sure how fast but it was probably under 20MPH? It was on an AFB and my wife hit a HUGE curb that should have been removed years ago and it is a little taller than the average curb! but i say she was doing 15 MPH maybe? She called me crying about i had a flat! and we only lived about a mile from the accident site so i told her i would be ther in a minuteand wheni got there , 2 blown tires and only 1 spare tire and what a mess!!rims were toasted !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the tires and rims are stock, looked at the tires and they are totally fine, as with the rims. it drives totally straight so I doubt a weight got knocked off.
It has always had a tiny steering wheel shake when braking very lightly.
Taking it to the dealer to see what's up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
wow...... Cant even mall crawl in a tundra? :D

Try getting them rebalanced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts