Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me get this this straight. I buy the Magnaflow muffler I want, model 12286 from Amazon.com for $81.81 and I cut the pipes on my truck and either clamp or weld them on the new muffler and I am good to go. OR......I pay $521.49 for the Magnaflow model 15809 cat-back system and I get the $81 dollar muffler and I guess $439.68 in pipes. I mean the picture on Magnaflow shows the exact same piping I have on the truck already. Please explain what I am missing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ha! I have often wondered the same thing while looking at the stuff on fleabay. Only thing I can figure is "wow, new pipes".

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Exactly. That's why it's better to just buy a muffler instead of a catback system. I made the mistake on buying the JBA EVOL cat back system (formerly K&N). Ended up cutting out all the piping the kit came with including some stock piping.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, exactly correct, in your thinking.
just buy the muffler you want.
it isn't going to be to loud at 1st!!!!! in time it will get louder.
if loud is what you want, cut out the resinator.
put a straight pipe, cut out the muffler & put whatever 1 you want.
you seem to have 1 in mind.

i would have gone with there smallest.
so when mine goes bad. i'm putting in the smallest magnaflow they make.

& if you like dual pipes do that. i suggest you get long fatter polished tipes.
you might be able to see mine in the southeast section. pictures of the 2007 south florida TS meet/show.
or there are a few different styles. out the side, turn downs, out the back, etc...
also remember there are different sizes of pipes & a whole lot of options on it.
gorilla

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You can have a muffler shop fab up a cat back system for a LOT less than $500.

I paid $330 (install + parts) for my magnaflow from amazon / 2x-4" stainless tips from Jegs and had my muffler shop fab up 2 pipes coming off the muffler (single in / dual out).

I wouldnt pay $500+ for a magnaflow catback, its a waste of money.

Just my .02. :)

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
So let me get this this straight. I buy the Magnaflow muffler I want, model 12286 from Amazon.com for $81.81 and I cut the pipes on my truck and either clamp or weld them on the new muffler and I am good to go. OR......I pay $521.49 for the Magnaflow model 15809 cat-back system and I get the $81 dollar muffler and I guess $439.68 in pipes. I mean the picture on Magnaflow shows the exact same piping I have on the truck already. Please explain what I am missing.
That is what I did. I paid like 68 bucks for the muffler and had a local exhaust shop weld it in using the stock section of the tailpipe off the stock muffler. Also put I think it is a 3 or 3 1/2 inch tip. Sounds realy good too.

Stupid I think to spend 5-6 hundred on exhaust

oops heres a link with some pics of what I did http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1487914-post16/

·
Registered
917 Posts
I payed 300 for a single in dual out magnaflow with tailpipes out behind the tires. The shop wanted 375 and I told them 300 and do it now and they jumped on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts