Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some pictures of my new exhaust setup. I used a dual in/out 50 series flowmaster with the pipes exiting out the side before the rear wheels. The muffler had 2.25 inch tubing which I had to bump up to 2.5 id to make it work since flowmaster didn't make a 50 series with 2.5 inch ins/outs.

I love the sound - very quiet at idle, slightly aggressive when on the gas, very little drone. Hope you guys like it. I'm working on getting a sound clip up for you guys to hear it.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
looks good cant wait to get an exaust on mine. do the pipes cme out infront or behind the tire? whats th resonator for after the exaust do yu really need it there?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks good cant wait to get an exaust on mine. do the pipes cme out infront or behind the tire? whats th resonator for after the exaust do yu really need it there?
The tips exit in front of the rear wheels - was going for the "lightning" look :D If you're talking about the stock resonator - no it's not necessary to have it, but further reduces noise.

·
Banned
888 Posts
I'm liken that two on the right exit thing you have
there :tu:
Got a pic of the muffler exit routing ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Isnt the length from the headers to the muffler uneven? (driver side being longer in the pics I've seen).

How did you solve that?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Isnt the length from the headers to the muffler uneven? (driver side being longer in the pics I've seen).

How did you solve that?
Yes there is about 2 more feet of pipe and 2 more bends on the drivers side. Why would that be a problem? His set-up is routed the same way as the factory system up to the muffler.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That would create a pressure differential for either side of the engine.

I read something somewhere (I'll dig it up), that the OEM muffler has a 2nd loop for the 'short side', so that the sides are properly equalized.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I remember reading that also, but one member had the stock muffler cut open and there was no such loop.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hmm I had never really thought about it that much, but with these new high-tech motors with sensors in everything, I guess it could make a difference. I hope not because I have the same set-up as him. I think if it did make a big difference, we would hear about more problems because all dual systems use the same cat back set-up with more pipe on the drivers side. Plus with a full dual system that exits behind the rear tires theres even more extra pipe on the drivers side vs. the pass side.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The difference in exhaust pulse aided scavenging is negligible on an unequal length dual exhaust system like in the tundra. The relationship in length of primary pipes on a header/manifold before merging into the collector is far more important than the difference in length of the exhaust bank piping after the collectors. A baffled muffler like the one on a tundra will create more friction against the exhaust pulses coming out of both sides of the engine to such an extent that it won't make much of a difference how long the pipe is going into the muffler. This is why straight through style mufflers generally make more power than baffled or chambered ones.

Toyota compensates the stock muffler for sound purposes rather than for performance/efficiency. They didn't use any longer tubing inside the muffler to accomplish this, instead they added an extra baffle in front of the passenger side exhaust bank to attenuate the louder exhaust pulses from the shorter, more direct side. I had the chance to look at a stock tundra muffler that someone had taken a plasma cutter to. Unfortunately didn't have a camera with me to take pictures for you guys to see.

There are very few vehicles that actually have a symmetrically designed exhaust system. The ones that do have a better exhaust note as a result. I always have admired the nissan 350z for it's stock exhaust sound - this is a great example.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting...

So after looking at the additional baffle and how its designed, could it be a point of restriction, relative to the other side, to possibly compensate for the pressure differential?

·
Registered
173 Posts
II think it looks cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts