Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have been looking at getting a duel battery set up for a wile now and have always been thrown by the cost. I was looking at just making one from scratch and trying to save some cash, but i wanted to be a able to still monitor my batteries. The kits that did all this were upwards of 300 to 400 dollars, to much for me. Until one day i was looking on ebay for the umpteenth time and found this kit ( VORTEX 12V DUAL BATTERY KIT JEEP BOAT 4X4 CAMPER MARINE - eBay (item 160418506041 end time Apr-05-10 09:01:43 PDT) ) its is the same kit from national luna but for less than half the price. So i jumped on it and bought it for 155.00. The kit came to day it has every thing u need and then some.
pic of the kit are be low and the install is to fallow.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Ok so i have been looking at getting a duel battery set up for a wile now and have always been thrown by the cost. I was looking at just making one from scratch and trying to save some cash, but i wanted to be a able to still monitor my batteries. The kits that did all this were upwards of 300 to 400 dollars, to much for me. Until one day i was looking on ebay for the umpteenth time and found this kit ( VORTEX 12V DUAL BATTERY KIT JEEP BOAT 4X4 CAMPER MARINE - eBay (item 160418506041 end time Apr-05-10 09:01:43 PDT) ) its is the same kit from national luna but for less than half the price. So i jumped on it and bought it for 155.00. The kit came to day it has every thing u need and then some.
pic of the kit are be low and the install is to fallow.

this is pretty cool! so where are you going to mount your second battery? i have been considering this mod lately. it will be interesting to see how it pans out for you. will you be adding an ac converter during the install? why exactly are you installing a second battery? good post. looking forward to the pics.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
I have heard problems arising from the use of those mechanical solenoids in a dual setup. I'd urge you NOT to skimp on this. The solid-state Hellroaring isolator/combiner component provides far less resistance (more throughput) and resists the power input rush (the welding effect) that the diode solenoids are subject to.

These guys know their stuff. It is the way to go.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have heard problems arising from the use of those mechanical solenoids in a dual setup. I'd urge you NOT to skimp on this. The solid-state Hellroaring isolator/combiner component provides far less resistance (more throughput) and resists the power input rush (the welding effect) that the diode solenoids are subject to.

These guys know their stuff. It is the way to go.
Dual battery kit for less= electrical wiring problems for more.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
On an older car, I wouldn't worry, but on a Tundra there's no room to go cheap in the electrical department. The saying for electrical goes, "Once you let the smoke out, it's too late". With most things, if there are a few kits in close price range, and one kit that is super cheap, there is always a reason for the price difference.
Not wishing any bad luck on you, we will be watching.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i have had a dual battery set up for several years now.
it was to help with my 1800+amps audio. all jl audio.
i have a battery isolator.
i had it professional installed.
so i'd be no help on installion.
when it comes to many thing's, i'd rather pay the expert's.
i have the toyota up-graded battery (exide), that runs the tundra,
& a 150 amp sequoia alternator, &
a 1800 kinetik battery as the 2nd battery it helps run my audio,
with a i belive a 1.5cap.
i belive all is run with 4guage wiring.
i know soon i will have to replace both battery's. since it's been several years now.
both are under my hood.

if anyone can get the member who ran the 2007 TS south florida meet,
member: " mostsleek "!!!!!!!!!!
to re-post the pictures.
i have asked many times, and he will not even respond.

but yet i see him on the site.
this web site tell's you when you are on, or last time you were on this site.
you will have a few pictures of under my hood, it will show you exactly where the battery will fit.
i hope it help's, it also should show you where they put the battery isolator.
each items i have, i belive have (huge) fuses.
good lock, i have had it for years without any issue's.
so yes, it can be done.
just make sure you do it right.
anything i belive like this must be done correctly, or you might have a fire.
it looks like you are heading in the right direction, lets hope it all goes well.

i do hope someone or anyone that knows him,
can get him to at least send you the pictures.
it would be better to post them , just in case more members want to do this.
especially if you want to run extra equipment, you will be able to.
so you all will have a better idea of where it fit's & how.
hopefully due to the picture's.
good luck,
gorilla

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
PM TS member rambrush. He has the dual battery setup you're looking to do. Here's his post about the install, and here's his album with pics.

Also, members TMS2U and imjin have info as well.

This guy did a dual setup (1 redtop, 1 yellowtop Optima) using the Hellroaring isolator with excellent pics of the install locations, wiring, etc.

Here's another discussion we had sometime back about the pitfalls and risks of not doing this the right way, i.e. replacing your ECU to the tune of $800+, plus wiring harnesses, fuses, etc...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
There are areas where saving $$ is foolish: brakes, tires, brain surgery and maybe dual batteries set up ...

Your mileage may vary

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all images should be fixed let me know if they are not

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts