Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Sequoia
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! New here. I’ll try to be thorough but brief.
I have a 2001 2wd limited thats not getting proper electricity. During the week of the 27th I drove it from my home to an appointment and back home with no issues (19 minute round trip of travel time). As soon as i turned it off in the driveway i went to turn it on again realized i wasnt getting any electricity to anything except the ‘no key’ light. No dome lights, no other dash lights, no exterior lights, etc.
i have checked all the fuses i can find (both boxes in the engine bay, the inline 40a at the battery, the ones by driver door) and none are bad.
Changes the alternator 120a and 40a fuses just incase, no change.
The battery was 12.4+ at the time it wouldnt turn over, had it testedand it passed no problem. It hasn’t dropped in voltage from sitting so there is no ground issue.
The sequoia will not take a jump.
The terminals and ground at the battery are so clean you would be shocked to know its 21 years old.
When i push things to “ turn on” like the hazards or the map light or the headlights the ‘no key’ light dims slightly in accordance but mothing else turns on.
if the key is inserted then the ‘no key’ light turns off like it should but still nothing else is responsive.

is there another inline fuse somewhere that could have gone bad? Is there a BCM or some other CM that could be bad? is there a switch or relay that may have burned internally? I havent checked any switches except one that says ‘Ford’ (yes that ford) since it had a diagram on it but im not exactly sure how the others route internally.

HELP MEEEEE PLEASE. Ive only had this thing a month and a half and this is the only issue besides a few bulbs that started to go bad in the instrument cluster.

p.s. I tried to program a new alarm remote when i first got the car and then car would not go in to alarm programming mode. I also have a vsc light on for the decel and yaw sensors so i tried to do a full ZPC on the system and got no response from the vehicle to accept the new calibrations. These were both attempted weeks ago and the car has had over 500 miles since then but incase it will lead you to a solution i mention it.

·
Registered
2001 Sequoia
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update: voltage across starter relay while tring to start is about 1.5v when trying to start and .2v across ecu-b and alt-s fuses when just on with battery at 12.4 volts.
Checked a few other fuses under the hood and the max is 1.5 in a few spots and normally between .19 and .25v or .35 at rad no2

·
Registered
2001 Sequoia
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The top of my
The clamps on the ends of the battery cables on my truck were worn out and created an intermittent no-start condition. A quick replacement fixed this for me.
The top half of my engine bay is crazy nice. Look almost factory clean. I dont know what the last guy did to get it so nice but all my cables are in great shape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The top half of my engine bay is crazy nice. Look almost factory clean. I dont know what the last guy did to get it so nice but all my cables are in great shape.

The terminals and ground at the battery are so clean you would be shocked to know its 21 years old.
Sorry, using a little sarcasm to back up what Sasquatch suggested.

I've got one of those " so clean you could eat off it" engine bays as well. That's just my thing. Problem is, the battery cable insulation is so hearty you can't see down inside the cable where the exposed steel terminal transitions to wire/cable. The insulation may look new and clean as a whistle, but what's going on deep down where you can't see? Could be ugly. Good luck. Hope you are back soon to let us know how you fixed it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yeah. Fellow Engine Feather Duster here.

Never had a problem with my cables, but when I took over maintenance years ago I read they could become a problem on the forums from others. What I did as a preventative maintenance measure was (make sure to clean off any corrosion first) and put a few drops of 3in1 Oil on the terminal ends and hold it so the oil would wick down into the jacket. After that I put a few dabs of NoAlox on the Braided Ends for future protection. Slathered up the Clamps and Battery Posts with the same. Its Electric Nirvana.

Another thing I did was remove and clean up every Grounding Point on the Engine/Body and apply the Grease. There are about 6-8 major grounds that are accessible. Many of our truck problems stem from bad/worn/corroded grounding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts