Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I wash the truck and dry it a drip line from both side mirrors shows and dries. It makes a nasty line down the side of the doors. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this annoyance?:ts: ahead of time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
same problem here . i fold my mirrors for the garage too and when they unflod a little water will flow if i put it away wet. i keep a towel and water in the garage and spend 10 sec. wiping it the drip line off with a damp towel. can't say how long i 'll continue to bother.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
If you have air compressor handy blow out the inside of the mirror thats what I had to do on my ex ford.
Air compressor is exactly what I have been doing, plus a good quality wax.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
I blow mine off with a leaf blower.
This is exactly what I do. I got the $20 weed whacker ELECTRIC leaf blower from wal-mart, I took off the extension tubes and everything and lined the blower outlet edge with masking tape. I blow the water off of the whole vehicle. It blows at 120mph or something, and it great for getting water out of all of the little cracks and crevices.
Prior to using that I use the Mr. Clean Autdry system on my hose to rinse the truck with filtered water...the combo means that you really don't have to towel off the vehicle at all, so you reduce your chance of creating swirl marks.
Because of this my corvette is shinier than new!

If you still have a little residue from the drip, I'd use a microfiber cloth and a little elbow grease to buff it off. MacGuire's make a good, gentle compound that can buff this out easily too, and just go back over the area with a dab of wax to make sure that the finish is still sealed if you use a compound.

:) :tu: :)

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Yeah, just blow it out. Dont drive it up the road and come back to dry it, you risk swirling the paint.

To take off the current water spots, Scratch-X should work fine, maybe even white vinegar.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Yeah, just blow it out. Dont drive it up the road and come back to dry it, you risk swirling the paint.

To take off the current water spots, Scratch-X should work fine, maybe even white vinegar.
What is a good car washing detergent (for lack of a better word) that will dry without water spots?

·
Registered
50 Posts
i think the hardness of your water is more of a factor than the detergent used. our water is pretty hard here, leaves spots on everything- my black truck, shower stall, glassware and silverware, etc, etc....

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Duragloss CWC is a great wash, as is Meg's NXT.

Spotting can be solved by just simply drying. I have extremely hard water, but I dry, so it's not a problem.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
Duragloss CWC is a great wash, as is Meg's NXT.

Spotting can be solved by just simply drying. I have extremely hard water, but I dry, so it's not a problem.
I've seen these filters you can connect to your water hose that supposedly remove hardness, but they are very expensive (around $125). Are they for real and are they worth it?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I've seen these filters you can connect to your water hose that supposedly remove hardness, but they are very expensive (around $125). Are they for real and are they worth it?
http://crspotless.com/

They are worth every penny.

I use a gas powered Echo blower to force water out of my door jams and grill and around light assemblies. Once you get the car in the garage to finish up your drying, try opening and closing the doors a few times to force out the stubborn water trapped in the mirrors.

Ive had the water stains a few times, but a simple shot of detail spray takes it right off.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just washed both of my vehicles in the brightest of all sunny days (temp 83) and used the mr clean autodry for the spotless rinse. I don't like the soap so I use only the reg rinse and spotless rinse functions. absolutly not one spot on the paint or windows, the only thing I did was dry the excess droplets with a microfiber towel just by draging it across the panels, with no pressure, then opened the doors and wiped down the jambs.
just my .02

·
Registered
6 Posts
Everytime I wash the truck and dry it a drip line from both side mirrors shows and dries. It makes a nasty line down the side of the doors.
I use my shop vac to get the water out of the mirrors. Works great around the side window molding and the third brake light too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts