Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer has extended bumper to bumper coverage through 100,000 miles and 7 years for $995 with no deductible. I'm sort of torn because I'll be pulling a travel trailer with it and it is the first production year. However, it is Toyota:tu:. Has anyone bought extended warranty in the past and was it worth it? Has anyone wished they had bought it?

·
Registered
399 Posts
The dealer has extended bumper to bumper coverage through 100,000 miles and 7 years for $995 with no deductible. I'm sort of torn because I'll be pulling a travel trailer with it and it is the first production year. However, it is Toyota:tu:. Has anyone bought extended warranty in the past and was it worth it? Has anyone wished they had bought it?
Generally, I don't think they are worth it on Toyota's. HOWEVER, this price seems low. Are you sure it is "bumper to bumer"? Is it a Toyota warranty or an aftermarket 3rd party one? Provided it is a genuine Toyota bumper to bumper warranty, I probably would get it. The power antenna on my landcruiser cost me $300 alone. Can't imagine what NAV woud cost. I expect at least one thing to break before 100k, so $995 seems like a really good bet to me. Actually, I hope they offer it to me when I pick it up next month.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Before you buy it send a PM to Troy, his user name here is TOG. He works for a Toyota dealership in the Northeast, I think in MA. He will give you bottom line price on a Toyota extended warranty. Nobody can beat his price. Some here have even overpaid at their dealership, gone back for a refund and then bought the exact same warranty from Troy at a huge discount. Give him a holler, you won't regret it.

Sammy

·
Registered
213 Posts
Generally, I don't think they are worth it on Toyota's. HOWEVER, this price seems low. Are you sure it is "bumper to bumer"? Is it a Toyota warranty or an aftermarket 3rd party one? Provided it is a genuine Toyota bumper to bumper warranty, I probably would get it. The power antenna on my landcruiser cost me $300 alone. Can't imagine what NAV woud cost. I expect at least one thing to break before 100k, so $995 seems like a really good bet to me. Actually, I hope they offer it to me when I pick it up next month.

Call Troy Dietrich in MA at 413-772-0989 :tu:

Toyota Platinum Extra Care

7 yr 100K $880.00
7 yr 75K $635.00

·
Registered
67 Posts
Could you buy the extended warranty from him even though you live in another state?I live in hawaii and they are charging $2,000 for the extended warranty

·
Registered
213 Posts
Could you buy the extended warranty from him even though you live in another state?I live in hawaii and they are charging $2,000 for the extended warranty
As far as I know, Yes, You live in the 50 states..Call him...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Some here have even overpaid at their dealership, gone back for a refund and then bought the exact same warranty from Troy at a huge discount. Give him a holler, you won't regret it.

Sammy
I'd like to know how they got that done. I think most dealers would say BS and send you on your way.

·
Registered
595 Posts
FWIW I bought an extended warranty. I know this is a Toyota and all but the complete truck is brand new. It may have been a waste of money but it gives me peace of mind. If the truck was in the 5th year of production I would have saved the money and spent it on something else but it is the first year.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'd like to know how they got that done. I think most dealers would say BS and send you on your way.
Well in threads about extended warranties in the last 3 or 4 years some did it. I believe they did it during a 30 day period right after buying it where the contract allowed them a full refund during that 30 day time frame regardless of reason.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I happen to be in that 30-day time frame. I may have to give Mr. Troy Dietrich a call tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
DeLand Toyota in DeLand, FL offers free Lifetime warranties on all their vehicles. This warranty only covers the drivetrain, ie: engine. trans, rear end, basically anthing that makes the truck move down the road. If I were to have a problem my deductible is $100 and Toyota picks up the rest. Only rule is I have to follow my owners manual maintenance schedule, which I do anyway so not a big deal.

This was a huge selling point for me as the other dealer in town was only offering 7 year/100k warranty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My $.02

1) Most extended warranties are overpriced (they will negotiate- try it).

2) I use to do inspections for some of the companies that do those, there are some, mostly out of business now, that are not good companies. Check out who it is from and do some research.

3) Toyota's reliablity is such that it is somewhat of a crapshoot and may not be worth it.

In my case I DID get the extended warranty. My main reason is that this is a new model, drivetrain, etc. There is always a chance for bugs and this drivetrain ain't cheap. Call it a high priced peace of mind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry, forgot to add one more thing.

READ THE FINE PRINT! There are usually some items involving aftermarket and performance mods that can affect coverage. The easiest thing to do is to read the paragraph under what is not covered.

·
Registered
389 Posts
How about private outside companies for extended warranties,are they worth it?
I only get Toyota's extended warranties as they are nationwide, in the system and no hassles. Third party warranties on average aren't worth the paper they're printed on

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had a third party warranty that paid for itself. I didn't have any proplems getting them to authorize or pay for repairs.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had a third party warranty that paid for itself. I didn't have any proplems getting them to authorize or pay for repairs.
Yeah my wife had a 3rd party warranty on her 2000 Infiniti Qx4 which she still drives. When she bought it for 1400 bucks I told her she was crazy. However that warranty paid out about 3000 bucks in repairs before it expired at 100000 miles. She now has 120000 miles on the truck and it is doing well. So I was wrong and she was right.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yeah my wife had a 3rd party warranty on her 2000 Infiniti Qx4 which she still drives. When she bought it for 1400 bucks I told her she was crazy. However that warranty paid out about 3000 bucks in repairs before it expired at 100000 miles. She now has 120000 miles on the truck and it is doing well. So I was wrong and she was right.
I guess it depends on the issuer. I had one and everytime I used it on my wife's Isuzu we'd get rejected or partial payment on the repair only. If you have a choice the extended manufacturers warranty is superior in many ways, not the least of which is the hassle free nature of it.

According to Tom Martino, a local consumer advocate here in Denver, many third party warranties are indeed scams, caveat emptor

·
Registered
595 Posts
I would like to think that if a dealer is selling the 3rd party warranty it's been researched and is legitimate. I wouldn't think they'd risk their reputation selling something that is a scam. Now if you Google'd extended warranties and came up with a screaming deal sold buy an individual I would be suspicious.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I got the extended warranty because of the 07 being a first-year production vehicle. I believe in Toyota quality, but I wanted to play it safe. I got the manufacturers extended warranty from my dealer when I bought the truck. Toyota has at least three levels of extended warranty, each with differing prices and coverage levels. I got the best one, and paid $1,200 for it. It covers just about everything beyond normal maintenance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts