Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra 4.7L V8 T3 edition (includes TRD). I have had it for about a year. The strange thing that happens is that after running for awhile, I shut if off and there is a loud ticking sound, the sound of metal cooling down, which I have heard other cars do. The strange part is, it even does this when it is running! If I am sitting at a light, I can here the ticking sound. The truck does not seem to be running particularly hot, the gauge never gets past the middle, and the coolant level is correct. I am worried that this is a problem or at the very least abnormal and needs to be addressed.

Does any one have this symptom or have some insight into what might me going on?

As always, any and all help and advice is appreciated.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Hi, I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra 4.7L V8 T3 edition (includes TRD). I have had it for about a year. The strange thing that happens is that after running for awhile, I shut if off and there is a loud ticking sound, the sound of metal cooling down, which I have heard other cars do. The strange part is, it even does this when it is running! If I am sitting at a light, I can here the ticking sound. The truck does not seem to be running particularly hot, the gauge never gets past the middle, and the coolant level is correct. I am worried that this is a problem or at the very least abnormal and needs to be addressed.

Does any one have this symptom or have some insight into what might me going on?

As always, any and all help and advice is appreciated.

Dave
Sounds normal to me. My temperature gauge never goes past the middle. I have the "ticking/crackling/popping" sounds too - both at idle as well as after I shut the truck off but I have to be out of the truck with it running and standing right next to it to hear the noise.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I'd closely inspect your exhaust manifolds for cracks...
Your sagely advice will be heeded - NEW HEADERS TO FOLLOW!!! (AFter I get current on my bills, and money saved up, and other projects caught up):D

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Does anyone with a scanguage know the approximate temperature the engine should be running? "The middle" is kinda vague, I know my truck usually runs 198-202 degrees, which seems kinda warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts