Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else have engine tick? mine is a 2007 dc 4x4 and it ticks a little, just wondering if its normal... not sure if its the engine or if its a belt or something

·
Registered
44 Posts
There was a thread recently on TN about this. Apparently it is caused by an emission device and the noise can be eliminated by using something to insulate the mounting. Do a search over there for it and they have the full How-To in the thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Please post a link to this thread so that everyone can look at it!!! Thanks, JB :ts:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
Mine ticks like there is not a drop of oil in it. Only 500 miles on the truck. My 2007 is WELL PAST the TSB. So Toyota.......what is causing mine to tick like a broken sewing machine?? ah ah ah Don't say it's normal, because that would imply that the one's that don't tick would not be working correctly.

·
Registered
630 Posts
this fix works pretty good. Its much quieter going threw a drive threw or something like that.

·
Registered
630 Posts
the ticking in my truck doesnt really bother me, but i can hear it while im @ idle,so i may do this as well. did you use a rubber grommet for yours or what??
Yeah I used what I had laying around. It was a 1/4" thick rubber washer that fit good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I performed this test or O ring fix as it is called. Did absolutely nothing. I even went as far as disconecting the emission valve completely and the enging still ticked loudly. Now what?????

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't and don't have a ticking sound at idle like others describe, but I do notice a slight ticking sound when accelerating with the driver side window down. If there were other road noises you probably wouldn't notice it.

So I decided to give this a shot. Instead of the washers or cable ties, I removed the bolt and took a 4" section of preformed pipe insulation with an inside diameter of 1 1/2" and about 3/4" wall thickness. Sliced it the long way and slid it around "the part". This allows it to be separated from surrounding parts without being completely enclosed. The open slit faces the driver side fender.

So far I have not noticed the acceleration tick. But I will give it some time to determine if I am just "not" hearing things.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just a different thought. :)

1. These engines are overhead cams...kinda like overhead valve "Solid Liifters"......Old technology: no hydraulic cushion to supress the sound of mechanical parts banging against each other. ..Ticking??? There's NO problem with "Ticking" in high performance engines.

2. These new engines NOW have reverted to "Timing CHAINS"...like the old days...back 20+ years... before timing BELTS. Chains were reliable, no need to replace them.....ever. ..but they weren't as quiet as belts. It took awhile for Toyota to figure out that the price of "Quiet" maybe wasn't worth the hassel of "keeping an eye" on the belt, and replacing it every 60-90,000 miles. TacoGuy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a different thought. :)

1. These engines are overhead cams...kinda like overhead valve "Solid Liifters"......Old technology: no hydraulic cushion to supress the sound of mechanical parts banging against each other. ..Ticking??? There's NO problem with "Ticking" in high performance engines.

2. These new engines NOW have reverted to "Timing CHAINS"...like the old days...back 20+ years... before timing BELTS. Chains were reliable, no need to replace them.....ever. ..but they weren't as quiet as belts. It took awhile for Toyota to figure out that the price of "Quiet" maybe wasn't worth the hassel of "keeping an eye" on the belt, and replacing it every 60-90,000 miles. TacoGuy
What he said,How soon we forget the original 4 banger, you think ticking:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts