Toyota Tundra Forums banner

DW 18" TRD Rims, Lift... Clearance issues?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RCsTundra 
#1 ·
Aloha! I took delivery of a Darrell Waltrip edition 2006 4door Tundra. I'd really like to keep the stock look of the truck by using the TRD rims that are on the truck now without using wheel spacers, and gain a few inches of ground clearance with a small suspension upgrade. Right now, the truck appears to have the stock tires still on the rims (275 55 18).

I'll probably be upgrading the suspension with Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners and a pair of wheelers aal outback (front set at 2.5" of lift).

The TRD (BBS) rims are 18X9, with a 10 offset - by my calculations, it's roughly a 5.5 bs. If I go with a 275 65 18 tire (Nitto Terra Grappler), will I run into control arm issues? These tires have the same width as stock, just a couple inches taller.

I tried to search for info on UCA clearance and could not really find what I was looking for. How much clearance do aftermarket UCA create? Enough to run a 285 tire without wheel spacers? I'm thinking of 285 65 18 Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Lastly, will a longer rear brakeline be necessary with the Bilsteins and AAL? I know the Billys are slightly longer than stock, thus enabling more droop.

Pictures to follow... after the truck gets a bath.

Mahalo in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
if you get uca ull be fine on clearance although you will prob need to get wheel spacers if you go with the 285. if you put the aal in the back i dont know if you will be sitting level... it will have the same stance as now but slightly higher off the ground if that makes sense... the front will still be lower than the back. best of luck tho and congrats on the new truck

#3 ·
if you put the aal in the back i dont know if you will be sitting level... it will have the same stance as now but slightly higher off the ground if that makes sense... the front will still be lower than the back. best of luck tho and congrats on the new truck

It'll be a little different from stock.

My front is 34", my rear is 36 1/2". So w/ the Bilsteins on 2.5" that makes the front sit at 36 1/2" and w/ the 1 1/2" AAL out back that would make it sit at 38". Thats a 1 1/2" difference as opposed to stock which is 2 1/2".

To make a long story short, youre right, it wont sit level. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.