Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other: Please post.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a JBA 3" single exhaust last year and im looking for a change in tune now, something with a little more growl when you step on the gas. Im not gonna replace the whole system just the muffler so im looking for suggestions i guess. Magnaflow and FLowmaster 44 or 40 series are kinda what im looking at, anyone have any experience with these or have any other suggestions?

Is there any bad drone in these exhaust systems or overwhelming cab noise?

Thanks as always guys.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've had flowmasters they drone, and magnaflow has a more mellow tone that will drone some at low rpms but then quiet up as the revs increase and for highway driving. I would recommend the Spintech sportsman XL muffler. I was very impressed with the one on my 04. It has a nice rumble at low rpm's but no drone at all, and it sounds great when you get on it. Also very quiet on the highway. I'm fixing to go the same setup as before on my 2010.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you want louder, go with FM....if you want better flow, go with MF.

I only have experience with MF, and as Bill said, they have a mellow low tone to it. I didn't experience any drone with my set up.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want louder, go with FM....if you want better flow, go with MF.

I only have experience with MF, and as Bill said, they have a mellow low tone to it. I didn't experience any drone with my set up.
Im just looking for a nice deep rumble, i don't need ear piercing loudness. My JBA is just a little too quiet for me actually, when you hit the gas you really don't hear it at all, the only time you do hear it is when your at a slow cruse and gently apply throttle.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Flowmasters are trash from a performance stand point. Barely flow any better if at all then stock mufflers. Over all Magnaflow is the better muffler. That being said, if you are going purely for sound, flowmaster is a lot louder, although magnaflow does tend to get louder over time, flowmaster does have a beefier sound.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flowmasters are trash from a performance stand point. Barely flow any better if at all then stock mufflers. Over all Magnaflow is the better muffler. That being said, if you are going purely for sound, flowmaster is a lot louder, although magnaflow does tend to get louder over time, flowmaster does have a beefier sound.
Well my next question is, if i were to get the magnaflow over a flowmaster would i actually notice a performance difference?

·
Registered
984 Posts
To a certain extent. It's not exactly snap your neck gains, but yes you will gain a little depending on how your exhaust is set up. I have 2 Magnaflow mufflers going straight back with an H pipe just after the last set of cats, and have my pipes dumped after the rear axle. I did feel a little difference after the exhaust change, but i also have a custom tune to take full advantage of the freer flowing exhaust. As far as sound goes, it has gotten louder after 30k miles. Ill post pictures later if you want.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To a certain extent. It's not exactly snap your neck gains, but yes you will gain a little depending on how your exhaust is set up. I have 2 Magnaflow mufflers going straight back with an H pipe just after the last set of cats, and have my pipes dumped after the rear axle. I did feel a little difference after the exhaust change, but i also have a custom tune to take full advantage of the freer flowing exhaust. As far as sound goes, it has gotten louder after 30k miles. Ill post pictures later if you want.
Yea id love some pics of it, if its not too much trouble. Yeah i wasn't really expecting anything jaw dropping when it came to the exhaust. Lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
The Flows will be quite loud. My friend has Magnaflow on his truck and it sounds pretty good. It might be the catback on his Ford 5.4.

Another friend has a generic Magnaflow on his 5.4 Ford and it doesn't sound so good. Sounds okay, but definitely a generic muffler.

I honestly can't say which one I'd buy... I dunno.

-rockstate

·
Registered
147 Posts
I havent had personal experince with either, but my dad had flowmaster on his 04 Dodge Hemi, it sounded great when you started it or when it was Idle. The performance had increased slightly, but nothing beefy like you are looking for. It would get real quiet when he would floor it, and we are talking 90-95 mph (San Diego Freeways). I have heard good things about Gibson exhaust systems, but since the poll seems to be favoring the Magna or Spintech I would research those. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
OTHER......Corsa Sport Pakage. Absolutely no drone. Sounds like stock at cruising speed. Nice sound when you accelerate.......sweet when you get on it. Easy installation.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Custom power stick.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I got a magnaflow 22" muffler on mine. It has a nice rumble but just sounds like a v8 ricer IMO. A little louder than stock but you know something is there. :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey thanks for all the input guys, ill do a little research on the spintech's also. If anyone has any sound clips or pics id love to see/hear them.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Magnaflow on tundra sounds much better. Dual in dual out

·
Registered
424 Posts
Im just looking for a nice deep rumble, i don't need ear piercing loudness. My JBA is just a little too quiet for me actually, when you hit the gas you really don't hear it at all, the only time you do hear it is when your at a slow cruse and gently apply throttle.
Good post. I was wondering the same thing.:tu:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Flowmaster 50 series and it sounds very good.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a Flowmaster 50 series and it sounds very good.
how is it when you get on the gas?

And like i said before guys im not replacing the entire exhaust system, im only doing a muffler swap.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Pictures as promised. Here's my set up:

Exhaust pipes dumped after rear axle

Dual Magnaflow Exhaust

H-Pipe after 2nd set of Cats

1 - 20 of 22 Posts