Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Extended warranty is worthless!

8K views 69 replies 30 participants last post by  Time4change 
#1 ·
So far I feel that extended warranty is worthless.:dry3d:
They did not cover my warped rotors and today disappointed me again by offering to replace the key for $150?!?!:td:
Was using the same key since the beginning but only to start the truck. Recently the battery on my Viper remote went dead and I found out the cold truth, that my key will not open the door. However it will start the truck and open the tailgate.
So had to get my spare key, compare to that one couple teeth on the old one got worn out by 45K.
Did not get the new one, using the spare for now.
Make sure you change the batteries:D
So what else is not covered by that stupid warranty? I don't want to have any more bad news at the dealership:td:

#2 ·
How many miles? I can understand the rotors but the key.... I can't believe they won't give you a new key???

#4 ·
All warranties are bull Poop. They say it will do everything, but when it comes time they are like that is not covered. I was told I have lifetime powertrain warranty, but we will see if something breaks. Hope it does not happen.

#5 ·
I rarely buy extended warranties on my Toyotas. They don't really need them and for the other misc things, the extended warranty doesn't cover them.

#6 ·
All warranties are bull Poop. They say it will do everything, but when it comes time they are like that is not covered. I was told I have lifetime powertrain warranty, but we will see if something breaks. Hope it does not happen.
That was the first car that I got that warranty, mostly because of 0% and 07 Tundra being the first year model. So far I think this Yota warranty is a bull:rolleyes:

#7 ·
Sorry to hear about that! Seems like they try harded to get out of warranty work than actually covering it.

#8 ·
My wife's 4Runner warranty paid for itself 3 times over when the sunroof crapped out. Paid $880 for the 7/100K, sunroof repair would have been $2500 my cost, no deductible and a free loaner vehicle. My Tundra's starter crapped out in my garage 3 days ago, they paid for my tow and I've been in a Tacoma TRD loaner for the last 3 days no charge and no deductible. I was never a believer in them until I've seen how complex the newer vehicles have become.

#9 ·
My Tundra's starter crapped out in my garage 3 days ago,
Have you gotten your truck back yet? Any info on the starter R&R? The starter sits between the passenger exhaust manifold and engine block. I imagine it's a HUGE hassle to replace it. Keep us updated, it may be a DIY for some of us one day :)

#10 ·
My wife's 4Runner warranty paid for itself 3 times over when the sunroof crapped out. Paid $880 for the 7/100K, sunroof repair would have been $2500 my cost, no deductible and a free loaner vehicle. My Tundra's starter crapped out in my garage 3 days ago, they paid for my tow and I've been in a Tacoma TRD loaner for the last 3 days no charge and no deductible. I was never a believer in them until I've seen how complex the newer vehicles have become.
I have been driving Toyotas since 99 and never needed any repairs, it was always only an oil change for me. Never got any extended warranty, but for some stupid reason I got one for this truck.
So far I am $700 out of pocket for rotors. I wish I had my extended warranty payment, it would cover the new key as well:D

#11 ·
Were they past the original warranty?

#12 ·
Which extended warranty did u get? Platinum? Silver? etc...

#15 ·
That sucks... I also bought the Platinum. Go twist their arm a little more!

#17 ·
They push extended warranties like for 1500 bucks or so you will be completely 100% worry free for 100 thousand miles and be guarenteed never to have to put money out for anything but oil changes. Truth is most of the same rules about normal wear and tear vs. defect still apply, only for longer, and you're also paying for redundancy with the standard one in the beginning. Geico squares me away for like 70K on the powertrain for a little piece of mind so that was good enough for me.

#19 ·
I have Platinum on both, wife's was added just before factory expired when I extended it, bought it from Troy Deitrich (sp?) at Toyota of Greenfield in MA, found out about him on TS, 2-3 months later sunroof crapped out, glad I got it. Prior to knowing about the deals Toyota in Greenfield was giving I paid $1600 on my Tundra, sucked could of saved $500, but as my great grandfather said "education costs money!" Either way I wouldn't go without it nowadays. Still waiting on the dealer to finish my truck, getting a couple of other things squared away, free loaner, can't beat it.

#20 ·
I would think that the teeth on the key are technically a "wear" item... unless it was cut wrong from the factory, who knows what the hell you do with it in your free time... grinding it into a shiv for the prison riot, home made ear canal scratcher, etc :)

#21 ·
I decided to not buy any extended warranty for my 2010 Highlander...

Last time I bought an extended warranty for my 4Runner... 7yr/75K... and it broke down (timing belt) at 99K... so useless.

I did buy for my Tundra... I guess... that's another useless, waste of $$$.

I just do not want to shell out more $$$ for my Highlander.... cross my fingers!

#24 ·
CWIT - 18k is a little different than 45k... Depends on the anticipated life span of the rotor and why they needed replacing... Rotors, brake pads, belts, hoses, and fluids are generally never covered... I got a 72 month 0% warranty and it was 1200 for the platinum extended warranty.. so for an extra $17 a month I don't have to worry about a major repair (of even an expensive small one). I've usually broken even with my extended warranty's - so I am really paying for epace of mind should I actually decide to keep a vehicle for 5 years....

Anways, I would push the issue with the key a little and see where it goes. Maybe try another dealer?

#25 ·
My rotors were covered under warrenty at 18,000 miles. Must be a dealer thing. I bought the 125,000 - 8 year warrenty.
My rotors were covered at 21k, than the new ones crapped out at 38k.
So I was under assumption, that they should last more than 20k and still believed that they would make an exception since YOTA has a problem with those.
But regional representative informed me and the dealership, that Toyota DOES NOT have that problem. And I guess 20k IS a NORMAL wear.
Here is my angry post on those
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/175263-mad-38k-rotors-warped-again-need/

I would think that the teeth on the key are technically a "wear" item... unless it was cut wrong from the factory, who knows what the hell you do with it in your free time... grinding it into a shiv for the prison riot, home made ear canal scratcher, etc :)
Technically yes, but what kinda quality is that. To wear just from starting the truck?!

And my ear canals aren't that bad to wear the teeth out:crazy3d: Points sent for that :)

#26 ·
Yup. Rotors are a wear item. They can also be short lived (warped) with over tourqing wheel studs/lugs, overheating from towing, etc.

See attached for the Platinum details.

-------clip----------
ITEMS NOT COVERED
[FONT=Neutra Text TF Alt,Neutra Text TF Alt][FONT=Neutra Text TF Alt,Neutra Text TF Alt]Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes, Rotors and Drums; [/FONT]
Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder and Key Set

[/FONT]

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.