Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to remove the oxidation that accumulates on the aluminum heads of the motor? I'd like to get them back to their factory shine.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
You mean the valve train covers? If so, how much detailing do you want to do? How
much discoloration or tarnish do you have? Some ideas for you.

Leave them on and try some 0000 steel wool for clean and polish?

Leave them on, clean, and then paint (mask all other areas from overspray) in high heat silver? Replace bolts or clean/polish/paint to complete look.

Take them off, and your option how much to do. I am pulling mine for powdercoat
in RED and will see how it comes together with the other detail I am doing. Hope to share results when I get home soon.

For the actual block or key show points, going to be tedious, but can get to most areas, if you pull some things off first.

Not sure if this helps, but, a start.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
x2 on the steel wool... But I'd too would go for the powder coating..

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean the valve train covers?
Yes

If so, how much detailing do you want to do?
As much as possible.

How much discoloration or tarnish do you have?
It's a daily driver with 87K miles on it so there is a fair amount of oxidation.

Some ideas for you.

Leave them on and try some 0000 steel wool for clean and polish?

Leave them on, clean, and then paint (mask all other areas from overspray) in high heat silver? Replace bolts or clean/polish/paint to complete look.

Take them off, and your option how much to do. I am pulling mine for powdercoat in RED and will see how it comes together with the other detail I am doing. Hope to share results when I get home soon.
I like the powdercoating idea, but since the truck is my DD I can't really afford the down time to wait several days for the PC to get done. I suppose I could buy two new valve covers and get them PC'd then swap them out but that means more money. :td:

For the actual block or key show points, going to be tedious, but can get to most areas, if you pull some things off first.

Not sure if this helps, but, a start.
Thanks. Actually, I was hoping there might be something I could spray on them - something like a mild acid solution - that would dissolve the oxidation then be easily hosed off.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Thanks. Actually, I was hoping there might be something I could spray on them - something like a mild acid solution - that would dissolve the oxidation then be easily hosed off.
Have not tried anything like that. Need to be careful though even with a mild
acid or solvent for cleaning. Could affect other pcs, hoses, etc around the covers and may discolor them. Good question though. Maybe someone here has tried something like that.

Another thought, maybe a strong metal cleaner or polish would do the trick?

Btw, my ride is not a DD right now, so, I hear you on the downtime part for doing PC work. While down, I am going to play with other pieces at the same time, and hope it comes together okay. Will see soon.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
You pretty much have no other option other than painting. You can *try* Duragloss Acid Wheel Cleaner just to see, but it will likely stain and run. Maybe try a light cleaner like WD-40 and some scotch bright pads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts