Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having the exhaust done on my Crew Max on Friday and would like some feedback from anyone who has had theirs done on the CM or DC.

I'm looking at the Magnaflow and Flowmaster but I'm a bit concerned that the 50 series flowmaster and magnaflow that was recommended (not sure which) will be a little less robust sounding given the dual overhead cams (IIRC). I don't want to be drowned out of the cab with noise but I want that hallow low grumble.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Super 40 Flowmaster, can anyone share some feedback on what you have and how it sounds?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you heard it on a Tundra? That's so new that many muffler shops don't even have it yet. It also looks like it might be better for muscle cars and may resonate in the cab a bit more than the Super 40 but I'm just guessing based on the info on flowmasters site.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I also thought about the Super 40, but really didnt want it to be that loud. I think itd sound great and give a nice deep tone, but it would probly be fairly loud. I ended up w/ a 50 SUV Flowmaster, hoping it wont be too much louder than stock w/ just a little extra added growl. Gettin here tomorrow, putting it on ASAP. Try a search as a member has clips of a 70 flow and it was fairly loud in its own right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the 40 Delta flow might be a good go between for what I'm looking for... a bit less than the Super 40 but not quite as tame as some of the others.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know with the Chevy guys a lot of folks running 40 series get some kind of resonator (usually magnaflow) welded in front of it to reduce the resonance flowmasters are known for. Of course, this could be totally different in the Tundra's case and some people actually like the resonance...but just a thought. The resonator also helps smooth the tone out and usually produces a deeper rumble. :)

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
In my opinion, I would go with the Magnaflow. Their sister company Car-Sound Exhaust makes cat converters for some of the OEM's (I believe). I do know that they use a Dynojet dynamometer. Other than that, I have never been particularly impressed with Flowmasters quality. The Magnaflow's will probably have a slightly mellower tone, maybe the Flowmaster 'growl' is what you are after. This engine seems to have a nice bark to it with an aftermarket set-up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The samples I've heard of the Magnaflows have sounded too tame for what I am looking for. I've always liked the sound of the 2 chamber flows but this is the largest cab I've had in the truck so I just don't want a overwhelming amount of resonance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im planning on getting spintechs super pro street dual in dual out but i dont know what sizes of in and out i want to get.It says in the website that you could go with a bigger pipe and it will be louder but it will lose power.I got to research more on this.My friend has it on his titan and it sound unbelievable with a cold air intake.If it sounds that good on a titan i cant imagine what it would sound like on a 5.7 tundra.Im planning to keep all the stock exhaust all the way to the muffler so the in size should be the stock 2 1/8" pipe inlet,i think stock is that size but i dont know what size pipe i should go with the out cause i want it to be loud but not lose power.It will not have the resonator anymore cause its mounted after the stock muffler so it will be gone when they take off the stock muffler.The kick i got with spintech on my 99 dodge dakota R/T was great.My friend said he had the flowmaster 40 series on the titan before and he could feel a better response kick on the truck with the spintechs.Sounds better to.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I placed 2 Borla Pro XS cat-back (true duals) on my sr5 DC about a month ago and they sound GGGRRREEEAAATTT!!!!! tony the tiger.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
You bring up a good point with the larger cab and resonance. Just helped my dad put a little sound deadener on his Subaru Forester XT. It is a wagon, and after installing the performance muffler system, it would really drone at highway speeds. Dad still a 'gearhead' at 67+, the acorn does not fall far from the tree! On the Subie forums they call the back half of wagons like his, 'the greenhouse' and the larger cabs on the Tundras, especially the 'Maxes could really amplify certain rpm range sounds.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm having the exhaust done on my Crew Max on Friday and would like some feedback from anyone who has had theirs done on the CM or DC.

I'm looking at the Magnaflow and Flowmaster but I'm a bit concerned that the 50 series flowmaster and magnaflow that was recommended (not sure which) will be a little less robust sounding given the dual overhead cams (IIRC). I don't want to be drowned out of the cab with noise but I want that hallow low grumble.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Super 40 Flowmaster, can anyone share some feedback on what you have and how it sounds?
A friend of mine just had a Flowmaster 40 with 4 x 16 exits installed today, sound good but freakin loud! I have FM 70's with 3 x 16 exits and they sound mean at low rpms but not excesive above, some drone but none above 55 mph. All flowmasters have similiar tone, just louder. Also the type of exits make a big difference, straight vs megaphone. Lots of good info posted on this subject, do a search on exhaust.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm thinking of getting the TRD dual exhaust. It's $600+ a kit that costs $300+, so I'm looking at approx $1,000. I also like the Borla cat back stainless steel exhaust. I heard that the TRD dual exhaust are made by Borla and just get the TRD branding put on. Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone know when Borla will be coming out with the Cat back stainless steel dual exhaust for the 2007 Toyota Tundra?:tu:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The borla one is out, to the tune of $1200.

Im happy with my $192 spent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts