Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 AC Tundra that started something last week. There's a faint, but extremely high-pitched, whistling sound (almost like tinnitus) inside the cab when the engine is running. It took a couple days to narrow down, but I've connected it to the brakes. If I press the brake pedal more than half an inch, the whistling stops, and within that 1/2-inch of travel, I can make the whistling change pitch, so the sound is mechanical, not electrical, like some electronics fixing to fail.

I'm assuming that it's a vacuum leak in the brake booster canister. THe brakes are, for now, working just fine. It's not audible within the engine compartment, only the cab. The question is, would this be a whole canister replacement thing, or is there simply a seal that can be replaced?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 2005 AC Tundra that started something last week. There's a faint, but extremely high-pitched, whistling sound (almost like tinnitus) inside the cab when the engine is running. It took a couple days to narrow down, but I've connected it to the brakes. If I press the brake pedal more than half an inch, the whistling stops, and within that 1/2-inch of travel, I can make the whistling change pitch, so the sound is mechanical, not electrical, like some electronics fixing to fail.
I'm assuming that it's a vacuum leak in the brake booster canister. THe brakes are, for now, working just fine. It's not audible within the engine compartment, only the cab. The question is, would this be a whole canister replacement thing, or is there simply a seal that can be replaced?
My truck has been doing the exact same thing!!!... I've been searching high and low for some info on what is making this noise. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this, cuz it's driving me batty!!???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disconnect the vacuum line from the booster, plug it, and see if the noise goes away.
It does. I'm thinking there's a seal where the pushrod goes into the canister, but I've never worked on a booster canister, so I only have a vague idea of what the internals are like.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Any update to this?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Bump.
The high pitch whistle seams to go away in the cooler temps. Spring is here and its back. I think it may be linked to the brake booster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
690 Posts
A leak in the diaphragm in the booster.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hmmm, I've also got a faint high pitch whine but it only comes up with light acceleration at 65-75 highway speeds - letting off the accelerator pedal during typical deceleration or acceleration changes and it goes away - nothing to do with brakes operation. Doesn't even occur at lower street speeds. No issues with alternator according to my Innova 12V cigarette lighter LED meter. Different situation?

·
Registered
146 Posts
It sounds like a totally different high-pitched whine. The high-pitched noise changes its tone when I put my foot on the brake pedal, the whine also continues when I shut the truck off you can still hear it for 20 to 30 seconds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE - A brake booster replacement fixed the whistling.

·
Registered
2 Posts

[/QUO
I have had the whistling noise for a while on my 2011 Tundra. I discovered that my pcv valve was stopped up. I replaced it and the whistle noise has gone away!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the whistling noise on my 2011 Tundra for a while now. Couldnt figure it out . Discovered that my pcv valve was stopped up. I replaced it and now the whistle noise is gone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts