Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2001 Echo auto with ~250,000 miles that was purchased new. I've had virtually no significant problems until a couple of weeks ago, when the check engine light came on as I was driving through heavy rain in the city. This same thing happened twice before in the last five years, both when driving either in heavy rain or slush.

In all cases, the car's idle was caused to fluctuate greatly when stationary, either in park or drive. There was no stalling, and acceleration was normal. This would usually a day or sos, at which point the idling was restored and the check engine light would go out. Now, though, the problem has progressed significantly past the point of a fluctating idle. Not only is the check engine light still lit, but in the last day or two the car will frequently stall IMMEDIATELY following starting, unless you apply the throttle. It doesn't fluctuate or sputter, it simply stops. It will often stall in the second or so it takes to apply the brake so that drive can be engaged; it is that sudden.

I'm new to this board and I've just started to search previous posts. Any help would be appreciate before heading off to the dealer. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Before you go to the dealer go to a local auto shop - AutoZone, Napa, etc. and have them read the diagnostic codes for you - should/will be free. Once you have the codes you can de-code their meaning via web references to OBDII error codes.

With any luck you will be able to replace part(s) or adjust something yourself to solve this issue.

Yes - harder to get the codes read for free in Canada but it can be done.

Best of luck,

Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts