Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m writing to ask if anybody has experienced their engine shutting off when accelerating. This started about one week ago when I notice a little hesitation when I was accelerating between 35-45mph. I thought it was the trans and it was just in between shifting gears. That was not the case. Last night while driving home from work the engine simply turned off at 40mph, with no warring, hesitation, hiccup…. Nothing! It just turned off. I put it in neutral started it back up and continued driving. Four miles later it happen again and then two more times.

This morning I took it to the dealer who just reported back to me that they could recreate this problem while in park/neutral by just revving the engine. (I was expecting to hear the old “We can’t find anything wrong story we have all heard before) The Toyota service mechanic is stumped and called a factory mechanic who had them run some additional tests but still can’t figure it out what the cause is.

Has anybody else had this happen and if so what was the cause? It’s a 2002 Sequoia 4X2 with 3029 miles

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Only that they still have not figured out the cause. They are awaiting instructions from Toyota Corp. and for a Corp rep to come out..... It's not looking good

I miss my Sequioa

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
JP Sequoia - Use the below to contact Toyota. I have contacted them on several occassions to assist with issues as well. I just did a cut & paste job from the web site

If you need immediate assistance, please contact Toyota's National Customer Assistance Center at 800-331-4331 between the hours of 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after 9 days in the service shop they figured out that the Fuel Pump and Computer needed to be replaced with only 3027 miles. The dealer requested assistance from a Toyota regional mechanic after the 2nd day but it still took them another 7 days to figure out the cause and make the repair.

The problem with the fuel pump is still completely unknown and is being sent back to the factory to be evaluated. For some weird reason the pump was not getting the proper voltage and would fluctuate between 12v, 5.3v and 0v. At 12v the engine ran fine, at 5.3v the engine would hesitate and at 0v would die. They replaced the main computer first but that did not correct the voltage issue until after replacing the fuel pump.

One last note… HATS OFF to Toyota’s National Customer Care Assistance Center. These people are the best, very professional, extremely understanding, and courteous. They go the extra mile to make you feel that your concern is being heard and fairly evaluated. It’s this kinda service I received from Toyota Corporate that makes me a loyal Toyota customer. They even gave me a extended 6 year 100K warranty for my troubles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funny you should mention it...

Aprox 1 month ago I noticed when I pulled out of various driveways while making a turn I seemed to have some hesitation, and then a blast of "engine energy". Then a week ago I had a hard time starting ( it took a few cranks) and then seemed to start normally. Today I again had a hard time starting it and then it would die. Then start and I had a lurch of power. Im wondering if this is the same problem..... My SQ is just over a year old.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It pays to open a trouble report with Toyota Customer Care anytime your feel your dealer is not performing to your satisfaction or is just giving you a snow job. I’ll say it again; the folks at Toyota’s Customer Care center are very professional! I opened a case with them after my Sequoia was in the shop for 3 days and then called back on the 5th and 7th day since the dealer still could not figure out what was wrong with my Sequoia. Once I got my Sequoia back I called Toyota C/S again and made my request by simply explaining my concerns, which where… My engine only had 3K miles and was not broken in yet. I was concerned that there may be some hidden damage not yet discovered due to the engine dieing at 40+mph and all the testing done at the dealer over the last 9 days. Certainly that was not the proper way to break in a new engine. I also think since I own other Toyota’s and have been a long time Toyota customer helped in approving my request.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts