Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
So this mod is only for rednecks down south?

P.S. waiting for the brick smashing my window tonight :D
:confused::confused:

For a guy who has evidently not done the mod to check the results you sure seem to know a lot. I'm just telling you the results I got from doing this mod which is what the OP asked about. You obviously don't need any advice since you already know everything. There are people on this forum who are interested in hearing about real results from doing a mod. If you had done the mod and had poor results that would mean something. Just running your mouth without any facts to back up your opinion is a waste internet bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I have another question. I noticed you can buy the fan for the Sequoia from AutoZone for $174 and they also have various electronic fan thermostats (probe, preset etc.) that are also available. I also saw one available from another place for $79. Did you buy yours and the relay from a Toyota dealership or elsewhere?

Thanks,

Scoob

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
rlehan - the red neck part was me being sarcastic. My question is does it lower the AC radiator temperature or you think it does,cause if you didn't measure but only assume that it does that is called "a$$ dyno" - one thinks it works but it might not in real life. if One believes that it works then the positive results will be felt even though there might be none. It might just be placebo. IF you think it works then maybe you also feel improvement even if there is none. I am only asking if there is drop in temperature in the vents (aka blowing colder air) and temperature drop in AC radiator (don't know if some temperature drop in the AC radiator equates to temperature drop in air coming out the vents).

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
You also have a perfect plug match up where the fan plugs in and you covered the wires with insulating tubing. Where do you get that plug and harness? Also, how does the relay hook up with respect to the switch and fan and where do you get the switch? I hope not too many questions.

Thanks,

Scoob

·
Forum Admin
8,220 Posts
you can tap into a wire leading into your A/C compressor so that the fan will turn on when you turn on your A/C. I'm assuming that's what these guys did. That's how mine is set up. My truck is newer than yours so the wire colors are probably not the same. I can show you in a picture, but I haven't posted them yet.

·
2,445 Posts
you can tap into a wire leading into your A/C compressor so that the fan will turn on when you turn on your A/C. I'm assuming that's what these guys did. That's how mine is set up. My truck is newer than yours so the wire colors are probably not the same. I can show you in a picture, but I haven't posted them yet.
Did you remove your mechanical fan and use the electric fan as a replacement or are you running both? If you are running both then I have similar questions... Why, and did you notice temp differences? Could you monitor any changes with the scangauge?

Thanks

·
Forum Admin
8,220 Posts
Did you remove your mechanical fan and use the electric fan as a replacement or are you running both? If you are running both then I have similar questions... Why, and did you notice temp differences? Could you monitor any changes with the scangauge?

Thanks
It's physically impossible to simultaneously run a puller type efan & the oem mechanical clutch fan. But yes, I do monitor the temps via the SGII. No temp differences once the fan's variable speed controller is dialed in properly.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Why its impossible? Its not impossible.I don't think that they would be fighting for air. Unless you connect them in a way " ><" meaning they blow one at another. Otherwise if you got tranny cooler the additional fan is on the side, so only would be extra cooling for AC radiator on top of OEM one.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
It's physically impossible to simultaneously run a puller type efan & the oem mechanical clutch fan. But yes, I do monitor the temps via the SGII. No temp differences once the fan's variable speed controller is dialed in properly.
Why its impossible? Its not impossible.I don't think that they would be fighting for air. Unless you connect them in a way " ><" meaning they blow one at another. Otherwise if you got tranny cooler the additional fan is on the side, so only would be extra cooling for AC radiator on top of OEM one.
I think he meant space wise, you cannot fit a puller fan neither between the radiator and A/C condenser or behind the radiator and in front of the stock mechanical fan. Not unless there is some slimline fan out there that I have not come across.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
How about in front on the left side of radiator as several have done already? I agree that in stop and go it "might" help. The only question is have anyone done some sort of testing besides "as$ dyno". Like - sitting on the parking lot on a 100F day, and running truck at idle, + AC then you"flip da switch" and watch temperature of air from the vents decrease. Really easy to do. I'd do it if i had the fan. Just there is some sort of proof for everyone else and yourself, not only "me think its better, feels better". I am pessimist by nature - if i don't see real proof or cant verify it myself i doubt it.

·
Forum Admin
8,220 Posts
How about in front on the left side of radiator as several have done already?.
That is called a PUSHER type fan.

Like - sitting on the parking lot on a 100F day, and running truck at idle, + AC then you"flip da switch" and watch temperature of air from the vents decrease. Really easy to do. I'd do it if i had the fan. Just there is some sort of proof for everyone else and yourself, not only "me think its better, feels better". I am pessimist by nature - if i don't see real proof or cant verify it myself i doubt it.
Sure, I'll do that tomorrow. It's supposed to be a cool 90F in VA Beach. And I hit tons of red lights going to&fro work.

4/7/10 edit: this won't work for me since my efan is the only cooling fan, not an additional cooling fan. sorry.

·
2,445 Posts
Thanks. I misunderstood. I saw those pictures of electric fans running on the outside of the AC condenser and thought that is what you were running as well.

Why did you opt for the electric fan? Was there some other gain?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
How about in front on the left side of radiator as several have done already? I agree that in stop and go it "might" help. The only question is have anyone done some sort of testing besides "as$ dyno". Like - sitting on the parking lot on a 100F day, and running truck at idle, + AC then you"flip da switch" and watch temperature of air from the vents decrease. Really easy to do. I'd do it if i had the fan. Just there is some sort of proof for everyone else and yourself, not only "me think its better, feels better". I am pessimist by nature - if i don't see real proof or cant verify it myself i doubt it.
Yea, that's where mine is, but as I stated before mine isn't there to make the A/C colder. Mine is to keep the engine cooler. That is why I haven't and probably wont test to see if it makes the A/C colder, because it doesn't matter to me. My A/C is plenty cold enough.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
You also have a perfect plug match up where the fan plugs in and you covered the wires with insulating tubing. Where do you get that plug and harness? Also, how does the relay hook up with respect to the switch and fan and where do you get the switch? I hope not too many questions.

Thanks,

Scoob
All the fan parts, plug and wire harness and relay were purchased from a Toyota dealer. As I recall the fan cannot be purchased as a unit. I had to get the fan motor, fan blade and fan shroud as separate parts along with the fasteners and put it together. It's been six years since I did this so I don't remember everything exactly. The heat shrink tubing, wire loom and switch were purchased from an electronics supply store. My switch is hooked to a switched 12V source to power the relay and also is hooked to an unswitched
12V source to light the switch when it is turned on. This is my own preference for idiot proofing the switch. When turned on the switch is lighted and the light works whether or not the truck is turned on. On the other hand, the fan can only be turned on when the key switch is in the ON position. This prevents me from running down my battery by leaving the fan running after turning off the truck. The lighted switch reminds me that the fan switch is turned on. The relay is used because of the relatively high amp draw of the fan. The parts are exactly the same as used in a 2002 Sequoia. I believe the Sequoia uses a sensor to control the fan. I prefer to have manual control and it was fairly easy to wire that way. For those who doubt the effectiveness of the condenser fan I recommend you ride in a Sequoia and compare the AC to the stock Tundra. If it did nothing I don't think Toyota would have put it in the Sequoia. For some reason trucks don't get the same treatment as passenger vehicles. Same goes for power antennas. I don't know why they aren't offered in the trucks. Putting in a Sequoia power antenna is one of my favorite mods along with the condenser fan mod. If you are happy with the performance of your AC then the condenser fan mod is a waste of money and time. I was not satisfied with the AC in my truck on really hot days and therefore I tried this mod. I am very satisfied with the results. I'm not pushing anyone to do this mod, just relaying my experience to answer the questions posed by the members in this thread. If anyone doubts the benefit of the mod then don't do it - makes absolutely no difference to me. I once had a detailed writeup of the whole mod with pictures, but the site removed everything in one of its upgrades and the information was lost.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Since Sequoia have front and rear AC they (toyota) installed additional fan for additional cooling

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Does the Sequoia have the rear AC as option only (me thinks) and so does the one without rear AC has the fan as well. There is never too much cold air. Will see how this summer turns out.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
all sequoias have rear ac

·
Registered
1 Posts
It works great in the 110+ degree summer heat. I just bought the Sequoia fan parts including the relay and wired it to a switch I installed in the passenger compartment. I turn it on if it gets really hot in the summer. I had to make some brackets to relocate the transmission cooler so I could use some of those mounts for the Sequoia fan. Here are some more pics of the install.

Imagines are unavailable. Could you post again. I’m trying to do same exact thing

21 - 39 of 39 Posts