Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Access Cab with bucket seats, V8 (column shifter, automatic), Limited trim package. I am wondering if the forward center consoles apparently available on later model years would be retrofit-able to my truck? Has anyone ever done this? That forward space on the tranny hump is pretty well wasted, and I was thinking that that forward console looked nice for possibly mounting my ham radio, at the very least. The 2003 manual shows it on page BO-68 and BO-69 but I don't know if the 2003 is the same as my 2000, or which trim packages or options I need to be looking for to find one (probably be looking through the junkyards). Does anybody know which Tundra configuration has a forward center console (mounted on the tranny hump) and has anyone tried to install it in the early 1st gen truck? How does it mount? Is it something that would be a permanent installation once it's there, or could it be removable?

Thanks for helping a newb out, I tried searching but didn't find the exact answer I was looking for and my computer is a slow piece of crap so it's frustrating to search...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I installed a newer console into my '01 AC.

You need the console, and it takes different brackets to mount it correctly. Its very easy to do the swap.

If you try a search its been covered before, thats where I got the info to do the swap.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Try PM'ing Matador98. He did the swap.....I cant find his post now but he was a big help to me when I did the swap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RCsTundra,

Thanks! I'll look some more for info on the swap. But real quick it looks like you had to replace the whole console, you couldn't just add the front section on to the console that's already existing? Is that correct?

Is the mod reversible (could it be removed and changed back without anybody being able to tell)?

Is there a specific trim package to look for that came with the console? Or did they all come with it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
RCsTundra,

Thanks! I'll look some more for info on the swap. But real quick it looks like you had to replace the whole console, you couldn't just add the front section on to the console that's already existing? Is that correct?

Is the mod reversible (could it be removed and changed back without anybody being able to tell)?

Is there a specific trim package to look for that came with the console? Or did they all come with it?

Thanks

Youre correct....I replaced the entire console with a Sequoia center console. I also had to get 2 new brackets.

The mod is totally reversible, just remove everything and mount your old console back.

Just look for a newer Tundra or Sequoia console.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
This goes back some years, but, to help others, here you go. I did the mod upgrade to a 2003 console back in 2003. The pic is from when I pulled the original and put it next to my new upgrade. It looks great and fills the space nicely for buckets. Here is a pic of the 2000 original console (Limited) and a 2003 full console (Limited). I got the same woodgrain color to match my dash. You cannot connect them (old version with new). You need the full new version from 2003 or year you choose.

You do need to add 2 brackets and also change out the driver side AC vent. The new vent actually goes from under the dash, length of console, and adds air to the back seats. The 12V connectors use the same wires and easy to reconnect. You can go with Seq version or even 2003-2005 and fit nicely. Not sure of 2006, but, they may be the same.

Here is a pic looking through the sunroof (another mod story) on my 2000 Toy.

Let me check for my old posts on the install and I will add the links for the install if I can find them.

·
Registered
739 Posts
wow what a difference now i have to look for
Sequoia center console :becky: thx for pics jbtoy and RCsTundra

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jbtoy, that is awesome and exactly what I was thinking. I to have a Limited and would want to get another Limited console so everything matches. Thanks! Is adding the air vent to the rear seats optional?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Ditto on the center console swap. I have an 01' limited and have been thinking about this for quite some time cause my console is very insufficient causing my plugged in phone and iPod to flop around on my dirty floor mats all the time... drives me nuts! I also thought about swapping to a bench seat but don't think that'll work since there's no leather bench option and the power driver's seat probably has different mounting brackets.

So where is the best place to get an 03-05 console? Out of a junk yard? And what about the two brackets, could I get those out of a junker or at the Toy dealership? Thanks for posting about this fellas...

Jbtoy: Nice seats by the way. Are they special edition or did you have them covered?

RCsTundra: I like the little computer you have measuring MPG and HP mounted in your console. Very cool.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
wow what a difference now i have to look for
Sequoia center console :becky: thx for pics jbtoy and RCsTundra
You are welcome, but, we can be a bad influence here, but, heck, mod disease has no cure. Did I share
my detail for the electric sunroof install as OEM quality on a 2000 TOY? *another story*

jbtoy, that is awesome and exactly what I was thinking. I to have a Limited and would want to get another Limited console so everything matches. Thanks! Is adding the air vent to the rear seats optional?
I would say yes, as optional. I bought the kit from the dealer in 2003, so I paid top dollar at the time, about $750 in total for a NEW kit. I know, crazy Toyota pricing. A kit today would be cheaper especially if you score one from a salvage yard. You could skip the vent to the rear, it is only to provide "air" to the back. Almost nobody sits in my back seat, so not needed, but, I have it anyway.

....So where is the best place to get an 03-05 console? Out of a junk yard? And what about the two brackets, could I get those out of a junker or at the Toy dealership? Thanks for posting about this fellas...

Jbtoy: Nice seats by the way. Are they special edition or did you have them covered?
I would work this backwards. Start with a salvage yard for a kit. It will include brackets
if you find one. Then, ebay or craig, then TS forum as a sell or WTB, and as a last call, go to the dealer. The dealer will be the most expensive choice, but, if you want it, it will be correct, match, and be complete. Not sure of pricing today.

Thanks for noticing the seats. My interior was changed to Ivan Stewart Sport Leather. It is hard to come by today. Here is pic of the seat with the logo. The seats are 2 tone leather. I like the look as there are not too many First Gens (2000-2002) that have it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
dayamn i want those seats i'm jealous :becky: like you said very very rare, but i did find those black trd floormats one set in pristine condition and the other set is brand new its a start on the is interior still have a long list tho sorry about jacking thread :focus:

·
Registered
5 Posts
did you succeed at replacing the console?

So I am hoping to do this as well, the dealer wants crazy money - over $700! But it looks like toyotapartscheap.com has em for $400 - ehh. Anyway I have a gray int 2000 Tundra TRD AC, does anyone know how to find the 'right' one? i can't get much info online and I am not sure what to buy, I did have a schematic faxed to me and it looks right but who knows. Let me know if you can help and if you would like to see the schematic. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

So I am hoping to do this as well, the dealer wants crazy money - over $700! But it looks like toyotapartscheap.com has em for $400 - ehh. Anyway I have a gray int 2000 Tundra TRD AC, does anyone know how to find the 'right' one? i can't get much info online and I am not sure what to buy, I did have a schematic faxed to me and it looks right but who knows. Let me know if you can help and if you would like to see the schematic. Thanks in advance
Just find a gray used one off of ebay, either from a newer 1st gen Tundra or Sequoia.

The DC Tundra and Sequoia will look like mine installed on my old AC up top. If you find one from a newer AC Tundra it will look like jbtoys, noticed the 2 side pockets his has that mind didnt. You can probably get one for under $200. Then all you need are the 2 brackets.

Simple......

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks, so i assume the brackets i will need to buy are from the dealer and are the 2 brackets for the newer center console?

I will keep searching ebay, it has been slim pickins

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
thanks, so i assume the brackets i will need to buy are from the dealer and are the 2 brackets for the newer center console?

I will keep searching ebay, it has been slim pickins

Yeah, you can buy the brackets from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
There are posts on this subject on parts needed and how to install if you try a search. Need help, just ask. Glad to help. I posted this pic originally many years ago when I did the mod from the OEM short console to the then, newest 2003 full console. Obviously, they changed a little with the 2004 and up versions. I still like the mod for filing the space and it is very functional to boot. hard to believe, but, at that time, there were no salvage options and had to buy all of the pcs at bloated Toyota pricing as new parts....approx cost then was about $700 or so for everything, including the new AC ductwork that goes to the
back seats.

Just find a gray used one off of ebay, either from a newer 1st gen Tundra or Sequoia.

The DC Tundra and Sequoia will look like mine installed on my old AC up top. If you find one from a newer AC Tundra it will look like jbtoys, noticed the 2 side pockets his has that mind didnt. You can probably get one for under $200. Then all you need are the 2 brackets.

Simple......

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

Too bad you've got gray interior. I've got a tan console with all the mounting brackets from an 06.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Too bad you've got gray interior. I've got a tan console with all the mounting brackets from an 06.
Johnny 5, I am very interested in this console if you would like to sell it. I have an '01 Limited with tan interior and have been wanting to do this upgrade for a while, but these consoles are somewhat hard to find. Let me know... Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts