Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad got me a stainless tip for my exhaust and I just installed it today. It involved cutting off the factory tip, which I was reluctant to do, but it does look a lot better.

The new tip looks something like this Universal Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip/3" Inlet Diameter by 3A Racing - Part 62-2417 - Advance Auto Parts and has some sort of packing around the inside. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but I think it really cut down on the drone from my aero turbine muffler. Maybe it's mostly because the exhaust vents a little further from the truck, maybe not. BUT, it does seem to have mellowed it out a little, which I'm disappointed about. I mean, the first thing people would say when they heard my truck would be "It sounds like it's going to kill someone", now I think it's mellower. Will this go away as the packing breaks in? I know that's the case with mufflers, but tips?

Maybe it's just me?:confused:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
A resonated tip will reduce overall sound volume by a small amount, but more significantly, it can shift down the drone point. If you were experiencing drone at highway cruise at 60 mph, a tip can make the drone appear at 55 mph instead, for example.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
^^Agreed. A tip can change the tone. The length and diameter of the tip as well if it is resonated or not is the key. From experience, I had 2.25" pipes out the back and it was nice and mellow, then put on 18" 3.5" rolled edge slant cut tips and it is "loud", no drone but loud.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
if u want to get rid of the packing, stick a torch to it. that'll burn it out kinda like people used to do with glasspacks...heck in HS we used to get them good n hot and shove a water hose in there to crack all that stuff lose haha man we were dumb.

but yeah, the tip can change the tone of the exhaust. generally speaking, the smaller diameter the tip/pipe, the "louder" it is, and the larger you go, the lower in tone it goes and makes it somewhat less "loud" but lower tone, if that makes any sense at all. friend of mine had a 66 chevy pickup with duals out the back and small diamter pipes. man that thing was loud and would pop pop pop then we put some "echo tips" as we called tehm back then, on there and it made it noticeably less loud but alot lower in tone.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
if u want to get rid of the packing, stick a torch to it. that'll burn it out kinda like people used to do with glasspacks...heck in HS we used to get them good n hot and shove a water hose in there to crack all that stuff lose haha man we were dumb.
Meeeemories! :rolleyes:
This was the thing to do when I was in HS too, did it to my buddies 64 malibu with glass packs(5 minutes after install) and my other buddies Buick with glass packs. You are not alone in the dumbness my friend!:tu:

And I completely agree, bigger inside diameter= deeper tone. The packing will disintegrate over time.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Sawzall?
Just give it time. I think the hotter it gets, the faster it will break down. Maybe take a nice road trip, and open her up for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts