Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Anyone have this happen to them, I was leaving to go to the airport this morning and applied my emergency brake and bang there was a snap and no more tension on the pedal. I had to leave the truck for the rest of the week and never had a chance to look over the entire truck to see where it broke, I did look at the rear and the two cables going to each wheel are still in tact.

Any help would be appreciated, did a search but no luck finding a similiar topic.

Thanks Boxer

·
7,925 Posts
Get under the truck and folllow the cable from the read axle to where it goes in the fire wall. You have to find out where it broke first. Hopefully it is an easy fix like at a junction - there is a turnbuckle tensioner about half way between the rear axle and the fire wall. You might get lucky and just had a retaining pin fall out which is an easy fix.

Good luck.

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
I just had one snap in the drum. There is a little 6" cable that pulls the brake inside the drum. It actually rusted pretty much through, then snapped one day. I did the same thing as you and followed the cable as far as I could see it, and was confused why it wouldnt work because I could see the cable pulling the levers outside the drum. So I heard something a day later dragging on the right rear and that was when I realized it had to be something in the drum. Its just another place to look. Oh, BTW, its $17 for that 6"cable!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I 2nd the 6" cable in the rear drum. Had one snap on my 03 Tundra. It had rusted right thru. I just replace my father-in-laws on his 04 tundra. Same issue. Seems to be a pretty common problem.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the help, I'll let you know ehn I do have a chance to look at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts