Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab .....OK was on a roadtrip yesterday and ran the truck pretty dry...low gas light was on for 10miles but truck NEVER stuttered or stumbled....filled up the truck...took 23 gallons!!!....went to start up the truck...it started then quickly died...attempted several times with the same result. Only way I was able to keep it running was to keep a little pressure on the gas pedal. Thought it might be air in the line or maybe even "crap" pulled up into the fuel filter preventing full flow?...if it was the fuel pump I would think I'd have problems delivering fuel even if pressing the gas in fact more of a problem when asking for increased flow.....was able to run it another 200miles home while never letting fully off the gas (ie keep foot on gas even when stopping at lights/signs)....got it into the driveway and as soon as I took my foot off the gas it died...same symptoms starts then quickly dies.....I'm thinking fuel filter???? anyone else have similar problem.

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
I'm thinking right along with you on the "crap" issue. I hope it's your fuel filter and not something more involved.
My brother had a similar issue but it was due to fuel starvation while climbing a steep grade.
He pulled the filter (on the side of the road) and blew out the filter as best he could ~ then was able to continue on.
Good luck and keep us posted with your results. We can all learn a little something here.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah had no issues (stuttering/stalling) while running 200 miles on the highway uphill or downhill....

·
Registered
5 Posts
2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab .....OK was on a roadtrip yesterday and ran the truck pretty dry...low gas light was on for 10miles but truck NEVER stuttered or stumbled....filled up the truck...took 23 gallons!!!....went to start up the truck...it started then quickly died...attempted several times with the same result. Only way I was able to keep it running was to keep a little pressure on the gas pedal. Thought it might be air in the line or maybe even "crap" pulled up into the fuel filter preventing full flow?...if it was the fuel pump I would think I'd have problems delivering fuel even if pressing the gas in fact more of a problem when asking for increased flow.....was able to run it another 200miles home while never letting fully off the gas (ie keep foot on gas even when stopping at lights/signs)....got it into the driveway and as soon as I took my foot off the gas it died...same symptoms starts then quickly dies.....I'm thinking fuel filter???? anyone else have similar problem.
One time in Death Valley (specifically way out in Saline Valley Hot Springs) I started up to drive home on Sunday and found a brilliant array of alert lights on. Not the place you ever want to see that! VSC, Trac, etc. All was fine driving out there. Made no sense. There was a guy with a steampunk J40 with a satellite dish on top just a couple hundred feet from me. I figured he knew a thing or two about Toyotas. Mine is a 2005 Sequoia Limited 4WD. He came over, pulled the codes, went back to his rig, fired up his laptop, and walked back after 5 min. He asked, "When you filled your tank to come out here, you topped it off I'm sure, but did you give it an extra squirt?" I said yes indeed as we are 3 hours off of pavement and... He said it appears that all this is, is that I filled the neck of the tank, wetted the charcoal canister, and now the system is detecting air flow issues (vacuum, something I don't know but makes sense - its like plugged sinuses). He said once that dries out the lights should go out and it won't affect driving out of here. So I did and it resolved. I have never given the extra squirt again.

Don't know if this is your deal. Sounds a bit different to be sure, but I thought I would share this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I routinely put 23 gallons in my 05 double cab. It’s a 26 gallon tank so that isn’t an unreasonable amount. The gas light in mine comes on with over 6 gallons left in the tank which is a bit ridiculous and has made me ignore it a few times until I ran out of fuel. I haven’t had this problem though. Last week I did have the truck shut off just after the light came on while making a left hand turn. It started right back up though. I drove another 15 miles or so with no problem. Then had it stutter a little bit while idling. Filled it up and haven’t had a problem since. I assume the fuel filter as well, and will probably put a new one in in the next few weeks. Your problem doesn’t sound like a fuel filter to keep because it isn’t acting starved when you are going up hills. If there is a fuel restriction that should cause problems with all performance. This sounds more like an idle air control valve or throttle position sensor to me. I haven’t had to work on these systems in my truck so I don’t know exactly what system it is using. Looking under the hood it looks like it has a TPS that is integrated into the throttle body so it wouldn’t be a cheap place to test a part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since the truck ran differently after you ran your tank real low and then filled it up I would suspect you picked up crap in the bottom of the tank and maybe the gas you pumped in was not good gas, (old, water in their tanks). I would replace the gas filter and see if that improves things and I would try to run out the tank to at least 1/2 and then add new gas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts