1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
598 Posts
Turbo charging will do that for ya. Look what the Ford Taurus SHO is putting out. They aint no joke. Here some info on the Ford SHO.

Engine - 3.5 EcoBoost™ V6

The 3.5L EcoBoost™ is the first North American production twin-turbocharged direct-injection V6 engine. And Taurus SHO is the first and only vehicle in its class to feature the EcoBoost engine.* This engine provides better fuel economy** and fewer emissions as compared with a V8 engine. EcoBoost combines two different technologies – turbocharging and direct-injection – to deliver the performance of a much larger engine with the fuel economy of a smaller engine. It churns out 365 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque across a wide 1,500 – 5,000 rpm range.† And it does all that with an estimated 17 city/25 highway fuel economy.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turbo charging will do that for ya. Look what the Ford Taurus SHO is putting out. They aint no joke. Here some info on the Ford SHO.

The 3.5L EcoBoost™ is the first North American production twin-turbocharged direct-injection V6 engine. And Taurus SHO is the first and only vehicle in its class to feature the EcoBoost engine.* This engine provides better fuel economy** and fewer emissions as compared with a V8 engine. EcoBoost combines two different technologies – turbocharging and direct-injection – to deliver the performance of a much larger engine with the fuel economy of a smaller engine. It churns out 365 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque across a wide 1,500 – 5,000 rpm range.† And it does all that with an estimated 17 city/25 highway fuel economy.

FOMOCO has 2 old geezers from the GMs old Buick Grand National project working with Ford's SVT program now ... :eek:

·
Registered
306 Posts
When torque is needed, you'll be wishing you had a 5.7 engine. The 3.5 won't last when it's hauling anything more than an empty vehicle.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Turbo's usually make a lot of torque. What's that say about our little V6?

·
Registered
401 Posts

So if the taurus only gets 17/ 25 MPG how the he!! is the f150 that is shaped like a brick and weighs a ton more going to get 23 mpg.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So if the taurus only gets 17/ 25 MPG how the he!! is the f150 that is shaped like a brick and weighs a ton more going to get 23 mpg.
Could be they will put out a model with fairly high gearing to get that rating, possibly using the 3.08 gears or something. Won't tow all that much but will get the mpg (at least the rating anyway!).

I am thinking time will tell on this motor as far as longevity goes. Personally I would not want to be one of the first ones to own it. I also agree that it does not seem like it could possibly hold up that long if worked hard.

I would rather have a V-8 for another reason, they just sound way better to me! I think if I were looking a Ford (which I am not) I would go for the new 6.2.

It is about time Ford came out with new motors for their trucks though and these do seem interesting. It will be interesting to see how they stack up in the tests, etc.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm glad to see Ford attempting 'interesting' engine choices. I've driven a couple new F150's. When you compare model and cost with features offered,the 'gap' is narrow and maybe about to get 'slammed shut'. I'm ready to buy from an American owned company,'IF' they were to build the truck in the USA that is. Building 'em in Brazil,Canada and Mexico ain't cuttin' it! :badidea:

·
Registered
471 Posts
If I had $40k laying around I'd by an SHO right now. Where else can you get that kind of power in a 4-door sedan at that price?

This turbo V6 is a replacement for displacement. Having that much torque across the entire powerband is a wonderful seat-of-the-pants feeling. I would opt for this turbo V6 over the naturally aspirated 5.4L any day.

Uhg. I miss my '03 Cobra. What a car. To bad two child seats wouldn't fit....

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Here's what I already said on the other thread regarding this...
I agree with the nay-sayers... the 6.2L may be a viable choice, but a supercharged v6 probably won't reach those numbers.

Here's an excerpt from Car & Driver's testing 2010 Ford Taurus SHO - Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver:

"What we now have is a Taurus SHO that weighs 4346 pounds—998 pounds more than the original....Ford’s 3.5-liter “EcoBoost” V-6 makes 365 horsepower at 5500 rpm and 350 pound-feet of torque at 3500 rpm. The engine features direct fuel injection, variable intake-valve timing, and two small turbochargers that put out a maximum of 12 psi of boost....except perhaps our as-tested fuel economy of 16 mpg. Even at a steady 80 mph, our Taurus had trouble topping 20 mpg....It rips to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds"

So, throwing that engine into a nearly 6000lb truck...? No, I don't see it as a "Performance Option." Zero-to-60 of 5.2 secs is good for the Taurus at 4300lbs, but adding 1700lbs in a truck seems like adding an anchor.
...I would opt for this turbo V6 over the naturally aspirated 5.4L any day....
Exactly, but NOT over my 5.7

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yea, its nice that Ford is experimenting and I hope this new engine is successful. There are a lot of people that drive a full size pickup as a family sedan and rarely, if ever, tow or haul serious weight. If Ford can find some way to get this engine into an F-150 and get 20 mpg's and decent acceleration, I am sure there is a market for it. Personally, I bought the big V8 as overkill for towing. I too am curious to see how the turbo V6 lasts as a tow vehicle over the long term.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
If I had $40k laying around I'd by an SHO right now. Where else can you get that kind of power in a 4-door sedan at that price?

This turbo V6 is a replacement for displacement. Having that much torque across the entire powerband is a wonderful seat-of-the-pants feeling. I would opt for this turbo V6 over the naturally aspirated 5.4L any day.

Uhg. I miss my '03 Cobra. What a car. To bad two child seats wouldn't fit....

Interesting comment, and maybe one (of many) reasons Pontiac doesn't exist any longer.

FWIW, because internet tone is difficult to read sometimes, I 100% agree with you even though we are both 100% wrong....;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Actually, I believe Pontiac was putting a 6 or 6.2 liter 400-plus horsepower V8 in the G8 slightly before its demise. I think one of the reasons Pontiac is dead was because GM invested in way more advertising for its most mundane brands when they sucked than when they started getting it right. All their advertising campaigns since gas prices went up concentrated on boring 30 mpg sedans that looked like appliances and offered nothing particularly special to the driving experience. They wanted everybody to know about their efforts to compete with the Accord and the Civic and not about some of the more fun stuff they were doing.

·
Registered
918 Posts
And I still don't see Ford putting a V6 in their F150 that makes comparable numbers to the 5.0. Regardless of how and where they peak on a graph, everybody focuses on the numbers themselves. The manufacturers know this. They won't invest in development for a 5.0 V8 that'll probably get 14 mpg and then also a V6 that makes the same power but gets 20 mpg.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife's 2010 Subaru WRX has four doors, does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds per Car and Driver, is rated at 20/25 mpg, but my wife gets 25mpg average, and 30mpg on the highway, and cost under $30k out the door for the Limited with everything but navi. And has great AWD to boot.

I'll pass.

·
Registered
404 Posts
.Another rumor is this 400+ HP V-6 engine available in F-100 as a SVT option. ... :confused:
This has peaked my interest...not the 400HP SVT option, but the fact they they are going to produce the F100. Sounds to me like its going to be about the size of the Gen 1 Tundra which would probably have been perfect for me. The '09 Tacoma was a bit too small so the Tundra was the logical choice, although I will admit that it's sort of on the large side for what I really need. I still love my Tundra with its 381HP 5.7L but might be looking at this F100 in the future.

-Wes

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My wife's 2010 Subaru WRX has four doors, does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds per Car and Driver, is rated at 20/25 mpg, but my wife gets 25mpg average, and 30mpg on the highway, and cost under $30k out the door for the Limited with everything but navi. And has great AWD to boot.

I'll pass.

That WRX is one sweeet ride, corners like a slot car and is pure fun to drive. ... :D

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This has peaked my interest...not the 400HP SVT option, but the fact they they are going to produce the F100. Sounds to me like its going to be about the size of the Gen 1 Tundra which would probably have been perfect for me. The '09 Tacoma was a bit too small so the Tundra was the logical choice, although I will admit that it's sort of on the large side for what I really need. I still love my Tundra with its 381HP 5.7L but might be looking at this F100 in the future.

-Wes

That is what piqued my interests too .... possibly a 400 HP V6 in a Tacoma sized pickup. ... :eek:

I love Toyotas, but like the idea that Ford has the [email protected] to even try this. ... :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts