Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Tundra Limited 4X4 with 350,000 km on it. Up until today I had a fully stock exhaust setup. I am on a relatively small budget and got a Magaflow 5x8 Oval 12268 Muffler for free from a buddy. I welded it on and did a dump right after the muffler. I get a pretty bad drone around 2000rpm. What are some solutions to fixing this, I am willing to sacrifice some of the sound. Should I remove the dump and run dual exhausts pipes towards the back or I have heard of something called side branch resonators? I don't want to swap out the muffler. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I'm not an exhaust expert but I had a magnablow system on my 05. No, that was not a typo, I really did use the word blow for a reason. They are not the best exhaust and I doubt adding a tail pipe will do anything. The magnaflow system I had on mine had tail pipes that ran out behind the tire same as the oem system and it had a bad drone so I doubt you adding a tail pipe, like I had, will do anything. Read through the thread below. Yes, it his huge, but it wont take that long to read the best parts and it will help you make an informed decision. And yes, it mentions branch resonators, or hemholtz resonators.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/intake-and-exhaust/105038-how-properly-built-exhaust-system-works/

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like to hear my motors as well, especially the V8s :). My '18 Tundra is my 4th Toyota 4x4, owning them continuously since 1993. I have modded the exhausts on all, and have learned that Toyota build a great quality exhaust. I say this, because my attempts at cobbling/modding them on the cheap never really worked out well for me, unless it was just shorting a tailpipe for clearance. Most recently, I replaced the stock muffler on my '16 Tacoma with a Magnaflo, with the same results as you-drone and more noise than I wanted. I wound up placing a Craigslist ad for a even trade for a stock system (offering to do swap), and was much happier back with the stock exhaust. I have installed numerous aftermarket systems on my vehicles, and have been happy with most, having done some research. It's difficult with exhausts, since taste is subjective, and videos don't give realistic DBs very well. I had always scoffed at the price of Toyota TRD exhausts, but after researching systems for the Tundra, the R&D and manufacture/quality of the TRD system convinced me to bite the bullet and go price shopping. I can say that the quality of construction is far more impressive in person-should last the life of the truck. Installation was relatively simple, with even alignment of the dual outlets. I love the sound of the system, which only really barks when prodded, and even then, is a nice, deep tone. Overall, I'm happy with the value. If you were so inclined, you could re-install the stock system when selling, and sell the TRD system used with no problem. I know you said your on a tight budget, but, but long term satisfaction may be worth waiting/saving for tone & quality you are happy with. The system is dual all the way back, to that got to help that big V8 breath. :)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I like to hear my motors as well, especially the V8s :). My '18 Tundra is my 4th Toyota 4x4, owning them continuously since 1993. I have modded the exhausts on all, and have learned that Toyota build a great quality exhaust. I say this, because my attempts at cobbling/modding them on the cheap never really worked out well for me, unless it was just shorting a tailpipe for clearance. Most recently, I replaced the stock muffler on my '16 Tacoma with a Magnaflo, with the same results as you-drone and more noise than I wanted. I wound up placing a Craigslist ad for a even trade for a stock system (offering to do swap), and was much happier back with the stock exhaust. I have installed numerous aftermarket systems on my vehicles, and have been happy with most, having done some research. It's difficult with exhausts, since taste is subjective, and videos don't give realistic DBs very well. I had always scoffed at the price of Toyota TRD exhausts, but after researching systems for the Tundra, the R&D and manufacture/quality of the TRD system convinced me to bite the bullet and go price shopping. I can say that the quality of construction is far more impressive in person-should last the life of the truck. Installation was relatively simple, with even alignment of the dual outlets. I love the sound of the system, which only really barks when prodded, and even then, is a nice, deep tone. Overall, I'm happy with the value. If you were so inclined, you could re-install the stock system when selling, and sell the TRD system used with no problem. I know you said your on a tight budget, but, but long term satisfaction may be worth waiting/saving for tone & quality you are happy with. The system is dual all the way back, to that got to help that big V8 breath. :)

Did you read any of that thread I attached? Dual exhaust all the way back is not always the best thing for it.
As for the TRD system, what grade stainless do they use?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts