Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 DC with the 5.7 and 6 speed automatic. As you know it also can be shifted in the "S" mode for standard shifting. It does not matter if I am going 55 mph or 25 it always says 4th gear on my display when is shift in the "S" mode. Could someone explain how all this works when in the "S" mode. Thanks.

·
Registered
916 Posts
When you go to S mode, it won't let you shift above whatever gear is shown on the selector. When you push it over to S, it defaults to 4th gear. If you push up or down on the gear selector, it'll change the maximum gear. Its use is to hold a lower gear when towing, rather then hunt for gears and overdrive. Its also useful to slow the vehicle without wearing down your brakes.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
owners manual. or search.

but the spoon fed version is this, all it does is selects the highest gear you will go into...if it displays 4, then 1,2,3,and4 will work as normal it just wont go past 4th. its helpful when on hilly or whatever terrain where it keeps wanting to downshift out of 6th over and over....put it in lower gear to hold it...also helpful to use engine braking to slow down....dont worry it wont let u downshift to far, it will beep at you. but again...RTFM.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I guess it wont let you shift upshift past certain parameters either.. I have been going up hills with "6" displaying and I try to shift to 6th.. but i can tell from the rpms that its not in 6th

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Once you shift into "S" and it goes into 4th, just push and hold the shifter forward (+) for a couple of seconds and it will go into 6th, bypassing 5th gear. "S" mode is useful for driving in heavy, slow traffic or descending long grades while towing. Also, the Tow/Haul mode is disabled in the "S" mode.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
It goes into fourth because by default because no matter what speed, you will not over rev your engine in fourth gear. Good for doing burnouts....

·
Registered
859 Posts
It just sets the maximum gear you can go into, thats all. It's still automatic, just with a smaller range. To test, put it in 4, stop the truck, then move off again. You will see that it still says 4, but you will be in 1st. You could kinda use it like a manual, but UNLIKE a manual, you cannot make it hold a higher gear. Just a lower one by changing the 'maximum allowed gear'.

Furthermore, it won't change down into a lower gear unless the revs are safe to do so.

I only use it one some areas out in the hill country. Not much use for it elsewhere. Probably might be useful if going through a series of twisty bends, but this is Texas!

·
Registered
422 Posts
"S" is for supplemental transmission. thats how you get to gears 7-12. If it shows 4 on yours, you need to take it back for the recall.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Your tranny is stuck in "BS".
Agreed.

The "S" stands for sequential shift, and like what others said no matter what speed your going it will always go into 4th.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Posts like these are more proof how different we all are.Some here answered how they're seldom in "S" mode,I'm seldom NOT in "S" mode:D Another way a few of us are different too, we've actually 'made the effort for ourselves', to read the Owner's Manual!:p

·
Registered
202 Posts
I pull a rather large fifth wheel and use the S mode to slow the rig down going down steep grades in conjunction with my brakes and trailer brakes. I also use it to slow and stop the truck when pulling my rig as well. I'll be going about 60 and drop through the gears as I get off at an off ramp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts