Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 4x4 with Eaton True-Trac limited slip differentials before, and for ice and snow and any off road other than competitive rock crawling they are the bees knees.

My GMC Jimmy could craw through mud and sand up to the rocker panels and navigate powder snow hood deep. It also walked up icy ramps I could not walk up with poise and complete confidence.

I have less than perfect respect for the Toyota ABS based LSD in the Tundra, while in comparison my True Trac not only performed with excellence and was absolutely problem free.

I spoke to Mr. Brent Brussell of Eaton Corp this morning, and he advised me that no True-Trac is made for the newer Tundra /Sequoia because of a lack of demand. I think he may be mis-informed.

A True-Trac would cost less than $500 parts and less than $400 for a good shop to install. In my experience it gives a 4x2 better mobility than a 4x4 and makes a 4x4 all but unstoppable. It is totally transparent to the driver, robust and problem free.

If you think you might be in the market for a Tundra /Sequoia True-Trac LSD Mr. Brussell invites you to send him a business EMail at [email protected] so that Eaton can better gauge consumer interest.

Thank you.

Timothy Wright

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
I agree. If the product was available I would anticipate the demand for it. Unfortunately, it seems like these days, manufacturers are doing less. Unless, the demand is there before R&D can begin.

If a traction system was made available for the 9.5" and 10.5" diff, those rear axles would highly be sought after. I know I would want one for my rig. It would give a lot of "toyota" owners, especially off roaders, another option. Instead of going with a Dana 60, 14 bolt, 9", etc.... and keep it Toyota specific.

Sending my email now....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am told they would need not 500 sales a year but only a total of 500 sales total to justify the tooling and other costs. I also understand that there is a recession/depression.

BTW, Rut, Go Penn State!, Earth and Min Sci, class of 1979. I have had both Detroit Locker and True-Trac LSD and much prefer the True-Trac for off road, mud or snow. My 91 Toyota 4x4 pickup had a Detroit locker, and was worthless before I put it in. With the Locker I was in Pgh for the 93 St. Patty day snow event (30" in one day) and no problems.

The OE system was cheap to do and works well if you don't need it.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
Email sent. Next time you talk to him, try to set up a group buy - I will be there !

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I'm in too! We 4x2 owners need a mechanical LSD - from a street performance aspect the electronic ALSD is useless.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Email sent

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
I know Jowett has something in the works, wonder how that is going...

·
Vendor
597 Posts
They probably still wont. FYI, there is an Auburn pro series LSD available NOW> going in my truck today. From extensive experience the True Tracs are OK, but aren't all they are made out to be, as they are more of a torque biasing differential than a limited slip and don't hook up as well as a clutch or cone type unit. Don't discount clutch or cone because of wear. The clutch type units that give a bad rep are generally poorly designed OE units like tracloks in fords with paper type clutches and simple "S" springs for preload. The aftermarket units like Eaton, Auburn, or Nitro are much better.

Bump...send an email to light a fire under these guys. They aren't going to build them if they only get a handful of emails.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
They probably still wont. FYI, there is an Auburn pro series LSD available NOW> going in my truck today. From extensive experience the True Tracs are OK, but aren't all they are made out to be, as they are more of a torque biasing differential than a limited slip and don't hook up as well as a clutch or cone type unit. Don't discount clutch or cone because of wear. The clutch type units that give a bad rep are generally poorly designed OE units like tracloks in fords with paper type clutches and simple "S" springs for preload. The aftermarket units like Eaton, Auburn, or Nitro are much better.
Brian started the Auburn thread the day after my last post here. I'd much rather have the Auburn Pro unit than a True-Trac. I've been active in Brian's Auburn thread. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts