Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have created a new thread and started over.(problems with links and crap). i have been looking at getting a duel battery set up for a wile now and have always been thrown by the cost. I was looking at just making one from scratch and trying to save some cash, but i wanted to be a able to still monitor my batteries. The kits that did all this were upwards of 300 to 400 dollars, to much for me. Until one day i was looking on ebay for the umpteenth time and found this kit ( VORTEX 12V DUAL BATTERY KIT JEEP BOAT 4X4 CAMPER MARINE - eBay (item 160418506041 end time Apr-05-10 09:01:43 PDT) ) its is the same kit from national luna but for less than half the price. So i jumped on it and bought it for 155.00.

Here is what comes in the kit
  • about 20ft of 4awg cable
  • tons of soterless conecters
  • 8-4awg soderless conectors
  • 6 small conecters for adding in axilery items
  • 1 intelegent soleniod with 85amp consistant rating
  • 1 controler
  • 1 resetable braker
  • 1 80 amp fuse
  • 2 set of new battery termanls to replace the old oem one (did not use)
  • 2 small fuse holder with small fuses

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: duel battery install

ok so for now here are some pics of the install.

blue sea fuse block 15$ on ebay what a steal

4awg cable

fuse block and inline 60 amp fuse

pic of my old fuse block and relays

pic of my crowded engine bay not to many places to put stuff

spot for my blue sea fuse block found and utilized by a peace of free still from class

pic of 60amp inline fuse running to the blue sea fuse block

pic of mounted blue sea fuse block

pic of the inline fuse for the intelligent solenoid came in kit

intelligent solenoid mounted

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pics continued

a cautionary note about mounting any thing here you need to make sure you leave enough clearence for the hood to close

battery box

battery of choice 75 buck at walmart

cable routing through the engine bay

a trickle charger will be mounted in the engine bay to help keep up the charge on my batteries more on this later

battery controller cable routing into the cab

Duel battery controller with both batteries connected

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Very nice. But ... why you want two batteries?
To provide power to accessories without having to run down the main starting battery. Usually to run aux. lights, winch, compressor, fridge, stereo, etc...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fist off here is a break down of the cost of my set up
intelligent soleniod 155$
20ft of fine strand 4awg copper wire 10$ on ebay
blue sea fuse box 12$ normaly retail for 45$
soderless conections (kit) 300pc 9.99 harbor frieght
batterie box 15$ on ebay
marien batterie 75$ at walmart (the evil company )
other mislanios part 15$

Total 291.99

now the reason for all of this i work out of my truck and use it for every thing so i am installing a fridge that runs on 12 volts and an inverter for running my laptop and some other stuff and i needed the extra power of a second battery to make it all work. Also liked the security of knowing that if i drain a battery i can still start my truck up without having to jump start it. i also wanted to be able to charge the batteries in my boat wile driving. and run some lights in camp.... Basically i had a high demand for power wile out on a daily basis wether it be studying at school or out camping for a weekend. my other option was a small generator or some solar panels with a battery system but these were two expensive to work for me at this point. maybe some time down the road i will ad some solar power for longer stationary trips and such.

the install

the install was fairly strait forward and went well. the hardest part of the hole thing was finding a place for the blue sea fuse box. i used 4awg wire to connect blue sea fuse block to the starting battery as i will be running all my auxiliary light, CB, and ARB air pump off it. As well as a transmission cooler fan. i may end up changing the fuse out from 60amp fuse to an 80amp fuse if it goes out any time soon but i wont ever be running every thing at once so it should be ok. now onto the duel battery set up there is a 80amp fuse on the starting battery side and a 65amp resettable breaker on the auxiliary battery side. Also tide into the blue sea fuse box is a trickle charger with 110v plug in to help keep the charge over night when i can plug in at the house and so forth.

more to come on the install tomarrow

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i like the trickle charger approach you took. i have used a trickle charger for years on equipment that doesn't get used over the winter, but i never thought about wiring one into my truck. makes sense with your set up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya its great to have it in there i only drive it to work which happens to be about 2 miles away and in the summer i just ride my bike so the battery can drain over time and i ended up with a dead battery and the great news is that it trips the solenoid before the charger goes into float mode and it charges both batteries without me having to do any thing

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so here is some good news about the trickle charger when i put it in I was not sure it would charge both batteries without me turning on the solenoid manually but the solenoids was able to pic up the charge and turn on automatically and it charges both batteries and then when they are full the charger goes into float mode and the solenoid turns off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts