Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this product before? (EZ Down - pickup truck tailgate damper) Apparently they are working on the Tundra application (2005-up), which is unfortunate for me (I have an '04 Tundra). I'm sure I could purchase an '05 kit and retrofit it.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
First time I've seen it, but I'll probably be in line to buy it!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Yea I looked on their website, looks awesome, but I was disappointed to see they didn't make a Tundra kit yet (glad to know they are now)

I really like the idea, just wish someone could come up with a kit that allowed easy up too :) (thats not a torsion bar)

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Yea I looked on their website, looks awesome, but I was disappointed to see they didn't make a Tundra kit yet (glad to know they are now)

I really like the idea, just wish someone could come up with a kit that allowed easy up too :) (thats not a torsion bar)
Since I've never had an "ez lift tailgate" why are you against the torsion bar? I looked at one earlier and thought about buying it. If you can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I just don't care how they work/install. Heres why: (nothing against anyone with a torsion bar, this is just my opinion :) )

To install, you have to drill holes in the sheet metal, which can promote rust if not properly treated

The torsion bar can rub through the paint on the bottom of the tailgate and the back of the bed through time, promoting rust

I have heard of several people who have had the torsion bar "dent" the sheetmetal. The torsion bar takes the weight of the tailgate and transfers it to behind the sheet metal on the side of the bed, making it dent outwards (hope this makes sense)

Also, I'm more of a "bolt on" type of person, so it can be removed later, and does not affect any of the sheet metal. The ez down by deezee is easily removed to take the tailgate off, and it uses existing holes to install.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Understand what you mean. As thin as the sheet metal is I can see where this could be a problem. I wish the EZ down was available. Surely it can't take too long to adapt it for the Tundra.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm looking on their website and I can't find the Tundra application. :confused:

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Here's the link: Dee Zee EZ Down

Go to online catalog, then fill in vehicle description. I know it's available for the 2006 SR5.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks!

Here's the part number for a 06 SR5

Part No: [SIZE=+1]43600[/SIZE]

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Just called performancecenter.com to confirm the product and see what the shipping date would be. While trying to confirm the availability the rep called Dee Zee who told him they would NOT be making it for the Toyota. He said the EzDown will only be available for Dodge, Chevy and Ford. I called Dee Zee and they confirmed that they didn't see enough demand to put the Ez Down for the Tundra in production. Here is the number for Dee Zee so anyone can voice their desire for the product. 1-800-779-8222

·
Registered
161 Posts
We always get the shaft on aftermarket parts!!!!!! im still waiting for clear corner lenses for my 06...yeah probably wont see those.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I guess I'll cancel my order? Performanceparts says it will ship on the 10th, and that is the 43600 unit, which matches up with the Tundra on DeeZee's website. How can there not be enough demand? Id love to have one of these

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I wouldn't cancel the order. Let them come back and tell you the story. Who knows, maybe they did make a few and you will actually get one.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Yup thats what I plan on doing :) Changed my mind yesterday.

EDIT: Just got an email from performancecenter.com. "This item is on order from the manufacturer. Expected date to ship 05/10/2007"

I'm crossin my fingers!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have seen that product as well!!! I would love to have one. I dont understand why they wont manufacture one for toyota. I am gonna call that number and voice my opinion on that shafting by DEEweeZee!!!
Clay

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
when you call ask them how many people would be needed to start manufacturing for Toyota. Then we can start a poll on here to get them to make it.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I think a poll would be a great idea!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I personally spoke with EZ down and they said they will have applications for 2005 and up Tundras later this year (I have an '04 :mad: )

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
performancecenter.com updated the status to "This item is discontinued, please call for other product options."

I'm kinda pissed at DeeZee, how can they leave Toyota out like this, there are plenty of potential customers that own Toyota trucks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts