Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I bought a 06 Tacoma just before the Tundra came out and have regretted it ever since, but am picking up my new 5.7 DC on Monday.

Question, should I buy the extended warranty? I am retired now and will only be putting about 10,000 miles/yr on the truck. I am considering the extended warranty which would be the comprehensive warranty (bumper to bumper) for 5 yrs 60,000 miles because of some of the issues AIP etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
IMHO, it's cheap peace of mind for the next 8 years. See the ad to the left of this post, Handy Toyota for prices. Your selling dealer probably won't give you that good a deal. get the Platinum, 8yr, 125K and rest easy knowing that it is covered by Toyota. Some others may chime in on places to buy but whatever you do, buy the genuine Toyota Platinum Service Agreement. Thats what Handy Toyota is selling. Don't buy some off brand, aftermarket warranty.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I agree with Chuckles... if you're gonna buy the warranty at all, might as well spring for the 8yr. I don't put alot of miles on either, so the 8yr/75k Platinum was perfect for me, especially at only $920.

You'll get lots of responses arguing both sides (getting one or not) but personally, the small price of $920 is well worth the peace of mind over the 8 years, and if I use it just once, it'll likely pay for itself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree get the warranty. Bennicde WTG man, you think you regret the Tacoma now? Wait till you get the new Tundra you will really regret that it took you this long to make the switch, but the regret will leave you quick as you blip the throttle. As you noted in my last post not bashing Tacoma trucks, nice little truck but no way it is even close to the Tundra.

The warranty is cheap considering the vehicle is 4x4 , 5.7 liter 381 ponies, great piece of mind. Also I thought with Toyota warranties if you never use them in the extended part of coverage Toyota gives you some money back? Can anyone confirm it

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I have the 8 yr/125k cuz I'm putting more miles on it, but certainly go for the low milage one and be at peace with your 5.7....you win out cuz it's cheaper for you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Peace of mind is right. I bought my 2010 4x4 crewmax a year ago and already got 18,000 miles. Won't take me long to wipe out the standard warranty. A couple days ago I bought the 8 yr/ 125,000 mls, zero detuctible platinum Toyota waranty for $1564 from Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota. Nice guy. Prompt polite service. Couldn't be more satisfied for buying the plan from him. Give Jerry a call, 800-530-5879 or [email protected]

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Peace of mind is right. I bought my 2010 4x4 crewmax a year ago and already got 18,000 miles. Won't take me long to wipe out the standard warranty. A couple days ago I bought the 8 yr/ 125,000 mls, zero detuctible platinum Toyota waranty for $1564 from Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota. Nice guy. Prompt polite service. Couldn't be more satisfied for buying the plan from him. Give Jerry a call, 800-530-5879 or [email protected]
Just bought mine from Jerry, too. I'm racking up miles pretty fast, so I went with the 5yr/125K for $799. Very comfortable transaction.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Just a thought, I took the lowest price on a 8 year/75K warranty and made a counter offer to the finance guy, actually about $25 lower than I found anywhere else. He laughed at me, so I smiled and said ok, I'll buy it from Handy Toyota. He went to his boss, came back about 2 minutes later, and said that they would honor the price. They had heard of Handy and didn't even try to verify the price. It saved me the hassle of mailing paperwork back and forth.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just a thought, I took the lowest price on a 8 year/75K warranty and made a counter offer to the finance guy, actually about $25 lower than I found anywhere else. He laughed at me, so I smiled and said ok, I'll buy it from Handy Toyota. He went to his boss, came back about 2 minutes later, and said that they would honor the price. They had heard of Handy and didn't even try to verify the price. It saved me the hassle of mailing paperwork back and forth.

Make sure it states platinum and with a zero deductible.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

Great job.........except for the "laughed at me part".

After he met your price, I would have "laughed" and told him I'd think about it.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Good piece of mind... I don't much for miles on either but did the 7/75K for something like just over $800. Just make sure it is an official Toyota Platinum warranty and not some 3rd Party cr*p that will stiff you when you try to use it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone..
i am looking to buy extended waranty for my 5.7/ 2008 Crewmax, But I don't know any one in Orange County, California. any recomdations?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Mine was "similar"... when I was purchasing my truck & signing the paperwork, the dealership wanted $1620'ish for the 8yr/75k... I told them that "a dealership through a Tundra Forum" quoted me at $920, so nevermind... I didn't even tell them the name or anything. They came back in a few minutes later and matched the price, no problem. I had it rolled into the purchase price so it's only costing me around $16/mo to have it. Gotta love TS for things like that!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I got a $999 price for 6/125k and went to 2 dealers here in Jax. They said Florida regulates it like insurance and they can't deviate from the prices they quote. So I will be buying from out of state as well. The dealers here wanted $1800 for 5/75k!!

David

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I got 7 yr 100k from Molle in KC for just under 1k... I thought it was a good deal.... guess I need to shop around more next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got great extended waranty from jerry johnson. he is a great guy and give me a great price. i just got it today for my Rav4, 2009.

Jerry Johnson
Warranty Manager
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Superstore
1100 east 30th
Hutchinson, Ks 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
Cell 620-664-8844
Email [email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts