Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get some experiences from fellow owners, even if you have to do some field trials in the next few weeks :D.

Just had the DTE show zero, drove 2 additional miles, and put 22.7 gallons in tank (completely topped off). Tank capacity is 26.4 per manual, meaning there may have been about 3.7 gallons remaining in tank, thereabouts.

So what I'm getting at is my vehicle MAY have about 55 miles of range (3.7 gallons times 15 mpg) when the DTE reads zero. Now I can tell wife she (as well as I) don't have to panic when DTE reads zero, and that we may have around 40 miles left before we need to start lacing up the sneakers and reaching for the gas can! Of course pushing your luck is not advisable, but it is very improtant to know the limitations of your vehicle for that one time every several years when you need to know it.

How far have you fellow owners gone past DTE, mileage-wise, and lived to tell about it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Too funny!! I've not tried it yet! Every time I get close to the "0" mark, and try to go to the next gas station...my wife will get very upset with me. I'll have to keep an extra gas can in the back and then try it. I know there has to be more gas in there....

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I've driven past the DTE "0" mark several times, as much as 30+ miles before filling.
I've drove till the needle hit the "E".
With the guage hitting the mark above "E", the DTE hits the 0 miles and a fillup takes about 23 gals

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
To many varialbe to trust the DTE values in my experiences as well. Nice feature but gimmickie. I use the fuel gauge (until the POT on the sending unit until it starts to wacking out). Any way to recalibrate the avg miles per gallon on that silly computer. It consistantly reads 2 mpg more that what I calcuate off the odometer and the gas receipt inbetween fills.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
the farthest i have gone and this was last week was 68 mi before i got scared that i didnt want to hike with a gas jug to the gas station

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm nearing 180,000 miles on my truck and have taken note of DTE many times. I remember the first time it happened to me, I had no idea what would happen. I reached 0 miles to empty, and was on a stretch of highway where there were no exits for at least 20 miles. Needless to say, I was nervous as hell.

But yes, when mine reaches 0, there are about 3.5 gallons remaining. It's a nice little "reserve" to make you second guess yourself as to not run out of fuel. Also, if you do a fuel economy calculation based on your trip computer's DTE, you should actually divide it by about 23 gallons - not the full tank, as that extra 3.X gallons are still remaining "hidden" in the "reserve" past 0 miles DTE. However, living in a state that is flat regardless of where you go might keep it at 3.5 gallons all the time. Perhaps if you live in hilly areas, it might change your "reserve", so take caution.

When my truck was newer and I actually drove the speed limit (70), I would actually manage 460 miles on 23 gallons - 20 mpg exactly. Was fairly impressive, imo. Nowadays I get about 16-17, which is fine as I normally go at least 80 or whatever traffic is doing. Gotta start learning what the new generation Ford Taurus headlights look like - that is the next Police Interceptor for 2011/2012, if you guys haven't seen.

2012 Ford Taurus Police Interceptor Revealed!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, just went 20 miles past DTE=0, and when I filled up I backed out that I had about 2+ gallons left in fuel system. Done similar a couple other times and numbers say the same thing. Moral of the story for me and my 15.7 avg mpg Sequoia:

I can go upwards to 40 miles past DTE=0, probably 50, but would not want to push 60. Of course I will never want to push my luck but it is nice knowing the limitations of your machine. Thanks all who've responded.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
The 'reserve' capacity is designed to allow you to find a gas station w/o going bone dry. Also note that the DTE fluctuates based on several factors, such as speed, rpms, idle, etc. It's just a 'simple' computer. Don't use it to figure your mpgs either. To get an accurate reading on mpgs, do the math: trip odo and how much gas you had to put in the tank to fill it. MPGs has nothing to do with your 'reserve'.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last post on this subject...by accident, just had to go 27 miles past the DTE=0 mark, filled up with 24 gallons, leaving theoretically 2 gallons to go. For me, I think my vehicle can go almost 60 miles past DTE=0. I will never approach that, but I think 50 miles past DTE=0 is do-able if absolutely necesssary.

Thanks all who posted.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have gone 25 miles or so past the DTE 0 mark several times, but usually hit a gas station when it shows empty....last fillup I went 378 miles on a tank. It took about 22 gallons to re-fill and I got about 17.1 on the tank with mostly city and maybe 75 hwy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts