Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine light came on this morning. Did some quick searching and seems most advise going to Auto Zone (or elsewhere) and get the code/codes. I had a 87 four runner that if memory serves, I could jump two terminals where you would plug in the diagnostics thing-a-ma-jig, do some sort of sequence (turn the key to here, step on the gas two times, put your left finger in your right ear, or something like that) and the engine light would turn on and off in code. You could then look in the Service Manual, match the flashing code, and it would direct you to the most likely cause. Dont suppose my 2003 V-8 Tundra has the same sort of set up? Not that going to "The Zone" is a bad thing, just wondering.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to Auto Zone and they came up with a code "P0442". I looked in the service manual and it indicates something in the Evaporative Emission Control System has a small leak. One of the directions the manual points to is a leak in the fuel tank cap. This was a little loose so I cinched it down and reset the system (disconnected the neg. battery terminal for 10-15 min.) and no more light. Hope I did this correctly??

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
If you drive it a few days without the light returning, I'd say you were successful. If the cap was loose, that was probably it.

·
2,444 Posts
Hopefully you handled it and that will be the end of it. But if it turns out that the code returns...

I seem to remember there was a TSB that I had done at one of my trips to the dealer several years ago. I think it was my 2003 AC Tundra, where they changed out some gasket or a part of the filler tube/stem to the gas tank. I had a 2000 Tacoma before that one so it might have been that truck.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've got the same thing and can't get rid of it. Guess I need a the new revised filler neck. A new gas cap stopped it for a while but it just came back, don't worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My engine light came on at 150,000 & would not go off. The truck ran great so I have left it on for 15,000 miles now. I did take it to a shop that does free checks & as the guy put his unit in the plug the engine light went out & would not come on again. He said he could do nothing for me. The light came on again later in the day after two other stops. Wierd !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts