Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys getting my feet wet here a bit today. Got my first Toyota 3-4 months ago. 2006 Toyota Tundra TRD OffRoad DC. Was lurking for quite some time, and even looked several times before i bought the truck. getting into mods now. and questions keep coming up.

Muffler:
Like what i am seeing on the 18" Magnaflow. Has anyone installed it themselves without welding it and using clamps. I know the risk of a leak, and the length, but assuming the length that i cut out, and the length of the new muffler are equal, clamping the muffler on with coupler and clamps, any issues, or impacts on performance of the muffler? called around and to swap out mufflers shops are asking $90/hour plus tax. so $100.

Catalytic converter:

With my understanding that they catch and chemically burn off the residual fuel left in the exhaust, do they become "full" or "dirty" which impairs their ability to perform like new? or reduces/restricts the flow of the exhaust slowing it down?

Has anyone replaced their catalytic converters on this idea? Ifso any gains, or differences?

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Alright guys getting my feet wet here a bit today. Got my first Toyota 3-4 months ago. 2006 Toyota Tundra TRD OffRoad DC. Was lurking for quite some time, and even looked several times before i bought the truck. getting into mods now. and questions keep coming up.

Muffler:
Like what i am seeing on the 18" Magnaflow. Has anyone installed it themselves without welding it and using clamps. I know the risk of a leak, and the length, but assuming the length that i cut out, and the length of the new muffler are equal, clamping the muffler on with coupler and clamps, any issues, or impacts on performance of the muffler? called around and to swap out mufflers shops are asking $90/hour plus tax. so $100.

Catalytic converter:

With my understanding that they catch and chemically burn off the residual fuel left in the exhaust, do they become "full" or "dirty" which impairs their ability to perform like new? or reduces/restricts the flow of the exhaust slowing it down?

Has anyone replaced their catalytic converters on this idea? Ifso any gains, or differences?

I have a 2004 Double Cab and have done a few modifications.

Muffler:
I have an Aero Turbine muffler and really like it. I has a great sound and I have it connected to foolies (dual pipes out the back). It is patented on the concept of a ring inside in the shape of an air foil which is supposed to speed up exhaust gasses giving a little better fuel economy. My next muffler will most likely be one from Keith out at Dirty Deeds. He makes some incredible mufflers for our trucks.

Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum - View Profile: escondidotundra

One thing to pay attention to is tubing Diameter. Stock tubing Diameter is 2.25 inches and most aftermarket Diameters are 2.5 inches. I had my system welded and replaced the stock resonator with a glass pack. I get compliments from people all the time on the sound. No drone and sounds great.
Catalytic convertor:
I had one go bad and noticed a significant drop in fuel economy beforehand. It cost me about $1600 to have it replaced at the dealership. I would not replace one unless it goes bad. If you are going to replace your cats just for GP can I have them?

Congratulations on the truck - post up pictures so we can all drool over it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
come on guys no one has installed their muffler with clamps?

Looking for some help on this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.