Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of aftermarket exhaust are you guys using? I know nothing about them. A shop by my house recommended a flowmaster muffler with their pipes. I'm not sure what type of exhaust pipes they use. Anyway, I guess Flowmaster makes a version that is load on takeoff but then levels out after so the cab noise is minimal. That is what I want. He had it on his truck there and it looked and sounded great. Anyway, he said $350 for dual either running out the isde or rear out the door. Any thoughts or recommendations? Things I should know, etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have the flowmaster 40 sieries. i used stock pipes, and just got a nice shiny crome tip instead of the steel one. i went with a single exaust on mine, i prefer to have the extra tourqe than horsepower. i think it sounds great! there is a bit of a drone around 1500-2300 rpm, but i love that sound, others have said they dont. i would recomand this setup , unless you plan on doing somthing later, like a suppercharger, then get dual.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,306 Posts
stelers said:
What type of aftermarket exhaust are you guys using? ...
Any thoughts or recommendations? Things I should know, etc? Thanks!
If you must change your exhaust, consider replaceing just your muffler with a matching Magnaflow muffler. Re-use your existing stainless pipes.
You should be able to get this done for about $100.

Brutally honest again :D

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
stelers said:
What type of aftermarket exhaust are you guys using? I know nothing about them. A shop by my house recommended a flowmaster muffler with their pipes. I'm not sure what type of exhaust pipes they use. Anyway, I guess Flowmaster makes a version that is load on takeoff but then levels out after so the cab noise is minimal. That is what I want. He had it on his truck there and it looked and sounded great. Anyway, he said $350 for dual either running out the isde or rear out the door. Any thoughts or recommendations? Things I should know, etc? Thanks!
guess I will chime in here for BORLA. Great sound, looks, build quaility, and the best warranty hands down. :D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Just get the muffler replaced and reuse the stock pipe. Its the best setup for power. If you increase your exhaust pipe diameter over the stock 2-3/8" pipe you'll loose low-end torque and hate it.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
I like my TRD exhaust a lot. I have posted a lot about my opinions of it before. I also have a few videos of it in my photos. You can watch them to get a feel for how it sounds.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
03SilverSky said:
What size is your TRD muffler?
It is about 21-22" long and about 9-10" wide. I didn't measure how tall it was. Why do you ask anyhow?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Magnaflow = Poor Mans TRD

Agent WD-40 said:
It is about 21-22" long and about 9-10" wide. I didn't measure how tall it was. Why do you ask anyhow?
I am going to replace my OEM muffler with a Magnaflow and keep my stock pipes. I have heard the TRD mufflers and Magnaflows are similar in their throaty tone. I am not sue what size Magnaflow to go with. I was thinking 14". If your TRD is 22" then the 14" maybe too obnoxious for me...I am leaning toward an 18" now.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
03SilverSky said:
I am going to replace my OEM muffler with a Magnaflow and keep my stock pipes. I have heard the TRD mufflers and Magnaflows are similar in their throaty tone. I am not sue what size Magnaflow to go with. I was thinking 14". If your TRD is 22" then the 14" maybe too obnoxious for me...I am leaning toward an 18" now.
I would be interested in how you think the magnaflow sounds compared to the TRD. Have you heard a TRD exhaust before? Looking at the website and my TRD muffler there sure seem quite similar.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
How about splicing a 2½" AeroTurbine muffler into stock pipes? The best price I've found is here

We need someone to try just the muffler and report back--no other changes, stock pipe, stock intake, just this muffler.

Ken

·
Registered
369 Posts
just installed a gibson dual side about 2 weeks ago ,love it very easy to install you can check it out in my pictures. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just Drawing Conclusions From Info. I Read

Agent WD-40 said:
Have you heard a TRD exhaust before?
No I havn't. I havn't heard a Magnaflow either. I wish I could try on mufflers like I can try on clothes!

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
03SilverSky said:
No I havn't. I havn't heard a Magnaflow either. I wish I could try on mufflers like I can try on clothes!
Some muffler shops will allow you to do this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got my new muffler and tip today on my 2004 Tundra DC. My muffler shop allowed my to try on a variety..I was set on a magnaflow until I heard it...It is all about personal taste. I listened to 4 different magnaflows and settled on a flowmaster 50 series. I just had the sound I was looking for. They guy at the shop went to an openhouse where magnaflow mufflers are made...and said they are also the ones making the TRD muffler..He saw it with his own eyes. I figured this was common knowledge. Anyway, the exhaust system had an extra resonator on it after the cat and before the muffler. They just eliminated it from my system and sounds much better. Peace.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Tundra 4x4 limited double cab 4.7l
31 Posts
pulling the manifolds for headers would probably be a more worth while upgrade. Manifolds are prone to cracking and making the outflow better would wake the engine up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts