German Sheppard
Doberman
Rat

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man and apes fill different niches and require different resources. Since they don't compete for the same resources, both species survive.

:tu:
That sounds like a very Darwinian answer.

However, there are also times when two animal types compete successfully for the same resources.

The Gorilla and man are both land apes.

Here's a fun fact, while there are primates in Africa and the Americas, prehensile tales are only found in the new world.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
That sounds like a very Darwinian answer.

However, there are also times when two animal types compete successfully for the same resources.

The Gorilla and man are both land apes.

Here's a fun fact, while there are primates in Africa and the Americas, prehensile tales are only found in the new world.
Yes, there are instances where two different species compete for the same general resource, but even then usually there's still resource partitioning to some degree. For example, animal species A might prefer/seekout a certain legume a week or two before it's ripe, while animal species B might prefer/seekout that same legume, but only when it's over-ripe. They're competing for the same resource, but not exactly. And Gorilla and man don't compete for the same resources, at all.

The prehensile tail trait likely evolved after the breakup of Gondwanaland. It's that simple. Perhaps I should put this in creationism terms incase Tunoma16 has risen from the dead (joined again with a different login name) - so here goes, bare with me, I'm a little rusty on religious talk...God must have decided to give the prehensile tail trait to just certain monkeys on a few of the continents, after he created those continents.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
prehensile tales???

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
prehensile tales???
sounds like he can't get a grip on his stories :D

gorillas vs. human is an example of to similar species that have different resource needs...Gorillas are herbivors and Humans are omnivores.

Many species seem to be similar and living in the same ecosystem, but they have subtle resource needs that keep them from pushing one another out of existance.

The key word above is ecosystem. the same animal will evolve differently in two different ecosystems due to environmental selection of genetic traits. Apes, for instance, choose to live in a different ecosystem with a different social structure from humans. The Eastern Diamond back rattler has different needs than the Western Diamond back...one lives in temperate forest and the other survives well in the desert. Two different ecosystems containing the same animal with different attributes.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
If you're hairy(chest, legs, arms,etc) you're more primitive physically than one who lacks these charateristics. Another words, you're still part monkey.:D

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
prehensile tales???
Its a tail that can work like a hand, they use it to hold branches. etc. Some even have a small pad on them.

There are many primates which are omnivores. This is evident because of their dentician and the length of their digestive tract.

Humans, primates (not sure if all), bears and other animals have varied dentician which allows them to eat a variety of foods.

Grazing animals tend to have broad flat teeth that allow them to grind.

Carnivores tend to have stubby incisors and larger canines. Their teeth are designed to rip, tear and chew meat.

Long digestive tracts are indicative of animals which eat a lot of plant matter, and can include multiple stomachs. Short digestive tracts are indicative of animals which eat a large amount of meat, gaining most of their nutrition through those animal tissues.

Humans are middle of the road on all of the above, as are many primates.

Chimps, for instance, have simple tooth creation ability which allows them to make sticks which they put down ant holes. When the stick is introduced, the ants grab it, the chimp extracts the stick then eats the ants. Chimps have been known to not only be carnivorous but also canibals preying on infants.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
No, No, Dikkie. TH doesn't have a hairy tail (or does he) :) .

·
Banned
8,888 Posts
No, No, Dikkie. TH doesn't have a hairy tail (or does he) :) .
aaarrgghhh... a to vivid imagination...

* TH pushing away the beer-belly, bending over and looking for the tail... *

--- hairy but not scary... ---

come on guys, just picture that...:eek:

ROFLMAO..!!

:D dikkie :D

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
aaarrgghhh... a to vivid imagination...

* TH pushing away the beer-belly, bending over and looking for the tail... *

--- hairy but not scary... ---

come on guys, just picture that...:eek:

ROFLMAO..!!

I used to like you..now, not so much.

Dikkie was like Fez on That 70s Show...now, I'm not so sure.

·
Banned
8,888 Posts
Now you're talking.

I wonder how much the fuel would cost...Tundras can be thirsty.
the first thing i'm gonna do is getting a propane bomb build in..!! propane is € 0,60 in the netherlands...

don't even go there... you just don't want to know..!! and i mean that..!!

diesel is € 1,20 in the netherlands, petrol is about € 1,45 and these prices are per liter..!!

1 - 20 of 8481 Posts