Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to decide what kind of exhaust to put on my 05 tundra. My dad got xlerator exhaust on his tundra and i was set on getting them but i was considering the flowmaster super 44. I was woundering if anyone had this setup. I wanted something louder than the xlerator and was woundering what the 44s sounded like on a 4.7 tundra? Any opinions would help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You might want to search "exhaust" and or "flowmaster".....theres PLENTY of guys running flowmasters here.

Also try youtube. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
go to youtube there is a ton. if you want true dual exhaust with an X or an H pipe with the super 44 off-road exhaust it would be the most bad *ss exhaust to date.... if you want loud take out the resonator put in a Y pipe promise you wont be disappointed ran it for a while loudest truck iv heard but rattled all welds and brackets loose. i currently have X with glass packs and its perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 04's exhaust has dual pipes right off of the manifolds that run all the way back into a flowmaster 40, and they exit from the 40 as dual pipes as well. It doesn't matter if i'm WOT or just cruising, it is loud, but to me it's not obnoxious. What was obnoxious was when it was straight piped all the way back

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I replaced my stock resonator with a glass pack, installed an aeroturbine, and ran foolies off the back of the aeroturbine and love it. I am going to install headers once I get caught up on bills and am considering running dual glass packs and dual aeroturbines with a modified cross over between the glass packs and aeroturbines.

Originally when I installed the aeroturbine I had the stock resonator removed and had horrible (painful) drone on the highway. Putting the glass pack in solved that and the sound is perfect IMO.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If all you're looking for is more noise then any aftermarket muffler is a good muffler. But if you want that noise to be the byproduct of power, then you want a specific type of aftermarket muffler. I'll assume you want the later.

At lower rpm's your exhaust is traveling through the manifolds, into the tubing as pulses. When these pulses hit a restriction (a y-pipe, baffle, delta, louvered core, etc) they slow way down, then the next pulse hits the last pulse before hitting the actual restriction. Then the next pulse, the next, etc. etc. That's how backpressure occurs. You can also get backpressure by having the system over sized. When the high pressure exhaust gases hit the transition from small tubing to big tubing they expand and slow. Then the same thing that happens when they hit a restriction occurs.

What's the point? The point is that you want a smooth transition from the head to the tailpipe. You don't want the exhaust to hit a wall/delta, you don't want a spiral core, louver core, big pipes. You want the pressure to remain the same from the head to the tailpipe. People always ask me, "Keith, how is it 2.5" single exhaust loses power on a Tundra yet you're running 2.5" true dual and you gained 32HP to the ground dyno proven?" "Don't you lose backpressure?" The answer is YES I lose backpressure!!! This made power because you don't want backpressure!!! You want scavenging. Backpressure will act like smaller pipes and cause scavenging to happen way down in the powerband. That's why when some guys put on a baffle/delta style muffler (which is more restrictive than stock) they think they are making more power. It's just an illusion. There's a reason those mufflers run waaaay hotter than stock mufflers.

When you run a long primary tube header of the appropriate diameter you get scavenging without much backpressure:first: Then if you size the rest of the system correctly you get scavenging without much backpressure. And now the brain of the system, the muffler. If the muffler is built correctly it will give you backpressure at the bottom end, but release that backpressure up top so your scavenging can continue. There is a great write up on mufflers if you follow this link. In a nutshell: A properly built muffler can be looked at almost like oversized pipes. When the exhaust pulse hits a center core which is perforated a lot of the gases expand into the canister and slow down. The next pulse, then the next etc. hit the last creating backpressure. As your rpm's increase the canister pressurizes until the pressure is equal to the pressure in the exhaust system. When this happens the pulse goes straight through the muffler.

To sum it up. If you want power get long tube headers and true dual. When just cruising you won't even notice em, it's when you stomp on it you notice it. It doesn't change the characteristic of the vehicle much at all, just adds power. The sound is unreal too! The only problem with your 05 is you will have to weld air injection tubes on the headers to stay smog legal. I know DirtyDeeds Industries makes so awesome headers!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Here's the first set of mufflers I built when I went true dual.
It's a little raspy since they weren't sized correctly. They were prototypes and have since been replaced with a much better sized canister. It is still a little loud since I have also removed the cats. (race only) so I will be building a new set of mufflers here in the near future and putting the truck back on the dyno.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
^ what he said. :D
I ran a Flowmaster and I'll never do it again.:td:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Escondido, do your true duals increase your MPG?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts