Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to take the plunge and try installing the lift, though I'm about 1/10 as mechanically inclined as most others here (I like to think I could do more, but most people here do a LOT of the work themselves and aside from audio/interior-type mods, I only do "minor" things like TRD sway bars, wiring, exhaust, etc.). Well, I decided I would start on the back first to give me some more confidence... I installed the Bilsteins and the 1.5" blocks, and WOW, it has got a pretty good rake so far! I will try to pick up the spring compressor and install the front Bilsteins and diff. drop tomorrow... pics below...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Congrats!! Now you got the RCSB rake :)

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Good stuff.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
haha no need to reaim your headlights to keep from blinding anyone now. now all ur gonna do is light up about a foot in frt of the truck haha. jk.

bet it looks funy in real life though....nice choice on the blocks though...1.5 is what i got and love em.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
How does it feel on the road ? When I first got my RCSB the top of the rear tires are even with the bolt that secures the fuel module. After my mods, the top of the tires are even with the top of the frame rail.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
So far so good, can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your gas mileage is gonna go through the roof since your driving downhill everywhere now !!!
LOL!! Hey guys, thanks for all the laughs! I will say this, it drives VERY solid. I'm not sure how to explain it exactly but those Bilsteins keep the wheels firmly planted... I didn't think I would notice much of anything with just the rears done, but it made a BIG difference.
I hope the weather will be alright tomorrow though it is calling for rain, but if I can get this done, all I'll need to do is the wheels, tires and backup camera/monitor and I'll be set (for at least the next week or so... :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:).
My only concern is the brake lines now seem to be nudged against the top of the leaf springs... I may need to look at how to bend the brackets a bit to prevent a constant rubbing problem. My only concern is that I'm not sure the bending will work as it looks like it needs to be extended a bit (i.e. the bracket needs to be lengthened to keep it off of the leaf springs).
Anyhow, I'm just amazed at how the back feels now...
And for "imtfox", no, I don't need longer sway bar links, it does fine with the TRD sway bar and 1.5" block/Bilstein 5100 combo... no issues at all.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, to make a long story short, the fronts were installed and the truck is now lifted another 2.54" in the front. I don't know if it is just me, but if feels like more. Truck isn't level, but not as raked as I had initially wanted. Still, it looks great and I can't wait to get the wheels/tires installed! Once that has been completed, I'll give her a good wash and take some pictures... still have rear-view camera/monitor and fog lights to work on. Also, it looks like fixing the bull bar may not be that difficult to do... I may be able to make it look "close" to normal... but I'll say this, the metal plate between the bars isn't much thicker than freakin' aluminum foil... no wonder it bent so easily!

·
Registered
379 Posts
That's cool. Let me know how those mounts hold up on the sway bar. I'm debating on doing a similar setup but I've been too chicken so far because any lift will make it too tall to go in my 1970's garage and because of the rear sway bar...

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I haven't done much driving since the full install completed last night, but I can say that the sway bar was absolutely no issue at all. I wouldn't be too concerned about it since there is a good amount of room to accommodate the added blocks and ride height. Remember, the sway bar is really about the lateral forces and keeping both wheels planted, so the arms holding it in place can certainly pivot up or done a few inches and not have much affect on the force being applied. Having said that, the added weight of the new wheels/tires will certainly affect it once installed, but hopefully not by much...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts