Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I go in to get my oil changed today, and of course they try to sell me a rear diff. fluid change, a tranny fluid change, and a radiator flush - I don't go for it.

So I drove about 5 blocks to the grocery store, and when I came out I noticed a 2-inch oil puddle on the ground by my rear....look up underneath, and those nob-heads forgot to put my rear diff. fill plug back on!!! It was missing!!! So I stuck my finger in the hole, and luckily there was oil in there (about 1 inch below the fill plug), so I'm not too worried about causing damage to the rear end. But I'm just not sure if any long-term damage could have occurred that I don't know of? What do you guys think?

Needless to say, I called them up, had them drive to me to fill up my rear diff. and put my plug back on. Then I drove back over to their location and had them drain my rear diff, and fill it up with clean oil. The manager said he did the job himself. I don't know if I trust that he did. I am definitely not going back there again. For me, I'd rather pay the extra $10 or $15 and go to the dealer from now on.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Unlikely you did any damage over such a short distance, and there was probably no water or dust to speak of, so don't worry about it. This is exactly the sort of thing that makes me do the work myself. :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I think your right, I shouldn't worry about any long term damage since it was such a short distance and because there was still oil in there.

I don't trust anyone with my cars. I wish I could do the oil changes myself, and I would, but my condo complex is crazy strict about working on cars in the complex...they've sent me a "warning" notice before. I can't wait to buy a real house this summer!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Thanks, I think your right, I shouldn't worry about any long term damage since it was such a short distance and because there was still oil in there.

I don't trust anyone with my cars. I wish I could do the oil changes myself, and I would, but my condo complex is crazy strict about working on cars in the complex...they've sent me a "warning" notice before. I can't wait to buy a real house this summer!

What about going to a friend's place and working on it there? Why is the complex so strict?

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
We sell a unique British super car here in the US finished it's about a $90K. The engines not anything special a 3.0 Ford V6 destroked with forged pistons it get it's power from twin turbos, 400 hp.
A customer picks his up last Friday and in NY stops at a Quick Lube to have it's first oil change done. Somehow they unscrew the center bolt the holds the oil cooler sandwich plate to the block. This in it's self is not a big deal, but they drop the O-ring out from behind the plate. Once they relies they have a major oil leak they then don't have the proper tools to get the center bolt back out. They mangle the threads and then can't get the oil filter back on. They finally get the guy back on the road, still with a leak at the sandwhich plate.
Of course now the guy has to go to a shop and have all the parts they messed up replaced. Plus he has a mess under a new sports car.
Yes, an oil change is a simple job, but these examples go to show that if you are not paying attention you can make a mess out of anything. These quick lube hire inexperienced young people and they get to talking and joking with the other guys or distracted in other ways and this is when things go wrong.
Mike

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wouldnt trust any of those EZ lube places with changing the oil in my lawn mower.
:D :D :D a EZ lube shop near my house was caught lying to people saying they needed things replaced or fluids changed by a local news station:p they took a car that was in perfect condition and new fluids all around and the EZ lube shop told the undercover person that all kinds of crap needed to be changed evev though a trusted mechanic said it had nothing wrong and BAM their buisness went down the crapper :D especially when it was all over the local news

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
First of all, I agree with the other posters that you did NOT, almost for sure, damage your differentail.
Secondly, this is why at age 61, I still do my own maintanence on all 5 family vehicles...ALL of the maintainence and most repairs, as well. The problem is not limited to quick oil-change places.
At dealerships, the most junior, unskilled person working in the shop is generally the one who changes the oil and other fluids. When you look at what passes for skilled mechanics at some dealerships, it sends chills down the spine to think of what the most unskilled person must be like.
Please, do NOT take this as an indictment against mechanics (technicians) at all dealerships. There are still more than a few who are trained, skilled, and who care about good workmanship. Our challenge as consumers is to locate a dealership or shop where they are employed.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I hope you guys realize it's not even just simple franchise businesses like this that can mess up your vehicles. You'd be VERY surprised at the staff some dealerships hire for simple jobs such as fluid changes. The experienced techs get the big jobs.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Why you talk to the owner of the quick-lube place and become good friends with him. Then if you ever have a problem you know he will take good care of you and your vehicle. I'm very close to the owner of the one down the street from me and one time they didn't tighten my oil drain plug enough so it leaked a little in my driveway. He hired a pressure-washer to clean my driveway and gave me two free oil change passes. The key to this world is in all who you know.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm at the point I don't know where to take my cars for any work.
Over the years, all the cars I have owned where under warranty (several makes and models). Each and everyone of those were mechanically damaged.....some seriously (motor or trans).
Nevermind the endless list of body damage and broken plastic parts.

On my current 06 DC I did the replacement of the grille myself, fearing that something so simple will end up being messed up. I just did the oil change on the truck also.
I am actually going to be sick when they do the recall.

I've almost run out of dealerships to buy new cars from.
The stories I have are unbelievable........I could write a book.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Quality routine Auto Maintenance went down hill about the time full service gas stations went outta business!! My father ran a full service station for 38 years and fortunatly i worked in it for 12 years learning life lessons i have with me to this day!! After 20 years as an Aircraft Mechanic i have picked up a few other well needed skills. The first skill i picked up in the Air Force was if ya haven't touched it it's probably broken and if it isn't broken do not break it!! Father had me Lubing and changing oil & filter on all the older 60's and 70's model cars and trucks and i learned the same from him!! Anyone can make a mistake but ya gotta own up to them!! If ya did not run thru any water and sand and ya trust they corrected the job you will be G to G!! Just another reason to run synthetic oil in running gear!! i would not take a VW to a quick lube!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
That just sucks man. However, I use a quick lube place for me autos. But, I know everyone their, went to high school with a couple and the owner is a family friend. I guess this really does not mean much but it comforts me to know the guys doing the service. However, I also own a 94 honda and in the late 90's the oil cap was left off, almost F----ed my engine, but that place is no longer running. I wish I could do more of my own work, and I think I will begin to do more of the work on me 01 Tundra and my 05 Camry.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I do all the work on my mustang so when it comes around time for the Tundra I really not interested. That is the reason I run it down to the quick lube place. Just find a nice place that your friends/family use and get to know the people who work there. Not sure where you are from but down in the South that is easy because most people are willing to chat up about pretty much anything. Make an effort to be nice and just do that everytime you come in. Before you know it they will know you on a first name basis.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I won't use 'em.

Right before I bought it from him, my brother had all the fluids on a Bronco II replaced at a Quick lube and they filled the manual gearbox with ATF instead of 90 weight, and awhile later the box grenaded at 70 mph on the interstate at night....

first time I myself ever took a vehicle to a quick change place, it was a brand new Honda and when I saw the tech take a pair of channel locks to the oil drain plug instead of using a socket, box end, or even an adjustable wrench on it...I swore NEVER AGAIN.

I use genine toyota and subaru filters and Mobil 1 in both my family vehicles now, and do all my own work. Same price as the quick lubes and I get better oil, better filters, and I know the job was done right.
Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is crazy man. I am never going back to any of these places again. Makes me wish I actually watched the guy fill my rear diff up to make sure they actually put oil back in it. I'm going to take the fill plug off myself this weekend and make sure there's oil in there.

Funny too, they tried to tell me I needed a tranny flush and coolant flush, and I called them out on it and told them my fluids are 100k mile fluids, and then the guy back peddled and said well, its still I good idea to do it. Yeah, you can change your oil every 1000 miles, to keep it as clean as new, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Until the state of California shuts down all those places, they'll continue to try to scam people.

·
Registered
546 Posts
A person on the Subaru forums lost a drain plug after getting their oil changed a the JL, which lead to a blown motor. :/

·
Registered
573 Posts
see my post in the States/Southwest Region thread under Colorado for my lovely experience today that fits in here and should be a warning to all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts