Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, heres my issue...

2004 Tundra 4.7L. 164,000 miles and im the only owner. About 2 weeks ago I started truck in the morning (after sitting about a week) and I got a "misfire detected below 1,000rpm on cylinders 4 & 8). Truck ran great so I figured alright, time for new plugs anyways so I threw a new set of NGK Iridium plugs in gapped at .031.

Now I am throwing cylinder misfire on 4,6,8... but not cylinder 2. This only occurs at IDLE. Truck runs totally fine under load and I drove 70 miles to work without any CEL or issue. Idle in the parking lot just the see what happens and CEL flashes and rough idle.

I rechecked the gaps on the Bank 2 cylinders and seems I gapped 4,6,8 at the .043 and cyl 2 was at the correct .031. not sure why I did that though there was some confusion when I was researching the gaps for the 2UZ-FE but the manual says .031. Anyway, even with the correct gaps im still having same issue on 4,6,8 (not on 2). I also pulled the timing covers back to take a peak and both B1 and B2 look to be the same.

I was thinking fuel issue on that entire bank but cylinder 2 doesn't seem to be included in this issue. I also have a P0456 small evap that's been lurking for awhile. I recently moved and cant put my hands on my compression tester but im going to buy another one today if in stock.

Recent work:
New headers about 3 months ago
2 new Cat converters 2 months ago (One was failed)
Oil change after initial misfire code.... oil looked normal
Fuel from my normal Sunoco station.
Brought to a local mechanic because im taking a long camping trip this weekend so trying to get it fixed and for $300 he put 2 new coil packs in.... man I sure regret that decision as I could have done that in 4 minutes for under $100.

I am leaning toward an injector issue but just seems weird that its only at idle and always those cylinders. A compression test will really rest my nerves.

Any other suggestions? Also should note no blue or white smoke from exhaust

Thanks,
Chris-

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick update on the compression check.

Cylinder 2,4,8 press 200psi hot. Cylinder 6 is at 180psi. I put a shot of oil in cyl 6 and pressed 210.

Cold coolant doesn’t bubble at radiator cap when at idle and I haven’t added coolant in many years. Oil filler cap doesn’t blow nor suck at idle. I boroscoped each even cylinder and #6 looks cleaner than the others, less carbon, but a little tough to really confirm that.

I have 160k babied non towing miles.... what are my options? Drive till she dies or fix it? I just put $3k into the exhaust to get it through inspection 90 days ago?.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have you ever had your fuel injectors cleaned:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts