Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how many people have noticed this but if you have a TRD Sway Bar, please take a quick look under your truck and inspect the bushing holders (that attach to diff), for fractures. I had a 2007 5.7 CM and removed before I sold vehicle in order to put on my 2010 CM. After cleaning the bar and bushing holders I noticed a fracture extending from one end to the other. I have never taken my Tundra offroad and had only 40k freeway miles with the sway bar on. Hellwig may be the way to go.... Please inspect and share your findings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried searching this forum for anyone with this issue and haven't seen anything yet. Can anyone chime in on their findings? Are there replacement parts from TRD ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had one snap a few months ago. I've been meaning to contact trd about this to see if they have any replacements (improved) available and since then i've had my swaybar removed. i bought the swaybar back in 2007 when they first came out so i'm pretty sure i have the "first run" parts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know how many people have noticed this but if you have a TRD Sway Bar, please take a quick look under your truck and inspect the bushing holders (that attach to diff), for fractures. I had a 2007 5.7 CM and removed before I sold vehicle in order to put on my 2010 CM. After cleaning the bar and bushing holders I noticed a fracture extending from one end to the other. I have never taken my Tundra offroad and had only 40k freeway miles with the sway bar on. Hellwig may be the way to go.... Please inspect and share your findings.

Lets see some pics of the affected part!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I remember something about not enough threads on the bolts on early production batches but nothing like this. Hellwig are the ones with all the fit / finish problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Any pics of this??

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the picture. It is very clear and the tig weld shows exactly where the stress point is. I have about 15,000 on one purchased and installed in fall of 08. I'll inspect and report back. Even if you don't go four wheeling, I suppose if you hit a bump hard to cause enough suspension travel, you could fracture it like that.

Shawn
Phoenix

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check mine. Mine is newer so it should have the stronger support but you never know.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mine must be the newer kind because it has a "welt" in the middle of that 90deg bend to stiffen the corner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fortunately I purchased from TRD Sparks and the first one that broke (2 months ago) they replaced. I have yet to contact them about this lastest failure. I'm sure there are many people driving around with these things broken. The material used is very very soft and my feeling is that if you put the truck on a lift for a simple tire rotation this may cause enough axle deflection where the bracket is stressed and will fracture. I'm not sure about there being an updated part like someone mentioned before, TRD sparks sent a replacement that was exactly the same thickness and mild steel zinc coated flimzy part. Any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I will have to check mine tomorrow.

This should be a pretty standard size bracket. I would be willing to bet most any Anti-Roll bar bracket would work.

I might even have a few kicking around from a Energy Suspension kit. Hrmz...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is crazy...there is no reason why a part should fail during everyday freeway/city driving. Does anyone know if there is a number for the TRD group? I'm sure if folks actually checked their sway bar you'd notice the same fractured part. There is power in numbers so everyone please go check!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts