Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My '04 sequoia is rapidly approaching 200k miles (currently at 196k) and I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for some engine maintenance. I was going to have a tune-up done but the shop I go to quoted me $450 for essentially replacement spark plugs and a intake/throttle body cleaning which I find ridiculous so I'm planning on doing what work I can myself.

A little history on the vehicle, bought it used at about 140k miles, since then I've had to replace the fuel pump and one ignition coil, nothing major, and I currently have a failing fan clutch that will be replaced soon.

In the next year I'm planning on buying a new truck, but I want to make the sequoia last for a bit as a traveling vehicle, she's reliable (and paid off) and quite frankly ain't worth a damn on a trade-in so I may as well put a little work into it and make it last.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you replaced the timing belt yet? If not, you're definitely due for it.

At 200k miles, I'd probably just do spark plugs, serpentine belt (if it hasn't been done in a while), and maybe flush the coolant. Have you kept up with fluid changes in the differentials, transfer case, transmission?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I recall the vehicle has a timing chain as opposed to the belt for some reason, so I don't believe I have done anything with that. The serpentine was replaced a year or two ago, and I drained and topped the transmission fluid recently. I'm wary about doing a full flush of the transmission, I hear you can cause yourself a lot of problems with high mileage vehicles.

As for the differentials, I don't believe we've ever touched those, so I'll add that to the list. She's only 2wd, so unfortunately no transfer case to worry about. I'll look into the coolant flush also.

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
At 200k I'd do a timing belt, water pump, engine coolant flush, brake fluid flush, transmission fluid flush, power steering flush and spark plugs. That should take you to 300k except the fluids I'd recommend 50k intervals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts