Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out my engine is blown in my 2010 Double Cab. I was passing someone on the highway last Saturday and heard a loud popping noise. Pulled over and fluid was puking all over the ground. Dealer tells me the fluid is intermingled. They are tearing the engine out.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I thought intermingled fluids were the NORM on Mars!!!! Hey ...stuff happens....its gonna be allright and you are getting a NEW engine!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
That sucks Man! I guess you will have a few bad ones with any product. At least your under warranty.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
anyone want to merge his two threads to keep them altogether?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I love that you blew for me.....Toyota.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
You must have the magic touch! That is the first blown engine I have heard of on any of the Tundra forums.:confused:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yea i've actually never heard of anyone blowing an engine in a Tundra before. What the heck did you do?! Floor it on a cold engine, while towing, within the break in period or something? Got any pics of the truck or a pic of the damage or something? Seems pretty odd to me... Ive passed hundreds of cars on the highway and more than a few while towing also. The trucks never blinked.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Never heard of such a catastrophic failure of the 5.7, I'd be interested to hear what the dealer says happened.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
sucks that it happened but they will fix it right for you....hopefully....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
That stinks. Let us know some more detail and keep us posted as to how they do on the replacement. I hope they are providing a rental at their expense?

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
37000 would have been better. 37000 and then a new motor.. The warranty is 60000 on drive train.
Oh, and I see the forum police is on here. (when isn't he lol)
hi!!

oh and i was just saying that so it could be put wiht the thread with the pics is all...some of us were interested in that thread and some were already guessing what it could be...so it would make sense to have it all together since we now know it done broke.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I don't know on this one guys, i mean its possible to blow any engine but ive never once heard of this in a 5.7L tundra. I hate to say it, but i almost don't believe it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't believe it myself. I bought a Toyota because everyone I know said they have never heard of anyone having any problems. I wasn't towing anything and the engine had been driven for 45 minutes before this happened so it wasn't cold. The oil was full I just checked it a few days before this happened. Obviously there was a serious defect somewhere. What do you think my chances are of getting a new one vs a new engine? I know damn well the mechanic has never replaced a Tundra engine before so he will be learning on mine and that doesn't sit well with me.

Attachments

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
Well. . . he does have pictures on the transmission failure thread, of brownish (oil and water?) oozing out from under his truck.

Any engine can blow, and the most likely time is before 5K miles, or after several hundred Ks. The computer controls do a pretty good job of keeping everything in line, avoiding driving over temp, over revs, etc., but nothing is perfect. A poor casting in the engine block, for example, or a misaligned gasket (do they even have head gaskets on these?) anyway, you get my drift, anything CAN break.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
not likely of getting a new vehicle unless they want to study yours. no real learning curve on changing an engine. I did 2 at 16 by myself with just a chilton manual.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
At least it's covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts