Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, looks like I found a speed-shop near my house that does dyno-tuning. I've heard about them from other peeps, but haven't called them yet for pricing. Anyhow, those of you that have had your trucks dyno-tuned, can you give me a heads-up on what questions I should ask?

Also, for custom tuning, who uses the URD Maf Calibrator... and who uses the Unichip, and what were your results? Did you have to bring in your own software from URD or Unichip to get the tune? Do I even need to have one of these "tuners" for a custom tune? Or, can the speed-shop change the programming without them? (Be gentle guys... I'm not a gear-head, just a driver!) :tu:

I might be "prematurely" excited about this, but it looks like I may be in luck for custom tuning, so depending on your recommendations, I'll be picking up one of the 2 above "tuners" soon.

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
One thing to watch out for on chassis dynos.....heat. Because your vehicle is not rolling through the wind as it would be on the road, there is a great potential for heat buildup. Make sure they have huge fans on the front of the dyno that can bowl people over with airflow. Also make sure anything loose near the exhaust system is tied away and/or made from heat resistant material so that it will not catch fire. I once had a fire start on my V8 Sunbird because of supposely heat resistant material near the exhaust during a dyno pull. Also be sure they give your truck enough cool down time between pulls. Like I said, things will get much hotter on the dyno....make sure it does not cause a problem.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Red4rr and I both have the Unichips and are considering buying the custom tuning software from Unichip for a little under $300 so we can share it. Of course this tuning will be accomplished using a laptop and not a dyno. The dyno software is around $500. I am waiting to see how great the Unichip Tune is with the headers added on to the mapping. If it is as great as it was before the headers, then I may not worry about the custom tuning.

Some of the guys in the San Diego area like Gutz, Socaliallstar, and maybe others used Andrew Fernandez to custom tune their Unichips. FDLAK in Florida used Hesco in Alabama to custom tune his Unichip. You may want to PM those guys for answers and opinions.

It is still NOT looking good anytime soon for Diablo's programmer to come out. You should be able to get a Unichip fairly cheap since some other members had bad experiences with them.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Not sure what stock tundras put out since i never dyno'd mine stock, but after true Magnaflow dual exhaust, H pipe, Volant CAI, and a 91 Octane custom unichip tune i put down 317 hp and 346 tq on a mustang dyno. The trick with the custom tuning is disabling the speed limiter on our trucks or the truck will down shift and not put out accurate numbers. The problem is only a few tuners (maybe just one?) know how to do this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think I might go out and actually try this. Looks like some people are getting good numbers. A guy on tundratalk says he put down 414 with just a custom tune

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay... those of you with CUSTOM tunes with your URD Maf or Unichip, please chime in with your results. It looks like there's 2 "Unichip" certified tuners in the Detroit area, but I've never heard of their shops before, so I'm a little skeptic about their abilities.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Red4rr and I both have the Unichips and are considering buying the custom tuning software from Unichip for a little under $300 so we can share it. Of course this tuning will be accomplished using a laptop and not a dyno. The dyno software is around $500. I am waiting to see how great the Unichip Tune is with the headers added on to the mapping. If it is as great as it was before the headers, then I may not worry about the custom tuning.
have you talked to unichip about buying software?
b/c i see they have alternative fuel tuner kit which is about 600
and they have uni tune kit which is 300(this is the software)
so i'm wondering is what is the 600dollar option?

idk i'm pretty tempted to buy the software so i can atleast use my chip

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I think I might go out and actually try this. Looks like some people are getting good numbers. A guy on tundratalk says he put down 414 with just a custom tune
Just read that thread. Looks like the numbers aren't correct or possibly estimated at the crank numbers. The other mods he had were DT long tubes and cat deletes as well as intake. Seems like the best bang for the buck for increased HP would be headers. Plus so many people have had problems with the unichip on this forum, I am very skeptical. I haven't heard much about the URD MAF re-calibration unit, so not sure about that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I do have headers just laying on my bedroom floor. It would be nice to tune the engine with the headers and exhaust. Especially if someone can dyno tune it.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
have you talked to unichip about buying software?
b/c i see they have alternative fuel tuner kit which is about 600
and they have uni tune kit which is 300(this is the software)
so i'm wondering is what is the 600dollar option?

idk i'm pretty tempted to buy the software so i can atleast use my chip
The $600 option is more for a shop that performs dyno tunes, etc. The $300 is for software that allows you to use a laptop and connections to tune.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What is the point on CM 4X4 truck? Is 20hp really going make any difference?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Its not so much the 20hp difference. Its the area under the curve....
+1
yup. 20 hp gain is at peak HP, but the seat of your pants torque under the peak is where you really feel increases. The more power you make under the curve, the better. Even if peak HP did not go up, but you gain torque under the curve, it would be worth it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Can not wait. Get my Unichip back from them programmed on friday. I hope I can use up my 87 octane gas by then, I want to put that thing in and see if there is a power increase.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So Red... you're just using the Unichip tune & not a custom tune from a shop?

·
Registered
820 Posts
So Red... you're just using the Unichip tune & not a custom tune from a shop?
I am going to try that first. I bought it off here and sent it to them to get it tuned for my truck. They said they had to update the harness and reprogrammed it to my mods for free. If their tune does not work well, I will eventually get a custom tune or get the software. I just dont really know what I would be doing with the software, but would take it to a place around here I went to before for a dyno. I will let you guys know what happens.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I'm interested to see how your truck does with it... especially with the Long Tubes & the Banks exhaust. Is your truck stronger/faster NOW since you added those?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts