Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been towing my, at least 6,000lb boat/trailer for 4 years now. My 2004 has 101,000 miles on it and in all the towing, including when I first brought the boat home from FL to MA-1,600 mile run, I had never seen the "A/T Temp" light go on in the dash but do see it on start-up as part of the "dummy-light display".

Have any of you seen that light go on when towing?

Here is my load;

·
Registered
374 Posts
not on my tundra nut when i owned a 95 v6 4-runner anytime i got up in speed against the wind the light came on. time for a flush maybe? not sure on this one. sorry

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not so much that I have a problem, as I do not. I did have my transmission flushed/filled at the dealer about 1,000 miles ago and it is still perfect, just wondering if, while anyone was towing a large/capacity load, up a big hill/mountain, ever saw the light go on to indicate a higher than normal/bad temperature in the AT fluid.

·
Registered
313 Posts
never had it come one when towing, I really don't tow much though. However, I have seen it multiple times when driving on the beach. It's fine if I'm taking it easy, but if I spend too much time around 40+ mph on the beach, the light comes on.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
I've had the light come on last year during the summer. I was offroading in some tight steep incline trails. This is when my 4LO was not working. I was in 4HI all the way up and had the revs up high and barely any forward movement. Light came on and I freaked. Let it cool down for about 1 hour as we recovered a non-functional bronco on the trail. Afterwards, started the truck back up and light was gone. When I got home I installed a electric fan directly on the tranny cooler. I have the fan on a switch to turn on/off when ever I please. Since then, no issues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
mine has never gone on, which is concernin to me, because once not too long ago I was towing my landscaping equipment down the highway when my radiator exploded and yanked all of my trans fluid into my cooling system.. I was about 3 quarts low on trans fluid for about 3 miles and the light never came on, wouldn't you figure that **** gets hot!?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts