Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Which set-up?

• Ebc slotted rotors with greenstuff pads.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ebc slotted rotors with hawk performance hps pads.

• Brembo slotted rotors with hawk performance hps pads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theses are the options that I have deemed affordable. Genuine Toyota parts were quoted as being higher priced from my local dealer.

Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Why do you need slotted rotors?
I just installed Brembo OEM replacement rotors and Akebono ceramic pads and find that the truck stops quite well.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Get upgrade to 2005+ brake calipers, brembo rotors and good pads. Same price anyway.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, my thought's exactly.
the 05/06 are suppose to be brembo calipers, even though they are oem toyota caliper's.
i was told by EBC to use the machine pro-cut the rotors i have,
which is the 2005 calipers & rotors and add there yellow pads.
for much better stopping.
i'm also going to figure a way to add a tube to direct the air flow to the rotor/caliper's.
thats my plan.
if you email EBC they will repond & advise you on whatever you tell them.
good luck,
gorilla

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
Why do you need slotted rotors?
I just installed Brembo OEM replacement rotors and Akebono ceramic pads and find that the truck stops quite well.
+2. Same Setup. Quality Brembo plain rotor and Akebono D812 pads. :tu:

1. Quality components
2. No shim kit(s) required
3. Cheaper than OEM!

Here's the invoice from partsgeek.com:

Parts Ordered
2002 Toyota Tundra Brake Rotor Brake Price: $72.75 Core: $0.00 Qty: 2 Part #: W0133-1615513

2002 Toyota Tundra Brake Pad Set Brake Price: $43.75 Core: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: W0133-1618779

Sub Total: $189.25
Shipping: $6.95
Handling: -$3.00
Tax: $0.00
Core: $0.00
Total: $190.20

Cross-drilled and slotted rotors will help prevent warped rotors...
No, it will not. What it WILL do is put you at risk of a cracked rotor. Cross-drilled/slotted rotors are pointless on our trucks. They simply reduce what you strive for on braking components: mass.

hi, my thought's exactly.
the 05/06 are suppose to be brembo calipers, even though they are oem toyota caliper's.
i was told by EBC to use the machine pro-cut the rotors i have,
which is the 2005 calipers & rotors and add there yellow pads.
for much better stopping.
i'm also going to figure a way to add a tube to direct the air flow to the rotor/caliper's.
thats my plan.
if you email EBC they will repond & advise you on whatever you tell them.
good luck,
gorilla
C'mon Gorilla... what else are they going to tell you? Buy someone else's parts?!?! :laughing3d:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get upgrade to 2005+ brake calipers, brembo rotors and good pads. Same price anyway.
I can't afford to buy the upgraded calipers. Ideally, that is what I would like to do but my dealership here doesn't have any that are used so I would be forced to purchase new calipers and all the hardware not counting new rotors and pads!

Also, there are no Tundras or Sequioas in any junkyards so I cant get them there.

I don't have time to wait for a set to come up as the rotors are warped badly, the whole truck wobbles when I brake. So, time is a factor and my truck is 10 years old and the brakes have been fine until now.

I know and can tell the brakes are undersized so I just want a quality replacement.

I was considering the slotted rotors by either Brembo or EBC as they are highly reputable companies and their slotted rotors are still cheaper than oem toyota rotors. Not only cheaper but slotted rotors are supposed to be better than oem so, both EBC and Hawk pads are advertised as better than oem.

All in all I need the best bag for the buck, calliper swap is out of the question as of now.

Thanks so far!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
No, it will not. What it WILL do is put you at risk of a cracked rotor. Cross-drilled/slotted rotors are pointless on our trucks. They simply reduce what you strive for on braking components: mass.
amen!! :tu::tu:

cross drilled and or slotted rotors are for showing not slowing.

i've seen where some folks also believe that the cross drilled and or slotted rotors help with the removal of gasses created by the break pads when they heat up. current technology used on most high quality break pads make this a non issue. and how many of us are going to be cooking our breaks that much anyway??? i concur that solid rotors are the best rotors for our trucks. and for my sports car also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
not to mention the drilled and slotted rotors will chew through your pads alot longer, guy i work with has em on his srt8 charger they come stcok that way 24 thousand miles and is replacing them.......again. his wife does have a heavy foot, but even still WhiteLiteNin said it right they are for showing not slowing, have you checked to see if your lateral runout was still within tolerance with your warped rotors, if so you could maybe have them turned if they arnt close to the machining limit

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
If you have the drums in the rear, Get only TOYOTA OEM rear brake shoes. I got 72K out of a set of OEM shoes. Some have gotten more than that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not to mention the drilled and slotted rotors will chew through your pads alot longer, guy i work with has em on his srt8 charger they come stcok that way 24 thousand miles and is replacing them.......again. his wife does have a heavy foot, but even still WhiteLiteNin said it right they are for showing not slowing, have you checked to see if your lateral runout was still within tolerance with your warped rotors, if so you could maybe have them turned if they arnt close to the machining limit
They have been turned before, by Toyota. Now, there isn't enough surface to turn them again, which leads me to believe that they were warped badly before and Toyota had to shave alot off, or Toyota just shaved alot off to get me in there sooner for the next time... who knows. It is hard trusting any mechanic with my truck because they all want money, thats why I like to do things myself.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have the drums in the rear, Get only TOYOTA OEM rear brake shoes. I got 72K out of a set of OEM shoes. Some have gotten more than that.
Im still on the original shoes, with 73,xxx miles. They said they were still fine too, only the rotors and pads need changing.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have gotten excellent service from my original brakes; 75K, with a lot of relatively heavy towing for the first two years, around 10 to 12K, and never messed with, so I would be inclined to replace with OE parts from Toyota, even if they are some bit more pricey. Also, in my experience with other Toyota's, and Honda's, aftermarket parts mixed in with stock stuff just does not work real well; I've done it, and eventually gone back to factory OE parts to get the best results.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
+2. Same Setup. Quality Brembo plain rotor and Akebono D812 pads. :tu:

1. Quality components
2. No shim kit(s) required
3. Cheaper than OEM!

Here's the invoice from partsgeek.com:

Parts Ordered
2002 Toyota Tundra Brake Rotor Brake Price: $72.75 Core: $0.00 Qty: 2 Part #: W0133-1615513

2002 Toyota Tundra Brake Pad Set Brake Price: $43.75 Core: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: W0133-1618779

Sub Total: $189.25
Shipping: $6.95
Handling: -$3.00
Tax: $0.00
Core: $0.00
Total: $190.20

C'mon Gorilla... what else are they going to tell you? Buy someone else's parts?!?! :laughing3d:
hi, your right. but if you read what there yellow pads are about. they are a PERFECT fit for what i want. they also list for $151.
compared to all other's i have seen, they are the most expensive.
zero brake in time, there ready for the street & or track.
read about the yellow EBC pads.
that is why i'm going with them.

tell me, what pads compare to the yellow?
i'll than consider them.
regards,
gorilla

·
Registered
474 Posts
I can't afford to buy the upgraded calipers. Ideally, that is what I would like to do but my dealership here doesn't have any that are used so I would be forced to purchase new calipers and all the hardware not counting new rotors and pads!

Also, there are no Tundras or Sequioas in any junkyards so I cant get them there.

I don't have time to wait for a set to come up as the rotors are warped badly, the whole truck wobbles when I brake. So, time is a factor and my truck is 10 years old and the brakes have been fine until now.

I know and can tell the brakes are undersized so I just want a quality replacement.

I was considering the slotted rotors by either Brembo or EBC as they are highly reputable companies and their slotted rotors are still cheaper than oem toyota rotors. Not only cheaper but slotted rotors are supposed to be better than oem so, both EBC and Hawk pads are advertised as better than oem.

All in all I need the best bag for the buck, calliper swap is out of the question as of now.

Thanks so far!
Best bang for the buck will not be slotted/drilled rotors. They do look cool though. From what I've read in this thread it seems that you WANT slotted/drilled rotors and that's OK. They will cost you more money going in than a good plain rotor and unless you plan on racing you'll never realize their true worth. Add in that they use pads more frequently than a good plain rotor and they'll cost you more there too.
What you'll be hearing is not a bang, but a big long term sucking sound coming from the wallet area.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, call or go to there web site-LKQ on line salvage yard.
see if they have a 2005/06 tundra front caliper's.
yes they will be used, but they warrenty them for 6months.
now you have much better caliper's.
you could also get the rotors too, if they have them.
now just buy whatever set of pads you want.
maybe they do have a aftermarket set up or the big brake kit, that was on a tundra already.
now you will have it all for almost nothing.
with nothing to loose, due to there warrenty.
just a thought.

as some have said, a awesome set up will cost you 10g's.
but if your not racing, & just want better stopping.
OEM 05/06 calipers & rotors & pad's are great.
not that good for high speed stopping.
they will work fine for about 5 times after that, you have to wait until they cool down.
gorilla

1 - 18 of 18 Posts