Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I/m looking to "fix" my exhaust. It currently looks the this.
Clothing Lingerie Undergarment Thigh Leg
The muffler is a flow master of some sort (or equivalent). It's too loud and drones. I'm looking at just replacing it with a Gibson muffler either round or oval. Which ever is quieter. My questions is looking at this diagram is there something I should do to make the whole thing more efficient, and is there any issue with cutting off the dual dual tips :rolleyes: between the rear axle and rear bumper and leaving it that way?

Pics for posterity
Land vehicle Pickup truck Vehicle Tire Car

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I always wanted re route the pipes from each side of the engine down separate pipes. i don't know if that would help efficiency or drone :confused:however, it is something i was always curious in doing :rolleyes:
The 2007 + tundras sort of did this but, the gasses go in the same muffler---> i would have one muffler per side. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I want to get rid of the flowmaster for sure. I'm wondering if there is a better option for quiet/efficient exhaust and if cutting the tips off under the bed will cause more drone issues.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I always wanted re route the pipes from each side of the engine down separate pipes. i don't know if that would help efficiency or drone however, it is something i was always curious in doing
The 2007 + tundras sort of did this but, the gasses go in the same muffler---> i would have one muffler per side. "

I've thought about doing this, but my practical side keeps getting in the way.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just got back a few hours ago from the muffler man, I now have 2" stainless from cats back to muffler from each side. Changed the muffler to a whopper 26 x 12 from the JBA one which was around 14 x 8. I have drone issues too, but the drone is quieter now from the larger muffler. If you're serious about getting rid of the drone I'd contact escondidotundra on here, he makes some nice drone quieting mufflers.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
So would I add two of these? One on each side after the muffler? My exhaust is 3" (I believe) in front of the muffler.
Actually you can go with the 3" size one and it would precede the muffler like the stock OEM setup. The exahust shop would either sleeve it on both ends or use a pipe spreader to enlarge one end to fit over the other before welding it into place.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1142/overview/

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm... I think I will try that. I'll let you know how it works.

That leaves me with the last question, will cutting off the stupid dual tips underneath the bed, but after the rear axle, cause any sound issues?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
The exhuast tips are for cosmetic reasons only; they shouldn't effect performance or sound. Never hear of anyone putting them on for sound reasons unless they're widening the pipe.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The exhuast tips are for cosmetic reasons only; they shouldn't effect performance or sound. Never hear of anyone putting them on for sound reasons unless they're widening the pipe.
Yes and no. Mostly for cosmetics but when I worked at a custom exhaust shop, we used some awesome stainless tips that were something like 5"x18" that made the exhaust a world different.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I mean will having the pipes not exit the vehicle but dump under the bed, just before the rear bumper, be a bad thing (for any possible reason). I just hate the look of 4 pipes sticking out the back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes and no. Mostly for cosmetics but when I worked at a custom exhaust shop, we used some awesome stainless tips that were something like 5"x18" that made the exhaust a world different.
Wow, never heard of anything like that! I think I'll pass on that one though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It gives it a bit more rumble vs normal pipes straight out the back

·
Registered
258 Posts
You may get some exhaust pooled up in traffic or when engine running and not moving, most carmakers design the exhaust exit to be outside the diameter of the vehicle so gas doesn't "trap" or enter cabin from underneath.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
If it were me, I would read through this first, then PM escondidotundra before spending any money. It just might be cheaper to get one BAMuffler than it would 2 resonators and a muffler. Plus the advice from Keith is always free.
Yes, its a long thread, but you don't have to read all of it, the first page alone should answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...rly-built-exhaust-system-works-5/#post2188713

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I guess I mean will having the pipes not exit the vehicle but dump under the bed, just before the rear bumper, be a bad thing (for any possible reason). I just hate the look of 4 pipes sticking out the back.
You may get some exhaust pooled up in traffic or when engine running and not moving, most carmakers design the exhaust exit to be outside the diameter of the vehicle so gas doesn't "trap" or enter cabin from underneath.
Somebody also mentioned last week that they dropped their rear exhuast pipes so it wouldn't get in the way of the hitch they were mounting.

Pics or it didn't happen! :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
dumping the exhaust before the bumper ---> may not be legal -----> or at least possibly dangerous cus of co2 gases being trapped under the truck, but i would talk to some body that really knows about that stuff. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.:D

1 - 20 of 58 Posts