Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently a bunch of problems starting occurring with my 05 SR5. Here's the short story. I was on the way to the airport, the car died and wouldn't start again. Apparently the cam and crank sensors died. If you want to read about that, I have another thread out there. Sensors have been replaced and the car is running again, however the CEL keeps coming on with a P0302 code and once a P0304 (304 hasn't come back), and occasionally you will feel the engine misfire. I have swapped coils from the #2 cylinder to a different good cylinder to see if the miss would follow it. It didn't. I swapped spark plugs to see if it would follow the plug. It didn't. Now, just yesterday and today, the engine stopped randomly. I was leaving a restaurant, started the car, started to pull out of the spot, and it died. Started it again, tried to go, died again. Started again, ran fine and made it home. On the way to work ran fine until I got off the freeway, stopped at a light, tried to go, car died. Started it again, and made it fine to work. I'm thinking maybe it could be a fuel related problem? If it was compression, wouldn't the miss be more consistent? The only other thing I did recently was change all the plugs cause to my knowledge, they haven't been replaced for a long time. (The car is new to me, only had it a couple months now). It had NGK's in it, but not sure which ones, looked like copper. I changed them to NGK Platinum plugs. Could this be the problem? Any other suggestions on what I can try? This thing is driving me crazy! :confused:

05 SR5, 120k miles.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Man I feel for you. For the misfire codes P0304 and P0302 these could be contributing to those issues: Faulty spark plug or wire, Faulty coil (pack), Faulty oxygen sensor(s), Faulty fuel injector, Burned exhaust valve, Faulty catalytic converter(s), Running out of fuel, Poor compression, Defective computer. You did the right thing swapping coil packs and plugs so I would think you can rule those out. Time to dig a little deeper. What did the plugs look like that you swapped around? Wet, sooty, other?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plugs looked great, no oil or excessive burning or anything like that. I have a guy coming out today to check it out. He's gonna do a bunch of tests to check fuel pressure, check the injectors if they are clogged or flowing too much, check compression, and the computer. Hopefully after today I'll know. I just hope it isn't something major. I can deal with injectors, I just really hope it's not compression. I don't think it is cause the misfire is not consistent, but still, I guess anything is possible. I'll update when I hear from him.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So we did all the test and everything checked out. Good compression, good fuel pressure, injectors are all fine. After some more digging, we discovered I had the wrong plugs in the there. Swapped those for the correct plugs, and things started to look up, but then the computer threw the crank sensor code again. Took the crank sensor back and got a new one and tried it, same crank code. Tested the ohms on the sensors and they were right at around 12. Reading online and the dealer said the ohms should be at 16. Thought it was rare that we'd get two bad sensors, but anything is possible. So we did some more digging, and we think we discovered what the whole problem is. The crank sensor angle plate. We believe the plate lost a tooth on it because there was a piece of metal on the sensor the last time we took it out. Also, if you put a screwdriver in the hole, you can wiggle the plate around and hear it digging on the case. Apparently this is not good :)
I've ordered a new plate and sensor from the dealer and the parts should be here on Tuesday. Hopefully this will fix this thing once and for all!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, we thought it was the plate, but after tearing it down, we discovered the TRUE issue that caused all of this to begin with. A few months ago, I had the timing belt changed. Well, when the shop reinstalled the harmonic balancer, they didn't install it correctly. They didn't line up the key with the keyhole!!!!! This caused there to be a gap between the balancer and the sensor plate which is what caused the plate to be loose, which caused the crank sensor to not read properly which cause the coils not to spark at the right time, etc, etc. Also what caused the belt to partially shred. I was so pissed when we discovered this. I went back to the shop to give em hell about it. That's another story all together, but thought I would post the final issue we discovered in case for whatever reason someone else ever comes across these same symptoms.

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system

Can you believe that!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts