Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
and just where did you hear this from? source?
Looks like a great Fan - looks too wide to fit our 1st Gen Tundra's though.

You'll still need a dual fan controller, Relays, temp sensor and wiring harness made!

You should buy it, pay shipping, spend months seeing if it will fit, building it and testing it, then put on this forum to offer a great idea to others and then watch everyone tell you what's wrong with it and how it's not good and how they found something better?

This seems to be the direction some people have treated me?

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
Before this really goes downhill--because it's starting downhill now--I'd like to make a couple points and a "request" of everyone.

First, this is a new product. I think it's fairly obvious, or should be, that a good bit of effort went in to the R&D here. If anyone sees a flaw, potential flaw, or potential improvement, definitely point it out, and keep in mind that regardless how critical you may feel your point to be, unless you have this same setup in your truck right now, your feedback is somewhere between "development team engineer" and "art critic". Don't be that guy who walks up like "wow, ugly baby you got there." Nobody likes that guy.

Second, new products can almost always be improved. I can see a couple potential improvements myself. No big deal, it's new. There is a right way and a wrong way to suggest an improvement, the wrong way usually sounds like "that's stupid and you're stupid, do it right like this." I figure you all know there's a better way to discuss improvements and design details, make it happen.

Last, given the nature of the original post, I expect this discussion to be mature, rational, and professional. I do not care how long you've been here, what you do for a living, how old you are, or what your responsibilities are. If you cannot keep it clean here, I expect you to take it to PM or leave the thread. I know this is the internet and therefore this is an unusual request, but it's also a new product developed by one of our members and I'd prefer to see it hashed out properly, as other member-developed products have been, versus prematurely sunk by hubris and immaturity. If you feel this approach is unfair, feel free to yell at me either here or via PM, so I know who to ban.

-Sean

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Before this really goes downhill--because it's starting downhill now--I'd like to make a couple points and a "request" of everyone.

First, this is a new product. I think it's fairly obvious, or should be, that a good bit of effort went in to the R&D here. If anyone sees a flaw, potential flaw, or potential improvement, definitely point it out, and keep in mind that regardless how critical you may feel your point to be, unless you have this same setup in your truck right now, your feedback is somewhere between "development team engineer" and "art critic". Don't be that guy who walks up like "wow, ugly baby you got there." Nobody likes that guy.

Second, new products can almost always be improved. I can see a couple potential improvements myself. No big deal, it's new. There is a right way and a wrong way to suggest an improvement, the wrong way usually sounds like "that's stupid and you're stupid, do it right like this." I figure you all know there's a better way to discuss improvements and design details, make it happen.

Last, given the nature of the original post, I expect this discussion to be mature, rational, and professional. I do not care how long you've been here, what you do for a living, how old you are, or what your responsibilities are. If you cannot keep it clean here, I expect you to take it to PM or leave the thread. I know this is the internet and therefore this is an unusual request, but it's also a new product developed by one of our members and I'd prefer to see it hashed out properly, as other member-developed products have been, versus prematurely sunk by hubris and immaturity. If you feel this approach is unfair, feel free to yell at me either here or via PM, so I know who to ban.

-Sean
Well spoken - thank you!

CH

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
bk2cali

Personally I like the whole thing. I do have a question though. I might have missed the "why" of it, but can you tell me why there are 4 relays instead of 2 for a 2 speed fan? Are they redundant, or necessary?

Oh yes, if they are redundant, how do you know when one fails, so it can be replaced before the second one fails? Thanks for the hard work. I do a lot of DIY type stuff to my own cars and some folks fail to recognize the money risk you take on a venture like this. Nice work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
morning

I've been watching this thread for a while now and I know now when I have the funds I will be contacting u about ur (bk2cali) set-up

I like it , it is well thought out and tested from what I can tell, I've got a 04 dc and I'm really happy with it , but, can't for the life of me understand why Toyota didn't put them in, in the first place, oh well ...
thanx for doin all the testing and research , hope to put in a order in march(2014) , I will call first ..

be well

swampdog50

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
bk2cali

Personally I like the whole thing. I do have a question though. I might have missed the "why" of it, but can you tell me why there are 4 relays instead of 2 for a 2 speed fan? Are they redundant, or necessary?

Oh yes, if they are redundant, how do you know when one fails, so it can be replaced before the second one fails? Thanks for the hard work. I do a lot of DIY type stuff to my own cars and some folks fail to recognize the money risk you take on a venture like this. Nice work.
Thx for the comments!

Yes, the double relays (2- for each speed of the fan) are for both redundancy and also to greatly reduce the initial spike load on the electrical system during startup of the fans. When done properly like this you can hardly see your voltage gauge fluctuate whereas without it you would almost see it bottom out momentarily.

If one of the relays were to fail both speeds would continue working, but you would see it on your voltage gauge as a more substantial drop than normal.

This setup really makes a noticeable difference in the driving experience of these trucks! This is how they should of come from the factory. You will notice a small power difference when towing as well. It allows my truck to stay in 4th where it used to go down to 3rd on the same hill with the same load!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
morning

I've been watching this thread for a while now and I know now when I have the funds I will be contacting u about ur (bk2cali) set-up

I like it , it is well thought out and tested from what I can tell, I've got a 04 dc and I'm really happy with it , but, can't for the life of me understand why Toyota didn't put them in, in the first place, oh well ...
thanx for doin all the testing and research , hope to put in a order in march(2014) , I will call first ..

be well

swampdog50
Sounds great - looking forward to it

Thx!

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
OK thanks. Do both relays, for each speed, energize at the same time? So you're just reducing the amperage each relay draws? Interesting that this reduces the momentary voltage drop, darn good idea though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just read the whole thread, very nice work bk2cali. Just bought a new to me 2006 dbl cab tundra. Pinning this thread so I can PM you when I have the funds. Thanks for all your hard work.
Josh

·
Registered
415 Posts
bump...how are these holding up?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I'm interested. Are you still offering these?

·
1,768 Posts
The "fabricator" hasn't logged in for exactly 6 months as of right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've put together an electric fan kit using the Lincoln Mark VIII 2-speed electric fans that fit our 1st Gen Tundras! I've also made one for the 1st Gen Tacoma's and soon will have one for the 2nd Gen Tundra's and Tacoma's. We all know we wished these trucks came with electric fans for their efficiency, quicker warm-ups, better A/C performance and quietness.

Out of frustration of the cheep kits out there that don't adequate cool and the lack of anyone else offering a complete bolt in kit - I've built and tested my own! There's been some other ideas on here that we're similar, but this is quite different with the relays, quality, redundancy, and how it operates.

What is important to me is proper cooling, reliability, quality, and proper fitment. One of the problems I had with the Flexalite kits was it only covered 2/3 of the Radiator. It also used the cheesy probe type temperature sensors that you stick through the Radiator fins. It also used a very under built relay and variable control to run two 13" fans.

However my biggest problem was it would overheat when I towed. This was not acceptable so I went back to my clutch fan. Now a year has passed and I finally got around to making my own and doing it right. I've successfully towed 6500lbs with this setup and it works perfectly! In fact it's so efficient at cooling that its hard to get the second speed to kick on.

Here's what it comes with:

*complete wiring harness with 4 Relays -2 for each speed of the motor
2speed coolant temperature sensor that kicks on low at 195 and steps to high at 210*
*A/c trigger wire that kicks on the low speed fan
*coolant hose adapter with threaded bung for temp sensor
*all wiring connections with shrink wrap tubes
*50amp 12v fuse
*20amp acc fuse
*2speed Lincoln Mark VIII FAN
*Custom Aluminum diamond plate shroud (bolts in place of your plastic shroud)
*complete wiring and installation instructions

$495.00 + shipping

If anyone's interested please let me know? PM me or give a call for additional info 435-669-7044
hello sir are you still making these? if so I would be interested.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts