Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put together an electric fan kit using the Lincoln Mark VIII 2-speed electric fans that fit our 1st Gen Tundras! I've also made one for the 1st Gen Tacoma's and soon will have one for the 2nd Gen Tundra's and Tacoma's. We all know we wished these trucks came with electric fans for their efficiency, quicker warm-ups, better A/C performance and quietness.

Out of frustration of the cheep kits out there that don't adequate cool and the lack of anyone else offering a complete bolt in kit - I've built and tested my own! There's been some other ideas on here that we're similar, but this is quite different with the relays, quality, redundancy, and how it operates.

What is important to me is proper cooling, reliability, quality, and proper fitment. One of the problems I had with the Flexalite kits was it only covered 2/3 of the Radiator. It also used the cheesy probe type temperature sensors that you stick through the Radiator fins. It also used a very under built relay and variable control to run two 13" fans.

However my biggest problem was it would overheat when I towed. This was not acceptable so I went back to my clutch fan. Now a year has passed and I finally got around to making my own and doing it right. I've successfully towed 6500lbs with this setup and it works perfectly! In fact it's so efficient at cooling that its hard to get the second speed to kick on.

Here's what it comes with:

*complete wiring harness with 4 Relays -2 for each speed of the motor
*2speed coolant temperature sensor that kicks on low at 195* and steps to high at 210*
*A/c trigger wire that kicks on the low speed fan
*coolant hose adapter with threaded bung for temp sensor
*all wiring connections with shrink wrap tubes
*50amp 12v fuse
*20amp acc fuse
*2speed Lincoln Mark VIII FAN
*Custom Aluminum diamond plate shroud (bolts in place of your plastic shroud)
*complete wiring and installation instructions

$495.00 + shipping

If anyone's interested please let me know? PM me or give a call for additional info 435-669-7044

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Have you had the opportunity to tow in 110+ degree heat?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
image.jpg image.jpg I towed my 5200lb boat & trailer up the pass from St George to Cedar and it was around 102*. No prob.

I also towed around 7900lb from CA to Utah but it was only in the high 80's

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you have any pictures of it mounted in your truck?

·
1,768 Posts
Do you have any pictures of it mounted in your truck?
You're just full of questions. :D
Looking for more HP/TQ ??
The TRD supercharger isn't going to be enough? :D

So I have some questions too:
  • Is the 2 speed adjustable controller able to be set to lower temperatures ? ?....
  • Such as those using the TRD 160 degree thermostat for the TRD supercharger.
My 4.7L supercharged motor/OEM clutch fan setup runs at 168-174 Degree temperatures in the winter time.
I'm Now back to a N/A motor and I'm seeing 184-187 with no towing/and just crusing around.

• What diameter is the coolant hose adapter with threaded bung for temp sensor ? ?
  • After the splicing of the radiator hose. What additional clamps are to be used ? ...
  • 2 OEM Toyota Clamps. <<<< For assurance & Peace of Mind, Right ?
  • Good for you making an inline sensor that is reading actual coolant temps. That is the way the Flex-a-lite should have been done.
  • The sensor placed on the radiator fins doesn't seem like it works right. As you mentioned.. its cheesy,.... and it's lame.
  • How much CFM does the Lincoln Mark VIII 2-speed electric fan produce ? <<<< On the Speeds 1 & 2
This kit looks better than most all the others that are offered for the 1st-Gen.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Yes that kit does look better than the others but can we see pictures of it mounted?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will post some more pictures today.

Our 1st Gen Tundra's run a 180* thermostat. During testing I used a scan gauge plugged in to the OBDII port to see what *sensor would work best with the fan. Like you've noticed the temps never really get above 185* as long as your moving. My truck has to sit and idle for close to 10 min just to get the fan to come on.

Yes, any fan kit that uses those push thru probes is not going to be properly accurate especially when they tell you to put them at the top of the Radiator. The sensor needs to be as close to the thermostat as possible so it can read temps after its past through the Radiator!

The sensor is not adjustable. If you want a lower sensor I could provide a 177/195* but this will make the fan run low speed all of the time unless you change to a lower thermostat. The Tundra cooling system is designed around the 180* thermostat and is most efficient with these temps.

Coolant hose adapter is the exact size for Tundra lower Radiator hose going to the Termostat 1.5"

Hose clamps are not included because I felt everybody probably has their own preference on these. My favorite are the Toyota twin wire type with a bolt for tightening, but they are pricey and hard to find.

The Lincoln Mark VIII type fans are incredible at moving air. They have been used on Ford 4.6 V8's for years and most in severe duty type vehicles such as Police Interceptors and Taxi's. This is the same fan that's been in Crown Victoria's for years right up until it was finally put to rest a couple of years ago!

Nobody truly knows the exact CFM of these fans but Ford - I've heard and read around 2700-3300 CFM on low and 4000-5000 CFM on high.

I know on mine when the fan comes on low it's so efficient it only runs for around 15-20 seconds before it shuts back off again!

I hope this helps and I will pst some installed pic's later today.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
ive got the same mark fan in my truck that a member on here was making about a year ago this time. my sensor is adjustable from 150 to 210 but the only down side is the sensor is a push in type and isnt that accurate. the fan will run when need but wont shut off as quickly when not needed. i need to figure out a way to get a set up like yours so i can read the water temp and not the rad temp.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You're just full of questions. :D

Looking for more HP/TQ...? ? ?.. The TRD supercharger isn't going to be enough? :D

Not more power, I just want to hear the whine from the supercharger that much more :D

I had a flexalite at one point, but had heard they weren't ideal for towing. I never tested it, but didn't want to find its limits while crossing the Mojave in the middle of July/August towing a trailer and bed full of gear. If I didn't tow or use the truck the way it's built to be used, then I would have stuck with the flexalite.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This setup looks pretty good. I know fox body mustang guys run this fan as it is better than any aftermarket option.

Is the fan you provide brand new, or a used tested one?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are used tested ones that I modify the shroud to fit our trucks. I also completely clean and re paint them.

·
1,768 Posts
They are used tested ones that I modify the shroud to fit our trucks. I also completely clean and re paint them.
Glad this came up. I was going to ask earlier.

With testing done on the Lincoln Mark VIII: Used Electric Fan Units:

• What is done about one higher mileage unit vs a lower mileage unit.
  • Or....What is the maximum mileage limit you are choosing ?
  • Will there be any written information provided on the used unit from your testing it ??
  • You're testing it: Provide written information so the buyer knows.
  • Such as: Ohm's, Resistance, Mileage from the donor vehicle provided in each Electric Fan Kit that is sold ??
  • I'd like to know how much longer it will last.
This will be the big ticket item whether or not I purchase.
Providing this information I think will greatly improve your chances of future sales as well for others.
It assures everyone of "Quality Control" efforts taken by you to provide a worthwhile product.
The entire kit looks great and I appreciate your efforts taken to provide this to the community. Yours is the best fan kit offered by far.
I just require the requests made before proceeding since its a donor fan.
Just like donor recepients/hospitals wouldn't take bad organs from bad donors. I don't want a bad fan.
Again....It's all about Quality Control. Provide information on the Electric Fans.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great questions!

I myself pick them from a supply yard and first test them with 12v to make sure they work and sound proper. You can tell immediately when there good! I never really check mileage, just care about overall condition and that they work. Surprisingly I very seldom come across defective fans. More problems with cracked shrouds from sloppy mechanics or accidents.

I then further test with a brand new one as my bench mark. I measure Amperage draw of both speeds at start up and also at continuos draw. A good motor or a new one will draw 30 amps on low start up and 14-16 on continuos draw then close to 100 amps on high start up from stopped and around 30 amps continuos draw. When the motor steps from low to high once it's already spinning its only around 60 amps. That's why I have the relay built this way!

The quality of these Fans is second to none. These Ford Fans use a genuine Siemens Motor which is the recognized leader in electric motors made in the US. They are also the most powerful single electric fan made.

I can also provide complete new Fans but they will ad $100 to the price if you wish. However, all of the new ones I have purchased do not have the genuine Siemens motor stamp on them I've noticed?

My own truck has a used one on it because I prefer the Siemens motor!

I hope you can see from my pictures and my thorouness of my kit that quality, reliability, and OEM like performance is just as important to me as it is to any of you!

I hope this helps?

·
1,768 Posts
What you say about the Siemens motor is correct. They are the best. No doubt about that.

Well based on my findings I prefer a Mark VIII fan like this one.
Lincoln Mark VIII Mark 8 Electric Fan Radiator Cooling Hotrod 2 Speed Super Nice | eBay

Lots of GREAT info on this link about the fans and what to be careful about when picking them.
You can see the difference in price of a Near Perfect fan that is found vs. a O.K/Good Condition: Motor/Brushes that have average wear.
Lincoln Mark VIII Mark 8 2 Speed Electric Fan Cooling Fan Mustang Hotrod | eBay

Before these are sold they:

• Test run on low and high
  • Shaft is T-filed of any rust
  • Fan blade is removed with special puller
  • Shroud and blades are cleaned
  • Reassembled
  • Retested
I Definitely do NOT want a Chinese manufactured product that is the "New" Lincoln Mark VIII fan.
Like they said about the Chinese fan. It's Nothing like the Originals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will do!

Hopefully it shouldn't be too long. I'm waiting on a buddy who was going to pull his stock Fan and shroud so I could measure and build.

The biggest challenge on the 2nd Gen is the coolant reservoir on the shroud. I think I have an idea.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts