Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys last week my passeneger side back piping from the muffler rusted loose and now i slid it back in but it made me go forth and redo my exhaust sooner than expected and by next week i'll have my steps in place to go 2.5'' true dual . Dual powersticks on order along with my x pipe not to mention my trd headers will be gettin installed right after but my question is this ,do i get the mufflers attached to my excisting rear piping ? orrrr have it dumped out the passenger side ? and as for power sticks should i get the 2018sb
Classic Chambered 2018SB Chambered Muffler : eBay Motors (item 250506114920 end time May-27-10 05:11:58 PDT)
or the 2520-cobra muffler no packing so it'll b loud as **** !! (3'' in 3'' out but the flow path 2.5'' which is what im goin for)
Classic Chambered 2520-Cobra 3" Muffler : eBay Motors (item 260406660496 end time Jun-01-10 10:43:11 PDT)
if i get it dumped out the passenger side i'll prob do tips like these
MBRP 5 INCH BLACK BOLT ON EXHAUST TIP STAINLESS : eBay Motors (item 110414236890 end time May-11-10 12:25:07 PDT)
no after all this heres my youtube vid of how it all sounds at start up now with the flowmaster 40 plus a look under the truck . . . . YouTube - 02 tundra flowmaster exhaust . . . leave your ideas and opinions bout it all !!! thanks :beavbutt:

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I think you are going to loose all kinds of low end by going to a true dual 2.5 inch exhaust. Believe it or not the stock exhaust piping is actually pretty darn close to perfect. The stock headers suck and when I get bills paid and back on my feet and money to play with I will be doing a set of long tube headers.

If you are set on duals then maybe you should consider a set of foolies. Run the regular piping to your new muffler and then run a set of splits off the back of the muffler to foolies out the back. I am running everything stock and replaced the resonator with a glass pack, replaced the muffler with an Aero Turbine, and a set of foolies out the back. Sounds great and no noticeable loss of power.

Here is a thread about about another member's exhaust.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeaaaa idk bout all that . . . . but i have heard mike opinons of going true dual tho with our trucks. thanks for the input tho

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
yeaaaa idk bout all that . . . . but i have heard mike opinons of going true dual tho with our trucks. thanks for the input tho
OK, even when I tried to sound it out, I have no idea what this says or means. Are you talking about Mike Honcho?;)

There are countless exhaust threads on here. Most, if not all of them recommend sticking with the stock pipe size to maintain low end torque. And, IMO, those 5" tips will look like sh!t on a Gen1, especially if you go with duals.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, even when I tried to sound it out, I have no idea what this says or means. Are you talking about Mike Honcho?;)

There are countless exhaust threads on here. Most, if not all of them recommend sticking with the stock pipe size to maintain low end torque. And, IMO, those 5" tips will look like sh!t on a Gen1, especially if you go with duals.

haha yeaaa sometimes i dont reread what i type . . . .and idk the 5''s might not look too bad just gotta see . . if not there's always 6'' or even 8 or 9'' just gotta see what looks better (haha thats a joke i would never , prob go with 3.5 if it doesnt look right ) . . . anyone do true dual with 2.5'' ?

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Highwaylizard, just wondering; where are you going to get "long tube" headers for a first Generation Tundra.....I'd love a set.....But I don't belive anyone makes "Long tube" headers for our trucks....please, correct me!!! CSM-H

I think you are going to loose all kinds of low end by going to a true dual 2.5 inch exhaust. Believe it or not the stock exhaust piping is actually pretty darn close to perfect. The stock headers suck and when I get bills paid and back on my feet and money to play with I will be doing a set of long tube headers.

If you are set on duals then maybe you should consider a set of foolies. Run the regular piping to your new muffler and then run a set of splits off the back of the muffler to foolies out the back. I am running everything stock and replaced the resonator with a glass pack, replaced the muffler with an Aero Turbine, and a set of foolies out the back. Sounds great and no noticeable loss of power.

Here is a thread about about another member's exhaust.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
kept factory size pipes isnt very loud anymore but def more can feel a big difference over straights. sadly are engines depend on a lot of backpressure... so no good sounding exhaust... best of luck

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
sadly S&S fell victim of this crappy economy and no longer exists! I am currently working with Torque Monster on making a set for our trucks. S&S was $1200 which included the y pipe and cats. I'm using mine no cats and true dual (which was good for 14 extra hp) So basically it's better to fabricate the rest of the system than it is to buy all the stuff after the headers.

Who would be serious about getting a set at around $800 per pair? I would need deposits on 4 sets for this to happen.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
sadly S&S fell victim of this crappy economy and no longer exists! I am currently working with Torque Monster on making a set for our trucks. S&S was $1200 which included the y pipe and cats. I'm using mine no cats and true dual (which was good for 14 extra hp) So basically it's better to fabricate the rest of the system than it is to buy all the stuff after the headers.

Who would be serious about getting a set at around $800 per pair? I would need deposits on 4 sets for this to happen.

Very serious about getting a pair but it will be at least until the end of the year before I am in a position financially to do this. $800 a pair seems a little steep even with initial design and fabrication.

Really bent out of shape over S&S going out of business.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Very serious about getting a pair but it will be at least until the end of the year before I am in a position financially to do this. $800 a pair seems a little steep even with initial design and fabrication.

I was pissed when I heard S&S was gone. I've tried calling and emailing every contact I had for them. Hopefully they'll start back up as another company or something. I heard that they got locked out of their building for not paying the rent.

The guy I've been talking with about developing a set of these would do one off but it's a couple grand. I've spoke with a couple guys who make custom headers and that's what they're saying.

I've considered taking off my S&S headers and making a jig myself too. So I think we could make something happen. But it's difficult to get together 4 people at the same time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so been thinkin . . in stead of the 2.5'' i want to go with . . . . . should i just go for 2.25'' tubing with x pipe and dump the exhaust in front of the rear passenger tire ?? now mind you, i do have TRD headers that will be installed shortly after all this is all installed and the factory cats will b kept in place . . . what you guys think ??

would it make any difference if i throw on 2.5'' pipping after the muffler or keep it all the same diameter ???
oh and at the moment i have 3'' pipe from the y goin to the flowmaster 40 and 2.5'' goin out back . . . would i fell the difference after i change this all ? even headers, when they are installed ? and with the backperssure issue . . the long tube give you what you need but will the trd headers do the same for me ??

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
ok so been thinkin . . in stead of the 2.5'' i want to go with . . . . . should i just go for 2.25'' tubing with x pipe and dump the exhaust in front of the rear passenger tire ?? now mind you, i do have TRD headers that will be installed shortly after all this is all installed and the factory cats will b kept in place . . . what you guys think ??

would it make any difference if i throw on 2.5'' pipping after the muffler or keep it all the same diameter ???
oh and at the moment i have 3'' pipe from the y goin to the flowmaster 40 and 2.5'' goin out back . . . would i fell the difference after i change this all ? even headers, when they are installed ? and with the backperssure issue . . the long tube give you what you need but will the trd headers do the same for me ??
what truck do you have?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Nice looking truck! I know the 4.7L benefits by dual exhaust. I dyno'd before and after installing Long Tube headers. I then dyno'd before and after installing 2.5" dual exhaust.

If you don't have Long Tube headers it's going to be a little tricky. Rule of thumb is you want the diameter of tubing to stay the same all the way back. I think the stock tubing before the y pipe is 2 1/8" , or some other odd size. I wouldn't go much bigger than that unless you have headers that can flow enough to keep those pipes filled.

Another way to look at it is, what diameter is the collectors in the headers? What diameter is the primary tubes? Both of those things will help determine what size tubing can be used in the exhaust system.

I recently tried 2.25" tubing on a 5.7L and found there was waaaay too much back pressure. You could tell because the exhaust blew on you from 8 feet away at idle. With more displacement and HP I can understand why. My truck gets away with such large tubing because the headers flow much better than the stock manifolds. I have always wanted to do a 4.7L with shortie or TRD headers and dual exhaust.

I thought I would try 2.25" tubing with either X or H pipe and give it a shot. It would be cool to dyno before and after too, but I would bet it's good for at least 10 hp over going single.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice looking truck! I know the 4.7L benefits by dual exhaust. I dyno'd before and after installing Long Tube headers. I then dyno'd before and after installing 2.5" dual exhaust.

If you don't have Long Tube headers it's going to be a little tricky. Rule of thumb is you want the diameter of tubing to stay the same all the way back. I think the stock tubing before the y pipe is 2 1/8" , or some other odd size. I wouldn't go much bigger than that unless you have headers that can flow enough to keep those pipes filled.

Another way to look at it is, what diameter is the collectors in the headers? What diameter is the primary tubes? Both of those things will help determine what size tubing can be used in the exhaust system.

I recently tried 2.25" tubing on a 5.7L and found there was waaaay too much back pressure. You could tell because the exhaust blew on you from 8 feet away at idle. With more displacement and HP I can understand why. My truck gets away with such large tubing because the headers flow much better than the stock manifolds. I have always wanted to do a 4.7L with shortie or TRD headers and dual exhaust.

I thought I would try 2.25" tubing with either X or H pipe and give it a shot. It would be cool to dyno before and after too, but I would bet it's good for at least 10 hp over going single.
hey dude , thanks shes a work in progress . . . but hey have a question for you . . since im doing true duals , shoulds i get rid of the stock cats??? should i run after market ? or none ? i kno if i dont run any the cheak engine light will be on and i wouldnt be able to pass inspection . soo my guesss would be that i would have to run a magnaflow cats or something whan it come to cats i realy am not to sure what to do . . . get back to me with any ideas

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

I have a source!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $450

1 - 20 of 41 Posts