Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Tundra SR5 4x4 seems to be automatically entering 4HI while I'm driving. All of a sudden (while driving) the check engine light came on, VCS indicator light, 4HI and 4LO indicator lights began flashing. After slowing and moving off the side of the road, I turned off engine then turned on after a minute or so. When I began to drive, I could feel my truck was in 4 HI. I could feel the steering was difficult to turn and I was running high RPMs. Then without any large sound or indication it seemed to kick out of 4HI and began driving regular speeds, shifting normally.

After watching some YouTube videos, I disconnected battery, and used my OBD2 to view then reset codes. (it was reading P0418 and P2440) those codes appear to deal with Air Injection System and Air Pump Relay Control. Are those codes and my 4 wheel drive issue related? I have read other similar issues, but solutions/causes are all over place. There seems to be very little consistency. Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2012 Tundra. It happened about year ago and I disconnected the battery for about an hour and it cleared the message. It is now doing it again and the battery disconnect trick hasn't worked. I see no difference in handling, acceleration or starting...but I can't get the light(s) to go off.
(4LO, Engine Check and Traction Control)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experienced these same issue on my 2008 Tundra 5.7. The problem turned out to be a dirty Mass Airflow sensor. Cleaned mine and the problem went away. Bought a new one which has been sitting in the glove box since then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This sounds like issues with the air injection pump. Toyota is offering an extended warranty for certain years. Had mine replaced at no cost on a 2010 Tundra DC 4.6L with 100k. My Dad had the same issue with his 2011 CM 5.7L and Lithia replaced it at no charge also. Toyota stepped up on this one!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts